Bruce Lee photos - 1940 - 1973

I Am Caine

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
44 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

In real life, a 30-year-old male would probably be looked down upon by society if he were in the company of an 18-year-old female. But those are the movies, and Lee, at that time, passed as a guy in his early 20s.

While I still stand by my belief that Cheng is no older than 24 (I doubt he would be as naive and emotionally immature if he were the same age as Bruce at the time of filming), you'd be surprised at how frequent May–December romances were even back in '71. The question is whether Chiao Mei would've put up with Cheng's.....ahem, newfound tastes for Thai women. 

That awkward moment when girl you had a deep crush for catches you coming out of a cathouse. What the heck was she doing there anyway? :itwasntme

nXenmiG.jpg

"What do you think they are going to do, hold hands?"

BoF0AQ2.jpg

Edited by lonesome space
  • Like 2

Phantom Dreamer
20 minutes ago, lonesome space said:

While I still stand by my belief that Cheng is no older than 24 (I doubt he would be as naive and emotionally immature if he were the same age as Bruce at the time of filming), you'd be surprised at how frequent May–December romances were even back in '71. The question is whether Chiao Mei would've put up with Cheng's.....ahem, newfound tastes for Thai women.

I don't know the exact date The Big Boss began filming, but Lee's original Golden Harvest contract called for work to begin on July 12, 1971 and Maria Yi didn't even turn 18 until July 29.

811f6eacc48a621f4e4152e29b95d046--bruce-lee-martial-arts.jpg

• Like 2

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
2 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

I don't know the exact date The Big Boss began filming, but Lee's original Golden Harvest contract called for work to begin on July 12, 1971 and Maria Yi didn't even turn 18 until July 29.

811f6eacc48a621f4e4152e29b95d046--bruce-lee-martial-arts.jpg

The Big Boss production team actually threw in a big birthday party for Maria Yi in July 29th, not too far into the filming. Wu Chia Hsiang was already gone by then, and even Lo Wei was present. I would guess that the flirting scenes between Chiao Mei and Cheng weren't filmed yet, and his "adventures" in the brothel had yet to be written into the story.

mqXbJ27.jpg

myqZ0BQ.jpg

The 5 actors who were missing from the feast were:

1) Li Kun
2) Lam Ching Ying
3) Bee Chan
4) Chan Lung 
5) Li Hua-Sze

Since it’s the TBB HK crew celebration, none of the Thai extras were present. As for Nora, she only arrived few days after Lo Wei summoned her to Thailand to play the ice stall seller.

• Like 3

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

Back to business as usual in Hong Kong, as the last touches in Big Boss were being applied. Featuring Peter Chan. Notice how Bruce Lee's physique was already transitioning to what we would become familiar with in Fist of Fury.

Mx96JOE.jpg

hk8p456.jpg

Am5W09c.jpg

ogcorE4.jpg

iC6GlUm.jpg

UkPL2Im.jpg

qAJKnte.jpg

AYiaqQO.jpg

cRmyJHA.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lonesome space said:

Better to have the tiger turned into a rug than let him follow nature's course and being reduced to compost.

Better for it to turn to compost, and give back to earth than end up stagnenet on someone's wall, the 70's were different times.

40 minutes ago, lonesome space said:

Back to business as usual in Hong Kong, as the last touches in Big Boss were being applied. Featuring Peter Chan.

The top three images feature Lee with fellow actor Tony Liu, the rest are Peter Chan

1 hour ago, lonesome space said:

The Big Boss production team actually threw in a big birthday party for Maria Yi in July 29th, not too far into the filming. Wu Chia Hsiang was already gone by then, and even Lo Wei was present. I would guess that the flirting scenes between Chiao Mei and Cheng weren't filmed yet, and his "adventures" in the brothel had yet to be written into the story.

Didnt LJF post that picture with the numbers and information over at Bruce Lee lives?.

