Bruce Lee photos - 1940 - 1973

I Am Caine

Phantom Dreamer

Crowded Game of Death set. Does anyone know how many soundstages Golden Harvest had? When Game of Death was being filmed, how many soundstages were used? Did they just redecorate the same soundstage for the different floors?

56118274.jpg

• Like 3

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
3 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Crowded Game of Death set. Does anyone know how many soundstages Golden Harvest had? When Game of Death was being filmed, how many soundstages were used? Did they just redecorate the same soundstage for the different floors?

Back in the day it wasn't exactly uncommon to use the same soundstage over and over for a movie, but also for different projects. I'd suspect Bruce didn't quite have a lot of money to burn so he resorted to that.

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer
9 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Back in the day it wasn't exactly uncommon to use the same soundstage over and over for a movie, but also for different projects. I'd suspect Bruce didn't quite have a lot of money to burn so he resorted to that.

So theoretically, the Way of the Dragon restaurant set, the Game of Death, and any of the Enter interiors were filmed in the same spot? All the stuff I've read about the Golden Harvest studio building rarely go any deeper than it was a "former textile mill".

• Like 1

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
4 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

So theoretically, the Way of the Dragon restaurant set, the Game of Death, and any of the Enter interiors were filmed in the same spot? All the stuff I've read about the Golden Harvest studio building rarely go any deeper than it was a "former textile mill".

Golden Harvest was still a relatively "small" studio back then. Warner Brothers was obviously an entirely different beast, so no doubt they spent quite a quid for the interiors.

Anyway, back on track. Wonder who the straw hat guy is!

7s1MYjU.jpg

Twins?

LQNQLnV.jpg

Always the object of desire for women, no matter where he goes or what the circumstances are.

x3amQGn.jpg

He's not even hoverhanding, what a ruffian!

HIDFSl9.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Does anyone know how many soundstages Golden Harvest had? When Game of Death was being filmed, how many soundstages were used? Did they just redecorate the same soundstage for the different floors?

Do't quote me on this, but I think they had three sound stages at the time they made the BL movies?. Large sound stage at the top of the hill, and two smaller ones near the car park entrance. I'm not sure how many sound stages they employed for Game Of Death?. They were filming Tae Kwon Do Strikes at the same time as Way Of The Dragon, which means they had plenty enough space for both productions. Enter The Dragon was a bigger production, so maybe that took up the whole of the studios sound stages?.

The shot you posted of the Game Of Death set, was taken when some Japanese fans visisted the studios. You can see Wu Gnan enjoying a cigerette break, in the back ground.

An Old shot of the Golden Harvest studios, taken from the hills behind the studio.

Golden-Harvest-angled-aerial-photo-hongk

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Phantom Dreamer
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Do't quote me on this, but I think they had three sound stages at the time they made the BL movies?. Large sound stage at the top of the hill, and two smaller ones near the car park entrance. I'm not sure how many sound stages they employed for Game Of Death?. They were filming Tae Kwon Do Strikes at the same time as Way Of The Dragon, which means they had plenty enough space for both productions. Enter The Dragon was a bigger production, so maybe that took up the whole of the studios sound stages?.

The shot you posted of the Game Of Death set, was taken when some Japanese fans visisted the studios. You can see Wu Gnan enjoying a cigerette break, in the back ground

I think Hapkido was filming around the same time as WOTD. When Taekwondo Strikes was afterward.

Wu *Ngan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

I think Hapkido was filming around the same time as WOTD. When Taekwondo Strikes was afterward.

Thats right, When Tae Kwon Do Strikes was being completed in 1973, when Lee visited that set.

QggqS0d.jpg

Visiting the set of Hap Ki Do(1972)

• Like 4

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
6 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Wu *Ngan

WTS was a very solid flick too. A pity that it was Jhoon Rhee's only film, as his performance on it was otherwise quite stellar. Wonder if there were any pics of Bruce visiting the set for that movie?

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer
3 hours ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

WTS was a very solid flick too. A pity that it was Jhoon Rhee's only film, as his performance on it was otherwise quite stellar. Wonder if there were any pics of Bruce visiting the set for that movie?

Of course, I searched for them here, but perhaps they were wiped out during this site's August outage.

10hu7g9.jpg

2ni1y6g.jpg

2yjzuvk.jpg

• Like 3

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
10 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Of course, I searched for them here, but perhaps they were wiped out during this site's August outage.

