Bruce Lee photos - 1940 - 1973

I Am Caine

3 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Not Bruce Lee but a few Ho Chung Tao photos, the first one was taken this year by a fellow fan who got to meet up with him for a meal.

Nice images, thanks for sharing those @De Ming Li.

They would be more suited to the Bruceploitation thread?.

• Like 1

One for @Fist of the Heavenly Sky.

The Little Dragon talks to the dog handler on the set of The Big Boss, that guy must be hot wearing that padded jacket, in the Thai heat.

c5e44769d5f8ee1602da170b961920a4.jpg

The warrior spirit.

5e80e2a28f0c5355924c8a3924324d23.jpg

Lee is setting up some sort of punching target?, while the old Thai fighter with the flat nose, gets ready to take a hit.

Taken during a break in filming The Big Boss.

17b38b5d14edf9f65d7daf17eb1debca.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

One for @Fist of the Heavenly Sky.

The Little Dragon talks to the dog handler on the set of The Big Boss, that guy must be hot wearing that padded jacket, in the Thai heat.

Lee is setting up some sort of punching target?, while the old Thai fighter with the flat nose, gets ready to take a hit.

Taken during a break in filming The Big Boss.

Haven't seen the 1st pic before at all. Always interesting to see freshly scanned pics even after all these years. Gotta admire the dedication of the padded jacket guy.

I'll go out in a limb and assume the guy on the right in the last pic is a Muay Thai instructor. I honestly refuse to believe they did not include at least one scene on BB displaying that fighting style.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

I'll go out in a limb and assume the guy on the right in the last pic is a Muay Thai instructor.

He could be, and maybe they did showcase the Thai style, but they later scrapped the idea/scenes?. Just how much of the original film, ended up in Lo Wei version?.

Martial Arts cinema was still very young at the time, I think just having the movie filmed in Thailand was a big enough novelty, without using the Thai fighting style too . Golden Harvest/Sammo Hung did a better job of showcasing that, in The Tournament(1974) starring Angela Mao and Carter Wong.

18 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Gotta admire the dedication of the padded jacket guy.

Yeah, hes either the dog handler, or he makes his living as a human punch bag.

• Like 2

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
5 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

He could be, and maybe they did showcase the Thai style, but they later scrapped the idea/scenes?. Just how much of the original film, ended up in Lo Wei version?.

Martial Arts cinema was still very young at the time, I think just having the movie filmed in Thailand was a big enough novelty, without using the Thai fighting style too . Golden Harvest/Sammo Hung did a better job of showcasing that, in The Tournament(1974) starring Angela Mao and Carter Wong.

Yeah, hes either the dog handler, or he makes his living as a human punch bag.

According to Tony Liu, the initial script for TBB was written quite “flat” and not in a complete manner. For that matter not much work was done with the first director Wu Chia-Hsiang because he was such a pain in the butt. 

Bruce Lee and Lo Wei had subsequently made many amendments to the storyline. The brothel scenes were all added by Lo Wei and it was his initiative to get the character, Cheng Chao-An for the third and last trip to the brothel. 

Bruce and Lo had heated arguments over this and other scenes but Lo finally convinced Bruce to shoot it which he deemed was justified by the reason given by Lo, i.e. to make the character more human. This scene was never found in the original script. 

There was a 3-hour rough cut of the movie that may have included more bits of gore, sleaziness and even Muay Thai, but it remains to be seen.

Duel of Fists (1971), which came out about a month before BB, was not only set in Thailand but Muay Thai was pretty much the main focus of it's story.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

There was a 3-hour rough cut of the movie that may have included more bits of gore, sleaziness and even Muay Thai, but it remains to be seen.

Where did you hear this?, I know all movies have rough cuts that run longer than the final cuts, but I've never heard about this before.

9 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

According to Tony Liu, the initial script for TBB was written quite “flat” and not in a complete manner. For that matter not much work was done with the first director Wu Chia-Hsiang because he was such a pain in the butt. 

My only knowledge off the first director getting replaced, was due to him putting more focus on James Tien's role.

• Like 2

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
4 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Where did you hear this?, I know all movies have rough cuts that run longer than the final cuts, but I've never heard about this before.

My only knowledge off the first director getting replaced, was due to him putting more focus on James Tien's role.

