Bruce Lee Hong Kong TVB 1973

sdog2006

Excuse my ignorance, but I have a few questions. Firstly, why was this broadcast considered infamous?

Secondly, and maybe I should know this, but why would anyone want to poison him?

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer
Excuse my ignorance, but I have a few questions. Firstly, why was this broadcast considered infamous?

Secondly, and maybe I should know this, but why would anyone want to poison him?

Well, to answer your first question, this appearance followed the "Lo Wei incident" and there was a moment where it appeared that while demonstrating a movement, apparently Bruce Lee shoved the interviewer quite hard. It was also Bruce Lee's final television appearance.

As for your second question, the list of reasons is long.

• Like 1

Here is an interview with Ivan Ho Bee, who interviewed Lee that night. Here Ho Bee discusses what went down.

The push Bruce Lee gave him was arranged pre-interview and wasn't really a big deal. Lee's reputation was faltering in Hong Kong, at that time, because he was perceived as being "severely" egotistical and up himself. That perhaps contributed to the audience reaction.

I personally don't feel Lee was poisoned but the Nepalese junk he was ingesting killed him - period. I've lost count of the amount of idiots who say things like "cannabis loves people" bla bla bla. Thing is they people have never taken the stuff Lee did and they don't have 1% body fat. Lee's body chemistry HAS TO BE factored in and rarely is. In my opinion he died of drug idiosyncrasy and was pre-warned two months earlier when he collapsed. Doesn't take a slide rule.

Whether someone purposefully laced his stash with something we'll never know but it is possible and, as one of the guys said, there was a long queue of enemies.

• Like 2

It was never established from where, did he get this cannibis... That would've seemed the way to go. Then who had access...

I think the real reason Betty and Chow didn't call for ambulance immediately is they were cleaning the apt. and getting rid of any questionable material that won implicate unsavory activity. It all backfired.

• Like 1

It is strange they would call a personal doctor in such an emergency situation. (As opposed to an emergency number). While reading about his last day, this was the biggest red flag to me, and what makes the situation seem very fishy, and points to possible poisoning.

With that said, taking multiple different types of drugs is usually not good. I did a little bit of research on it his death and these two seem to be te only reasonable explanations. (Drugs, foul play, or both)

Now for another question, why did he have so many enemies? This may sound like a dumb question, but I wasn't around during that time.. So to me, he was just an actor, and I'd think all of his philosophy shit caught fire well after his death.

• Like 1

He clearly had a big interest in philosophy and read a lot on the subject. The Bruce Lee estate has played a huge role in bringing more attention to this side of his character. I don't think it did catch on with the public until after his death?. But I could be wrong? his friends and the people who were there would be more informed about that.

A lot of actors and performers were jealous of him. He came onto the scene very quickly in Hong Kong and had a lot of box office success. Lee was also known to be someone who spoke his mind. He often did this on public radio interviews T.V shows and in magazines etc. Some things are not always best shared in public but he didn't appear to care.

He never had many positive things to say about the HK film industry either. If the triads were running as much of it as people say, then these comments were not not going to sit well with them. Refusing to cough up tea money is a big enough reason alone to be very hated there too.

The guy basically came to HK and starting changing the industry. There were many veterans of the business there that didn't like this change. Shaw's pretty much had the film industry to themselves in HK and Bruce Lee helped there small time rivals get big and fast.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

It was never established from where, did he get this cannibis... That would've seemed the way to go. Then who had access...

I think the real reason Betty and Chow didn't call for ambulance immediately is they were cleaning the apt. and getting rid of any questionable material that won implicate unsavory activity. It all backfired.

Once the inquest was completed, and the fix was in, the cannabis was dismissed. It was a cover up at government level over there.

I think Bruce was long gone by the time Chow got involved. Ting Pei was thick as mince and just looked on as he experienced convulsions and probably sat around praying for a miracle.

She would have been scared to call emergency services for fear of Bruce's reaction to any media attention. Just one big f*ck up, to say the least.

• Like 1

It is strange they would call a personal doctor in such an emergency situation. (As opposed to an emergency number). While reading about his last day, this was the biggest red flag to me, and what makes the situation seem very fishy, and points to possible poisoning.

With that said, taking multiple different types of drugs is usually not good. I did a little bit of research on it his death and these two seem to be te only reasonable explanations. (Drugs, foul play, or both)

Now for another question, why did he have so many enemies? This may sound like a dumb question, but I wasn't around during that time.. So to me, he was just an actor, and I'd think all of his philosophy shit caught fire well after his death.