Filming Way Of The Dragon,with Unicorn Chan(left) and Gam Dai(right)

880e4a4e9ccd651bcdfaeda8cc9a0f0c.jpg

With director Robert Clouse.

298d0b34c7ef07f2f13a1866d315f746--enter-

Game Of Death.

90e15942cedd20e1014f8fd90c11a939.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

Better for it to turn to compost, and give back to earth than end up stagnenet on someone's wall, the 70's were different times.

The top three images feature Lee with fellow actor Tony Liu, the rest are Peter Chan

Didnt LJF post that picture with the numbers and information over at Bruce Lee lives?.

Pretty sure Cheng had somewhat the same logic when he decided not to let his seed go to waste, so he went to the bordello to perform his basic biological function, and the audience would have to deal with it. The 70's were different, indeed.

And doh, I should've taken into account the bulkiness of both actors!

And correct, I rescued those pics from the Green Bamboo forum. The LJF bookmark is very much present in the 2nd pic.

• Like 2

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

No one ever said revenge had to be served quickly. A free man is entitled to a little snack before he crosses the gates of no return.

xCppDnJ.jpg

Perhaps the most well-known publicity shot of Big Boss......and also the weirdest one, as the facial hair in Bruce appears to be quite visible. It doesn't match any of his other appearances in the movie, actually.

gl1dJ2i.jpg

Cheng looks forward to showing the Boss how it feels to have one's very life torn apart.

Z4aYleG.jpg

Big Boss is Bruce Lee's most straightforward movie as far as fighting goes. Regardless, Cheng makes it obvious he isn't your typical Street Fighting Man.

SLIPHCq.jpg

Cheng had enough of the brutality going about, whilst his uncle still observes with a goofy yet helpless expression.

hAWJTA7.jpg

Ever the reluctant pacifist, Cheng gives the factory thugs a chance to surrender, least they want their front teeth missing.

sLeyinL.jpg

Another immesely popular publicity shot that, as far as I know, wasn't even present in the original Mandarin cut!

fO3OIPQ.jpg

Cheng waiting patiently to finally make his move towards the magnificent Marilyn Bautista. @DragonClaws

k5w0d2w.jpg

Hsiu Chien isn't going down without taking a few thugs along with him. I wonder if he foresaw this and also indulged in final pleasures before the confrontation? Food for thought.

AIHSAjX.jpg

Hsiao Mi may not be the most imposing villain, but he definitely packed lots of wicked charm. Also, in the original version, it was explicitly said he was the owner of Pak Chong's prostitution ring. He definitely knew his chops, literally and figuratively. 

EbREzD0.jpg

Cheng could've never imagined that attaining Nirvana would've seen so easy. Probably the only good thing that happened to him (twice) in his brief sojourn in Pak Chong.

gAsovFZ.jpg

Miss Wu Man relishes in the body of her knight in shining (birthday suit).

xE0jTcM.jpg

Cheng the farm boy is dead and buried.......there's only Cheng the dragon warrior!

fof50wR.jpg

• Like 4

Phantom Dreamer

Do you think Han Ying Chieh regrets not being cast in Enter the Dragon despite the antagonist being named after him? Was the role offered to him and he turned it down?

2403f283160fe7d6e6d37ef90e27bca2.jpg

• Like 2

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
10 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Do you think Han Ying Chieh regrets not being cast in Enter the Dragon despite the antagonist being named after him? Was the role offered to him and he turned it down?

2403f283160fe7d6e6d37ef90e27bca2.jpg

Just my personal opinion, but Ying Chieh fits more of the "slimy, cheesy and untrustworthy" character than a straightforward villainous one. To be honest, I don't feel any of the villains provided Bruce Lee with a substantial challenge, not even Ying Chieh; Hisao Mi had the benefit of Cheng being whacked out of his mind to land a few devastating blows. Only Chuck Norris in WOD came close to giving Lee a run for his money. Yes, I went there. @Phantom Dreamer

Edited by lonesome space
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lonesome space said:

Cheng had enough of the brutality going about, whilst his uncle still observes with a goofy yet helpless expression.

