Worst HK Movie Covers!

One Armed Boxer

Secret Executioner

Given that 90%+ of classic Hong Kong action films have no home video releases with proper video and mono audio, the covers are the least of my worries...

If one wants to be nitpicky, yeah, the screwed ratio or bad video quality and lack of original sound track for many titles is also a problem indeed - though a lot of movies have been restored to their original glory through DVD and/or BD treatment.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hanshotfirst1138

If one wants to be nitpicky, yeah, the screwed ratio or bad video quality and lack of original sound track for many titles is also a problem indeed - though a lot of movies have been restored to their original glory through DVD and/or BD treatment.

That's a pretty small ratio when you consider how many HK films and classics have been butchered or saddled with crappy downmixes. Where're the definitive releases of Police Story 1-4, Hard Boiled, The Killer, Iron Monkey, A Chinese Ghost Story 1-3, Warriors Two, Once Upon A Time in China, Fong Sai Yuk I-II, Drunken Master II, Fist of Legend, and countless others, many times even on regular DVD, much less HD:

legacy.jpg

They must have spent some time creating that masterpiece.

I know this thread is about DVD covers but just had to share this old VHS cover for the Jackie Chan film Spiritual Kung Fu.

latest?cb=20130819201836

Secret Executioner

I know this thread is about DVD covers but just had to share this old VHS cover for the Jackie Chan film Spiritual Kung Fu.

latest?cb=20130819201836

Man that one's hilarious. :rofl 

German distributors also have a talent for putting stuff on their cover which doesn't have to do sh** with the movie itself :laugh

Just one example this DVD Cover for Hero - 1997 (Corey Yuen)

242049_f.jpg

German distributors also have a talent for putting stuff on their cover which doesn't have to do sh** with the movie itself :laugh

Just one example this DVD Cover for Hero - 1997 (Corey Yuen)

242049_f.jpg

lmao that is one bad cover, no bad is too good a word for it really.

I think they have used this image from one of the Sin City promotional posters.

de7f9e7174ab20d6d94812f015887937.jpg

lmao that is one bad cover, no bad is too good a word for it really.

I think they have used this image from one of the Sin City promotional posters.

de7f9e7174ab20d6d94812f015887937.jpg

At least they put some Matrix style sunglasses on the guy :yociexp115:

At least they put some Matrix style sunglasses on the guy :yociexp115:

Lol I thought he may have had his eyes removed?. Maybe it should have been re-titled The Blind Gunman?.

What film is actually on that disc laagi?

The Blind Gunman lol now that's a title I'd pay money for. It's Hero, starring Kaneshiro, Biao, Wah etc. AND the disc itself is surprisingly good!

Secret Executioner

Lol I thought he may have had his eyes removed?. Maybe it should have been re-titled The Blind Gunman?.

What film is actually on that disc laagi?

I don't know why, but The blind Gunman would be a nice title for a western - probably because some westerns DO have blind heroes who shoot a lot of people.  :tongue: 

The Blind Gunman lol now that's a title I'd pay money for. It's Hero, starring Kaneshiro, Biao, Wah etc. AND the disc itself is surprisingly good!

I don't know why, but The blind Gunman would be a nice title for a western - probably because some westerns DO have blind heroes who shoot a lot of people.  :tongue: 

You would expect a really poor quality release with a DVD cover like that one. I best start work on the Blind Gunman screenplay then lol, see if Franco Nero wants to play the lead maybe?.

Jackie Chan Presents: Amnesia, which is actually Who Am I 2015. The only thing I don't like is seeing Zoe Zhang with the sword, I mean I saw the film and don't remember seeing her with a sword.

MV5BMjE1NzAwMjIwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjQ5

Original poster for Who Am I 2015

MV5BN2I3MTFhMzQtMGYyYS00NGRmLWI5ZDItNmY2

@AlbertV I mean what did you actually think of the movie though? I found it pretty terrible and unnecessary.  

I do love that white cover though, reason why I thought it looked good.

15 minutes ago, Koravec said:

@AlbertV I mean what did you actually think of the movie though? I found it pretty terrible and unnecessary.  

I do love that white cover though, reason why I thought it looked good.

Ehhh...it wasn't great. Had some decent moments but overall, meh! Didn't have enough action IMO.

Archived