Bruce Lee photos - 1940 - 1973

I Am Caine

On 7/19/2019 at 7:35 PM, leon00 said:

d97029b866669fb63a93ac241ca4c161.jpg

This wuxia picture and the others taken at the Shaws' studios make me think that it would have been great to see Bruce Lee in a wuxia movie, and I'm sure that he would have been excellent ! Too bad that it never happened...

• Like 2

On 10/9/2019 at 7:33 AM, Phantom Dreamer said:

Bruce Lee enjoying an evening out with some fans for they are the ones who made it all possible.

71083885_228578744776606_5176195973243343492_n.jpg

Some fans ? Isn't it Ting Pei and Unicorn Chan ?

• Like 3

On 10/26/2019 at 9:42 PM, ShawAngela said:

Well...The quoting didn't work...The picture shown in the post I wanted to quote is exactly the one I found this morning on ebay and for which the seller asks for a crazy price...

How much did they want for the image, was it signed at all by anyone?.

38 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:
On 10/26/2019 at 10:42 PM, ShawAngela said:

Well...The quoting didn't work...The picture shown in the post I wanted to quote is exactly the one I found this morning on ebay and for which the seller asks for a crazy price...

How much did they want for the image, was it signed at all by anyone?.

700 USD as a buy-it-now item, and around 90 or 100 USD as a bidding item, if I remember well.

Didn't you take a look to the ebay link ?

From what I remember, it wasn't signed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Didn't you take a look to the ebay link ? 

I should have just looked at it the link again lol.

From what I remember, it wasn't signed.

700 USD as a buy-it-now item, and around 90 or 100 USD as a bidding item, if I remember well.

I'm no expert but it might be an orignal picture taken from the actual negative?, rather than a reproduction.

Taken from the Shaw Brother's studio costume/screen test photo shoot. This had no connection to the earlier Golden Harvest period movie project.

BL3083.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Phantom Dreamer
On 10/26/2019 at 12:48 PM, ShawAngela said:

Some fans ? Isn't it Ting Pei and Unicorn Chan ?

Yes, Bruce Lee's biggest fans. Most of the time when I post a pic that includes them, I refer to them as "fans".

• Like 1

With multi-talented Hong Kong entertainer Lydia Shum, was this photo or footage capture taken backstage at HKTVB?.

BL3305.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

On 10/30/2019 at 11:12 PM, DragonClaws said:

Taken from the Shaw Brother's studio costume/screen test photo shoot. This had no connection to the earlier Golden Harvest period movie project.

There was also a period movie planned with Golden Harvest ? Are there any pictures of the project ? What would have been the plot ?

I recently got a movie poster magazine with all (I think) the pictures that have been taken at Shaws' studios, and I think that it's really too bad that Bruce Lee didn't have the luck to live old enough to be able to play in these period movies, it would have been great to see him in a wuxia movie...

• Like 2

On 11/2/2019 at 11:15 PM, DragonClaws said:

Well, it seems that I'm not very skilled when I want to quote a picture in a post...

I can't believe what is written in this French page...Bruce reading an article on French boxing techniques and savate and deciding to learn them and transforming them in Jeet Kune Do...Who can believe this, here ?

Maybe I'm too suspicious and it's true, but it's difficult for me to believe this...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

There was also a period movie planned with Golden Harvest ? Are there any pictures of the project ? What would have been the plot ?

I'm under the impression there were a number of costume movie projects/idea's. Northern leg Southern Fist being one such example, the plots a little complicated to condense down into just a few sentences. The were period costume screen test shoots at both Golden Harvest in 1972 and later at Shaw Brother's in 1973.

The following excerpts from Steve Kerridges Bruce Lee Forever magazine, will be of interest to you. You might still be able to pick up a copy of the magazine special, they are taken from?.

cd9d304e9eb0f79e91281f0525b8565b.jpg

lee shaw45.jpg

Any pictures featuring this red brick back-drop, re-used from the Fist of Fury set. Were taken at Golden Harvest in 1972. You will also note that Bruce Lee looked fuller in the face, and was much healthier here.

fccd42469798e1a45735fa20f81b17e0.jpg

image.png

4228136229_16b3f1e771_z.jpg

4228902508_bdbf04230b_z.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

That's the pictures I have.

So, I was mistaken. I was absolutely convinced that these had been shot at the Shaws' studios instead of Golden Harvest (I must confess that I haven't had time to read the text of the magazine...).

• Like 2

Bruce Lee is a national hero in China for the way he embodies Chinese pride and nationalism in his movies. Yet many in mainland China missed him the first time around – in the early 1970s – because movies such as Enter the Dragon and Fists of Fury were banned by Chairman Mao Zedong's Communist government as spiritual pollution and rightist sentimentality.

Source- https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/the-bruce-lee-legend-956708.html

Out in Hong Kong with his wife Linda, sporting the hip Western 70's look that up-set the Hong Kong press so much. Long hair, flowery loud shirt, beard, and sunglasses.

BL718.jpg

BL713.jpg

BL710.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, DragonClaws said:

image.png

Aren't these three lobby cards from bandits from Shantung ? If so, Bruce Lee was maybe supposed to play in it and made some tests to see which role suited him the most among Pai Ying, Sammo and Chang Yi's roles ?

At least, I seem to recognize Pai Ying, Sammo and Chang Yi, but the pictures are small and maybe I'm mistaken...

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 3/23/2020 at 3:47 PM, ShawAngela said:

Aren't these three lobby cards from bandits from Shantung ?

You are right, they are from Bandits from Shantung, there were a number of Bruce Lee period movie ideas floating around at the time. Some of these projects would go onto make it to the big screen, only with different star's.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2