Western TV shows w/ the best kung fu choreography.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

There have been a few TV shows in the West that used kung fu or martial arts, some to greater or lesser degrees. Which one in your opinion had the best kung fu or fight or action choreography.

My pic for overall best action sequences.... all time is:

Hercules and Zena.

The action in these two TV show was second to none IMO.

Your thoughts please.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DeathFuMaster

I like some of the Power Rangers stuff(not the stock footage of course), Walker Texas Ranger has some good stuff. Spartacus has some good fight scenes. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

ShaOW!linDude

MARTIAL LAW starring Sammo Hung was, to me, the best Western TV show to utilize martial arts. Unfortunately, they jacked up the story line and wound up canceling the show.

Also THE CROW: STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN starring Mark Dacascos was fantastic! You can buy the complete series on dvd. I have it.

I'll go ahead and toss in KUNG FU starring David Carradine. I know many may take issue with that but for the 70's it was a good introduction for many to martial arts. Not all the eps and fights were cheesy. There's 3 seasons of that out on dvd, Need to get those myself.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Just TV shows.

Ahh I like the responses so far...But Power Rangers was for little kids and to me trite but still your right I did watch them a few times and agreed they had some good KF And Sammo's TV show I was not in a position to watch it so did not see many.

But for me Xena and Hercules were the balm baby some of the best action serious and comedic i ever saw.

Never saw the Dacascos TV show. GOOD. Yes I agree Kung Fu the TV show was our beginning into kung fu & kung fu movies (speaking of the USA) and little did some of us know back then how we would be affected by this genre.

thanks

GD Y-Y

silver hermit

sophia crawford doubled for buffy in buffy the vampire slayer

the best was the 60's version of batman POW BIFF BOOM:nerd:

The short-lived 2003 series BLACK SASH had some nice fight choreography as well. Dean Choe and Andy Cheng collaborated well to focus on bagua, which was the style Russell Wong's former cop turned kung fu teacher/bounty hunter taught his students. However, they used other styles as well including mainly kickboxing and at times TKD. Cheng had a memorable cameo in the pilot episode as someone Wong went after...why was it memorable? Cheng was in drag! LOL

ShaOW!linDude

Dude! I forgot about that show. I remember that. I liked it even though it was a little cheesy sometimes. I remember the action being not too bad.

ShaOW!linDude

Oh, oh, oh! I thought of a couple more.

HIGHLANDER: THE SERIES --- starring Adrian Paul. My wife was a huge fan of that show. I never watched probably more than a half dozen eps myself but it had some MA and swordplay in it.

RENEGADE ---- starring Lorenzo Lamas. Another show my wife was a fan of. It always had some MA per ep in it as well.

What about:

The Master

Star Trek (c'mon William Shatner's two hand hammer fist is deadly)

The A Team?

All of their fights were as good as Hercules and Xena!

Seriously, Street Justice and Black Sash weren't bad. Vanishing Son had a few good moments, too. I honestly don't think I ever saw The Crow TV show... I don't remember if Mortal Kombat was any good (I seem to remember a hot redhead, though) although I remember WMAC Masters was terrible. I have a vague memory of thinking that the US Kamen Rider show was better than Power Rangers and finally I remember reading seferal articles about the martial artists involved in the Conan TV series but I honestly do not remember if it was any good. Wasn't there briefly a TMNT with people in suits in the '90s? I seem to remember some decent martial artists being involved with that as well, but I might be confusing it with the movies.

ShaOW!linDude

Hey, ML

I'd encourage you to check out the tv series of THE CROW: STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN.

I don't know what cable provider you have. I have DirecTV and they air it on 2 channels:

EMYS --- Encore Mystery

EACT --- Encore Action

If your provider carries these channels, you might be in luck.

Usually they run early morning, like anywhere from 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. You might could record a couple to watch and see what you think.

Oh, oh, oh! I thought of a couple more.

HIGHLANDER: THE SERIES --- starring Adrian Paul. My wife was a huge fan of that show. I never watched probably more than a half dozen eps myself but it had some MA and swordplay in it.

RENEGADE ---- starring Lorenzo Lamas. Another show my wife was a fan of. It always had some MA per ep in it as well.

I'm a hardcore fan of Highlander The Series. Adrain Paul is epic with Hung Gar and using the Katana during the sword fights, the acting and storylines were never dull to me.

Renegade i'm a fan of the show.

Vanishing son--- Starring Russel Wong. Although i didn't like the final episode but the rest of them were impressive with decent acting, fight scenes mostly done by Russel Wong. I followed the tel-flims before seeing the series as a kid.

Black Stash- Didn't care for it much i hated R J he anoyed me so much that i wished Russel would send a side kick towards his jaw to shut him up:xd: the Russel Wong parts were okay to watch, the younger cast members i could careless about although i didn't have a problem with the female cast members as much as the male cast members like RJ who i hate with a passion but that's enough about me ranting about Brandy's little brother who's a whoremaster and loser who lives off his sister's fame... oh did i mentioned how much sucks performing Kung Fu so much he makes Jaden Smith a Kung Fu master.

Wmac Masters-- Not a bad show with decent fight scenes and a decent cast. although the storylines were cheesy but the fight scenes made up for it.

Hey, ML

I'd encourage you to check out the tv series of THE CROW: STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN.

I don't know what cable provider you have. I have DirecTV and they air it on 2 channels:

EMYS --- Encore Mystery

EACT --- Encore Action

If your provider carries these channels, you might be in luck.

Usually they run early morning, like anywhere from 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. You might could record a couple to watch and see what you think.

I've got those. I'll do a search and maybe even see if it is on Netflix. It better not suck... the comic lost me when it jumped to a new character set but we'll see what the show has to offer.

ShaOW!linDude

ML ---- The show keeps to the Eric Draven character and supporting characters. I'm not all that familiar with the comic's story line. They may've tweaked it with the inclusion of other secondary characters/villains. There was one premise I thought was rather interesting regarding the use of "familiars".

You can get the whole series on dvd for, like, $30. You could probably find it cheaper than that.

Couldn't agree with you more!!

Agreed all the way i loved Street Justice when i was a kid. I became a fan of the great Bryan Genesse and his amazing Martial Arts skills ashame he never made it big.

I'm watching the first season of Street Justice at the moment. I'm from the UK and recently purchased the Canadian DVD sets. It's a great show.

I'm watching the first season of Street Justice at the moment. I'm from the UK and recently purchased the Canadian DVD sets. It's a great show.

Your lucky KenSakura that you have the DVD's, hopefully sometime this year ill be able to buy the DVD sets of Street Justice along with Highlander Season five and six.

Archived