I believe it's mentioned on IMDB's trivia section, but I don't recall from the top of my head.

Tony claimed James Tien’s character initially was supposed to have more screen time than Bruce as Bruce was just playing a secondary role to Tien. But after the director switch, Bruce outshone Tien and Lo decided to change the script by giving more screen time to Bruce and cut Tien’s. He also claimed Tien’s role was not murdered in the original script but subsequent changes were made and Tien's character was sacrificed for the sake of Bruce’s character.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

I believe it's mentioned on IMDB's trivia section, but I don't recall from the top of my head.

Take that information with a grain of salt, no doubt it would have had a much longer rough cut. Only IMDB can often be wrong, best to get a second or third source if you can.

4 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Tony claimed James Tien’s character initially was supposed to have more screen time than Bruce as Bruce was just playing a secondary role to Tien. But after the director switch, Bruce outshone Tien and Lo decided to change the script by giving more screen time to Bruce and cut Tien’s. He also claimed Tien’s role was not murdered in the original script but subsequent changes were made and Tien's character was sacrificed for the sake of Bruce’s character.

I've read over the years bits about James Tien not being a fan of Lee, due to this. He might have seen himself as a big star, if his starring role hadnt been taken from him?. How true those rumours are I dont know?. He did go onto to accept a role in Game Of Death, so things cant have been that bad?. He's never appeared in a video interview, and I'm not sure if he's even granted a written interview with anyone?.

If Lo Wie hadn't been drafted in, maybe Bruce Lee would never have shot to fame with his first Hong Kong film?.

• Like 2

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
6 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I've read over the years bits about James Tien not being a fan of Lee, due to this. He might have seen himself as a big star, if his starring role hadnt been taken from him?. How true those rumours are I dont know?. He did go onto to accept a role in Game Of Death, so things cant have been that bad?. He's never appeared in a video interview, and I'm not sure if he's even granted a written interview with anyone?.

If Lo Wie hadn't been drafted in, maybe Bruce Lee would never have shot to fame with his first Hong Kong film?.

I don't personally believe that, considering that James Tien still went on to appear on plenty of HK movies after the fact, and Bruce did not experience actual global stardom until after he passed away.

It's hard to tell what would've been of BB without Lo Wei, but no doubt that had he been on the directing helm since the beginning  (I.e. no Wu Chia-Hsiang), no doubt he would've doubled down on the violence and sleeze, lol.

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer

Peter Chan, Bruce Lee and Lam Ching Ying on the set of Enter The Dragon. It's weird that neither of those 2 guys appeared in the film Bruce had the most control of, Way of the Dragon, as they had appeared to be in Lee's inner circle of stuntmen.

DQCBPI-UMAAZYw7.jpg

• Like 3

On 02/12/2017 at 9:33 AM, Phantom Dreamer said:

It's weird that neither of those 2 guys appeared in the film Bruce had the most control of, Way of the Dragon, as they had appeared to be in Lee's inner circle of stuntmen.

They may have been working on anohter movie?, its said that Lee would help get Peter Chan out of jail, after a night of drunken fighting.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Phantom Dreamer
On 11/30/2017 at 9:06 AM, DragonClaws said:

Relaxing after a few drinks, in a Hong Kong restuarant.

maxresdefault.jpg

Is this the same woman, Margaret Miller???

63705757.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Looks like her dude, but I'm not 100% sure about that one.

aa12.jpg

Chuck Norris and Bob Wall rehearsing the WOTD script?

Bruce-Lee-Rare--Unseen-Photo-Collection6

Lee with fellow Martial Artist Joseph Hayes, sometime during the late 60's.

• Like 3

On 03/12/2017 at 1:25 AM, Phantom Dreamer said:

Here's a picture which confirms it is Margeret Miller, well spotted @Phantom Dreamer.

61064243.jpg

And another, which is only a slight variation of the image you posted.

63705742.jpg

• Like 3

On 30/11/2017 at 6:06 PM, DragonClaws said:

Relaxing after a few drinks, in a Hong Kong restuarant.

maxresdefault.jpg

I thought the above image was taken in a restuarant, its appears I was wrong.

Judging by the uncropped image below, it was taken back stage during a TVB appearance?.

11188363_903139716415165_483817231524998

• Like 3