Love the locals with the umbrella sat down in the background, there out of shot in the movie version of the scene.

Miss Wu Man relishes in the body of her knight in shining (birthday suit).

The fact he remians asleep during the whole thing, means she's taken advantage of him, rather than the other way round.

Another immesely popular publicity shot that, as far as I know, wasn't even present in the original Mandarin cut!

I remember emailing Jason Hart about that image years ago, when I was still in my teens.

f1696c698207937ebc1408aa2daf5663.jpg

1afa2c75bcb87e1a677e76ee42559d86.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
7 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Love the locals with the umbrella sat down in the background, there out of shot in the movie version of the scene.

The fact he remians asleep during the whole thing, means she's taken advantage of him, rather than the other way round.

I remember emailing Jason Hart about that image years ago, when I was still in my teens.

There are plenty of instances of locals looking on by whilst the outdoor scenes of Big Boss rolled on. 

The following shots were apparently from when Cheng was observing the brothel and pondering about whether to remain the chivalrous hero, or finally embrace his path as a warrior who lives life to the fullest in the knowledge that he can die anytime.

OggOJRI.jpg

4bslu2g.jpg

I believe that Lo Wei initially intended on making the Cheng/Malalene bed scene more steamy than what we got, but eventually decided against it as Cheng hadn't given up on being a role model to his community and making things right with Chiao Mei. It seems that below pic was filmed as part of the initial bedroom scene that we didn't get to see. Bruce was using boxer briefs in filming, but in-movie, one can wonder if Cheng voluntarily stripped away his clothing before passing out or if Malalene did it for him.

SR3ZhMk.jpg

Edited by lonesome space
  • Like 4

Phantom Dreamer

Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Bob Wall and some Asian gentleman. Via the Pinterest account of Almen Fung?

Love to credit individuals who use their real name and not an actor's initials. A retirement of sorts was apparently announced elsewhere by a person, who I have referenced here and I appreciate their hard work translating things for fans to enjoy. I just find it ironic the guy is upset people aren't crediting him by acknowledging another person's initials. I guess that's better than "BigDragonFan73". You can't make this up, but that is the world of Bruce Lee for you.

3ba1a75900b8d7ed78f283e28ba76573.jpg

• Like 3

Choreogrpahing part of the Dan Inosanto/James Tien fight in G.O.D

Note the camera man positioned on the stairs behind.

9a340b0bfc7c36d910acc7828ad9d1bc.jpg

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Choreogrpahing part of the Dan Inosanto/James Tien fight in G.O.D

Note the camera man positioned on the stairs behind.

9a340b0bfc7c36d910acc7828ad9d1bc.jpg

Ricky Chik standing behind Lee.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Ricky Chik standing behind Lee.

Yeah thats him, next to/above the camera guy.

Edited by DragonClaws

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
11 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Bob Wall and some Asian gentleman. Via the Pinterest account of Almen Fung?

Love to credit individuals who use their real name and not an actor's initials. A retirement of sorts was apparently announced elsewhere by a person, who I have referenced here and I appreciate their hard work translating things for fans to enjoy. I just find it ironic the guy is upset people aren't crediting him by acknowledging another person's initials. I guess that's better than "BigDragonFan73". You can't make this up, but that is the world of Bruce Lee for you.

3ba1a75900b8d7ed78f283e28ba76573.jpg

I still find it odd that quite a lot of people still get uppity over Bruce Lee picture credits and the like, when they should be concerned exclusively with contributing to history and nothing more.

Enter the Dragon image aside, I honestly could see Cheng Chao-An eventually using bastons and a nunchaku in one or more fights in Big Boss, had the focus been on him from the start as opposed to Hsiu Chien.

xh7hLb5.jpg

Even the mightiest of dragons need a quick rest once in a while.