The main enemies were triads who Lee refused to play ball with. Factor in that Lo Wei allegedly had serious connections with them and that is probably the number one murder/ conspiracy theory. With that said, you also have scores of people who he either insulted or beat the shit out of.

Take your pick bro.

• Like 1

Wonder why nobody ever interviewed the EMT 's who drove the ambulance?

Fine point mate. Dead by that time though.

Who went with him incidentally?

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer
Wonder why nobody ever interviewed the EMT 's who drove the ambulance?

Out of sight, out of mind. If you're not willing to go on the record, there'll be no record, right?

• Like 1

Cognoscente

Imagine if Bruce Lee never left HK in 1959. If he became a Shaw Brothers actor, there's a good chance that he would have gone on to do countless martial arts shows on TVB.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 6/23/2021 at 3:16 PM, Cognoscente said:

Imagine if Bruce Lee never left HK in 1959. If he became a Shaw Brothers actor, there's a good chance that he would have gone on to do countless martial arts shows on TVB.

If this had happened would his career have peaked in the 1960's?.

• Like 1

Cognoscente
On 1/30/2015 at 8:45 PM, sdog2006 said:

The main enemies were triads who Lee refused to play ball with. Factor in that Lo Wei allegedly had serious connections with them and that is probably the number one murder/ conspiracy theory. With that said, you also have scores of people who he either insulted or beat the shit out of.

In Clouse's Bruce Lee biography, Lo Wei said: "Raymond Chow phoned home from the restaurant to talk to Felicia, his wife, and she told him that she had seen Bruce on a television show with Ho Sho Sin and that he had scolded me and said that he would watch me die. A great many friends came to me, angry. But I was not injured and I said let it be. They said he also knocked the master of ceremonies down, but I did not see this for myself. Ten days later, he was dead."

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
On 6/25/2021 at 7:16 PM, Cognoscente said:

Probably not because, unlike Jimmy Wang Yu, Bruce was a proper martial artist.

Ironically, Bruce Thomas, author of Bruce Lee: Fighting Spirit, wrote "unlike the imposter Carradine , Jimmy Wang Yu was in fact a good martial artist , as were others , like Jet Lee and David Chiang ."

• Like 3

Coliseum1972

Well , Tyson and Lesnar beat the shit out of quite few people , doesn't mean people want them dead though

Cocaine vs murder , at this point I believe cocaine killed Lee and like with Elvis it was his own fault

• Like 1

I have read (some of, anyway) the Bob Baker letters, sad confirmation of things I really didn't want to believe were true, but I do wonder why was there no mention of the presence of cocaine in Bruce's system either from the May, '73 incident, his checkup at UCLA shortly thereafter, the autopsy report, or during the inquest after Bruce's death? No one hesitated to reveal that he had ingested marijuana, why would the same doctors cover up cocaine use if there was evidence of it? I'm not denying (much as I'd like to be able to) that Bruce used cocaine, just questioning it's direct contribution to his demise if no one reported it's presence in his system  around or at the time of his death.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
On 7/3/2021 at 1:53 PM, Killer Meteor said:

Ironically, Bruce Thomas, author of Bruce Lee: Fighting Spirit, wrote "unlike the imposter Carradine , Jimmy Wang Yu was in fact a good martial artist , as were others , like Jet Lee and David Chiang ."

He should have wrote "Jimmy Wang Yu was a good fighter" 

• Like 2

tomgray2404
On 7/10/2021 at 5:11 AM, Bruce said:

I have read (some of, anyway) the Bob Baker letters, sad confirmation of things I really didn't want to believe were true, but I do wonder why was there no mention of the presence of cocaine in Bruce's system either from the May, '73 incident, his checkup at UCLA shortly thereafter, the autopsy report, or during the inquest after Bruce's death? No one hesitated to reveal that he had ingested marijuana, why would the same doctors cover up cocaine use if there was evidence of it? I'm not denying (much as I'd like to be able to) that Bruce used cocaine, just questioning it's direct contribution to his demise if no one reported it's presence in his system  around or at the time of his death.

We need to consider the very real possibility that HK didn't test for cocaine at that time. This was 50 years ago - pathology still in its infancy, especially in the Orient -  and cocaine was almost non-existent in the colony. If it was easy to get a hold of, then why the hell was Bruce taking HUGE risks of having it sent overseas?

Cannabis, on the other hand, was easy to find because it was being consumed.

Also, it's important not to judge Bruce Lee on today's parameters. He was a child of sixties America, and drugs were not frowned upon in the same way they are now. There was actually literature being passed around places in LA encouraging people to try drugs. Can you imagine? I can't because I was born in 75.

• Like 1