Dreams In The Witch House / Stuart Gordon MOH release?

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Anyone see this film? KyFi?

I'm aware there's probably not many HPL fans visiting this forum, but just wanted to hear any good or bad reviews (if anyone's actually even seen it yet), before possibly wasting money on it?

Re-animator 1 - 2 and From Beyond are excellent Stuart Gordon adaptations but I'm somewhat weary of this (his possibly) most recent attempt.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lickinblood

i love lovecraft,and i am also interested in this movie,but i have seen the trailer,and i am not sure if its good

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Havent seen it, but have read decent reviews on it. From what Ive read Carpenter's "Cigarette Burns" seems to be the best of the series. And also read there was a never aired Miike film in the series. Unfortunately I havent seen it on any release schedules. :\

Heres a few reviews for Dreams In The Witch House

and a must if you're a fan of Lovecraft or Gordon. BTW, the version sold at Best Buy in the US has an extra feature comparing the script to screen you can't get anywhere else. The dvds are worth it for the extras alone if you like the directors doing each eps, they include career overviews of the directors which are VERY well done.

GwailMoFo, "Cigarette Burns" reminds me of Videodrome (Debra Harry), cool movie.

Linn, thank you, I am very surprised and it's welcomed, I'll pick it up tomorrow. Your word is gold brother.

Haven't seen this one, although I'm tempted just to see friggin' Brown Jenkin' on film! :)

I haven't cared for too many Lovecraft adpatations I've seen. The Haunted Palace with Vincent Price did an OK job, bringing the Necronomicon into the story and setting it in an old New England village. I haven't cared that much for some of the later ones-- I'm not a big fan of gore and graphic violence, and to me the stories HAVE to be in the settings that Lovecraft put them in---I thought the recent Dagon was OK, but the modern setting just took a lot away from it, for me. But I still give a hearty recommendation to Call of Cthulhu---they really nailed that one, IMO, as far as really capturing the Lovecraft vibe in spades.

GwaiLoMoFo,

Thanks for the link. It looks like it could be petty good. By the way how do you post website links for people to access? I'm very new to using computers and would like to be able to do that sometimes?

KyFi,

I know exactly what your talkin about. In fact years ago, even though I thought Re-Animator was a good film, it had very little in comparison to the original and I was disappointed. In fact Re-Animator and From Beyond, Gordon's first two adaptations were based on very short stories, From Beyond most especially. I thought From Beyond (the movie) held up a little better as a result. Since the story is so short I felt as though there was more that should've been described and Gordon kind of finished describing it.

The modern settings definitely detract from the charm (historical settings of ye old Salem, Kingsport, or the Rue d'Auseil etc.) of the atmosphere Lovecraft so personally conveyed. I saw Dagon and I agree it was only o.k. In fact I don't own any Lovecraft adaptations other than Re-Animator and From Beyond. I want to see The Haunted Palace too (Vincent Price is great). I'm definitely pickin up Call Of Cthulhu and like I said earlier the Cool Air adaptation might be pretty cool too.

I must say that for fiction, Lovecraft and Kafka, are two of my very faves. Literature from eighty to a hundred years ago still yet to be surpassed. Edgar Rice Burroughs with his Martian and Venusian tales are'nt so shabby either.

We purists are just gonna have to wait patiently for respectful adaptations to be produced.

So few and far between.

Yeah, I like a lot of the older authors. I'm a big fan of J. Verne and HG Wells, as well as Arthur Conan Doyle, too. Edgar Rice Burroghs is one of those guys that I'm sure I'd like but I've never gotten around to reading.

But yes, the Haunted Palace is definitely worth seeing. Great looking anamorphic widescreen print on the current DVD. Even though the title is taken from a Poe poem, the story is pretty much The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, as I recall, and it's set in Arkham. Great score and decent production values---one of the better Corman/Price movies of the early 60's.

Oh, and I think I saw on the website for the Call of Cthulu DVD that they are possibly going to adapt The Whisperer in the Darkness next----I would love to see that one!

To see a faithful adaptation of the Whisperer In Darkness would be very cool.

I've been reading HG Wells' War Of The Worlds presently. It's of course a very well written story. The man was a rather proliferate writer it seems. I'm not sure but is'nt this the first science fiction novel (or novelette) ever scripted and published. I don't know of any sci-fi stories published before 1898.

Did you see the latest re-make?

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
By the way how do you post website links for people to access?

Pretty simple. Just right click the address of the website you want to link and select copy. Then select the link option on the left hand side of the forum comment entry/reply section. Then right click inside the link and select paste and press ok.

"I've been reading HG Wells' War Of The Worlds presently. It's of course a very well written story. The man was a rather proliferate writer it seems. I'm not sure but is'nt this the first science fiction novel (or novelette) ever scripted and published. I don't know of any sci-fi stories published before 1898.

Did you see the latest re-make? "

Yeah, I quite liked the recent War of the Worlds. I think Cruise is kind of a dufus in real life, but I have to say I generally enjoy him in the movies. And it seems like with any Spielberg movie, you always get at least a few absolutely fantastic images and scenes.

I know Wells was definitely one of the earlier sci-fi writers. I think Jules Verne was writing some pure sci-fi a few decades before that though, with 20,000 Leagues, From the Earth to the Moon, etc. And, maybe you could technically consider Frankenstein (1818) as sci-fi? Anybody else know any earlier sci-fi writers?

I watched Dreams In The Witch House a few weeks ago and must say it is a pretty cool film. The star of the movie meets the very same fate Walter Gilman receives in HPL's actual story. Stuart Gordon did a decent job of this adaptation.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Watched "Cigarette Burns" last nite and liked it alot as well. Good acting, special effects were well done, good produciton values for a made for cable flick. I was sad it was only an hour long. Could have easily made a good full-length feature outta that script. Looking forward to seeing more in the series. Don Coscarelli's "Incident On And Off A Mountain Road" looks kick ass as well. I'm a fan of Coscarelli's Phantasm and I see that Angus Scrimm (aka "The Tall Man" from Phantasm) is in it. "Deer Woman" looks interesting, well the main actress was absolutely GORGEOUS!!! :lol I mean WOW, that girl is FINE!

Archived