IgP88rd.jpg

Deadly enemies in-movie, the most charming of friendships in real life.

nNwir04.jpg

The most mystifying of behind the scenes pics so far. You already know the locale, so it's up to you to come up with the caption.

7kA7jGR.jpg

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer

Again, I appreciate the translated articles, but tone down the hissy fit, it's not as if the guy himself wrote them. Plus, the original writers aren't being monetarily compensated. I guess things are being shared on Facebook more so than here, and nothing's been attributed to "BigDragonFan73".

Edited by Phantom Dreamer

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
2 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Again, I appreciate the translated articles, but tone down the hissy fit, it's not as if the guy himself wrote them. Plus, the original writers aren't being monetarily compensated. I guess things are being shared on Facebook more so than here, and nothing's been attributed to "BigDragonFan73".

Personally, I'd pin the blame on the climate of greed and toxicity from the BL estate, which has clearly rubbed off on more than a few folks within the fanbase.

Phantom Dreamer

Bruce Lee had hoped to see his old friend and student Taky Kimura around October 8, 1972 in Hong Kong for Game of Death filming. 45 years ago today!

takyletter.jpg

• Like 5

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

The Third Uncle certainly has lots of tales of hurt and hardship of his own to share. The old guard passes on the torch to the next generation.

ow5SEPV.jpg

Had Hsiao Mi's knife reached for Cheng's neck, the latter's demise would've been a particularly painful and slow one.

lkyuf7c.jpg

Cheng's body might be trained to it's limits, but his mind is still that of a dimwitted teenager. The transformation he goes from beginning to end is a breathtaking one.

7Hu06vi.jpg

Edited by Fist of the Heavenly Sky
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Personally, I'd pin the blame on the climate of greed and toxicity from the BL estate, which has clearly rubbed off on more than a few folks within the fanbase.

You cant really blame the Estate for how fans behave, and that's all we our, wether you have a collection big enough to fill a house, or just own a handful of books.

8 hours ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

The Third Uncle certainly has lots of tales of hurt and hardship of his own to share.

Maybe you should write a Third Uncle origian movie script?.

20 hours ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

find it odd that quite a lot of people still get uppity over Bruce Lee picture credits and the like, when they should be concerned exclusively with contributing to history and nothing more.

I can understand people getting angry when stuff they put online, is re-posted elsewhere without any credit. They wouldn't bother to put the pictures online otherwise.

Which sounds why LJF over at Nick Clark's forum has decided to stop posting information??. People where using his information in books etc without crediting him, and not even bothering to re-write it either. Fans oftn ruin for themselves by doing such things. Or someone said, you should be charging people for that, and making a profit, rather than giving it away for free.

• Like 1

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
44 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

You cant really blame the Estate for how fans behave, and that's all we our, wether you have a collection big enough to fill a house, or just own a handful of books.

Maybe you should write a Third Uncle origian movie script?.

I can understand people getting angry when stuff they put online, is re-posted elsewhere without any credit. They wouldn't bother to put the pictures online otherwise.

Which sounds why LJF over at Nick Clark's forum has decided to stop posting information??. People where using his information in books etc without crediting him, and not even bothering to re-write it either. Fans oftn ruin for themselves by doing such things. Or someone said, you should be charging people for that, and making a profit, rather than giving it away for free.

I don't hold the estate completely responsible, bit they sure as hell haven't done anything to dissuade such greed.

IMO all things related to Bruce Lee aside from the movies is public domain. I also can understand the upset but just don't expect to be rewarded in any way besides gratitude from the fanbase.

And sure, I might take a knack at coming up with a Third Uncle story concept. Any ideas/suggestions for it?

46 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

And sure, I might take a knack at coming up with a Third Uncle story concept. Any ideas/suggestions for it?

Anohter topic for the Big Boss appreciation thread, Ill give it some thought for now.

eff3f83920a8573281b8fe49f14b0812.jpg

579f36b81513732495b4cdd7068bdef3.jpg

8efd301af42a3514ed9e6d8f515a7f9b.jpg

• Like 3