Much obliged. Bruce really loved those slick shades!

This pic was widely available before, albeit in black-and-white and with a cropped resolution. Anyway, Cheng seems disheartened about having to say goodbye to his Third Uncle. Also, in hindsight the white shirt barely fits on him.

eUT5HE2g.jpg

Cheng tries his best to put up a first good impression at work.

rg5dgEvg.jpg

This is where the real fun starts. Also, more bystanders cheering in the back.

ZqdT9v3.jpg

Honestly can't recall any other behind-the-scenes instance of Bruce donning that brown jacket. 

6sRitiS.jpg

Playing dead isn't always fun and games.

uZF1oo0.jpg

I'm not quite sure what the makeup was for, as Bruce conveyed his character's personality and looks in a natural way.

TbFp2Z1.jpg

Cheng tries to hold it together as his brief livelihood literally falls apart before his eyes.

VIqVUwg.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

I'm not quite sure what the makeup was for, as Bruce conveyed his character's personality and looks in a natural way.

They use make-up for many reasons in film, peoples complexion can change under artifical lighting they use on sets/location. They can use it to make big or sublte changes, to an actors appearance.

Edited by DragonClaws

b8a9a3b67825e0bc82882aa45577d5c5.jpg

Another still from The Orphan.

6cf8e559446c6db63a08f6ca80abb7a8.jpg

Family ocasion in Hong Kong?.

3f687ac4a9379739f2a4e0ecdf81e1b7.jpg

Arriving at his home, at 41 Cumberland road.

4644ce0921ae9d212c0e0423cb909277--bruce-

A high kick for the Hong Kong press, at Kai Tak airport.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
12 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Strawman argument

68c5504e1c3729682c9540f6397c225d.jpg

Bruce's European side really shows when he has a beard. Wonder what kind of character he would've played with that look?

39 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

b8a9a3b67825e0bc82882aa45577d5c5.jpg

Another still from The Orphan.

It's a bit freaky how young Bruce always seems to sport a small knife in all publicity shots concerning that movie.

17 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

This is one I've never seen before.

Thats cool, I'm also sorry to hear about your recent loss with the robbery.

17 hours ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

It's a bit freaky how young Bruce always seems to sport a small knife in all publicity shots concerning that movie.

It's a long time since I read about this movie, but I think he is playing a sort of Chinese Rebel Without A Cause type character?.

James Dean pictured below, was one of Lee's teenage heroes.

still-from-Rebel-Without-a-Cause.jpg

Rebel Without A Cause.

3d58af2b8cac6687a5ff9453cf435eda.jpg

Bruce Lee with friends, at the Yamato restuarant 1972.

554d6813165135be02178e2b20bc18bd.jpg

Another shot from the same day, Ricky Chik and Nora Miao are only people that I can I.D here.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

50d824feb952e96d52ebe2e4aaaba50c--brando

Potrait shot, from the H.K years.

6615c40add121e125479d2e17c3ae735.jpg

Lee looks really young here, was this taken during his early years in the U.S? or during a trip back home?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Taking pictures, on the set of Han's trophy room.

2002ccc1a924474ed901b3016580fcb5--bruce-

Demonstrating a kick, at Golden Harvest studios.

1cd21aac773ba9c72c6b693e051b3042.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

sifu iron perm

shit!! i really need to make a trip to HK and visit the Bruce Lee Museum.

Edited by sifu iron perm

21 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

shit!! i really need to make a trip to HK and visit the Bruce Lee Museum.

Something I wanted to do in the late90's, when Jon Benn had a hand in the museum, not sure if he owned it at one time?. Or I could be mixing that up with his short lived BL themed restaurant?.

A trip to H.K would be really cool though.

• Like 1

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

Family picnic.

UDHv1Zz.jpg

I very much prefer this custom poster over the orirginal orangy theatrical one.

F4MGgZs.jpg

Not sure who the bloke in the middle is, but the convo sure must be engaging!

QfoV2Vw.jpg

Cheng, still a mild goat, gets used to the surroundings in the land of smiles.

gKl7hwE.jpg

Most men would hardly contain themselves when it comes to savoring their investment, yet Cheng is still very much on a downer mood. Wonder what's going on inside his head? Would've been interesting to "hear" his thoughts here, much akin to the mourning river scene.

81527620_o.jpg

• Like 3