Worst HK Movie Covers!

One Armed Boxer

Noelle Shadow Kick

You know, the misleading covers is actually why I first joined the forum! Early on in my martial arts movie watching, I learned rather quickly how hard it was to find quality films so I joined in the hopes of finding help.

I feel like there's no genre with more false advertising haha

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, the misleading covers is actually why I first joined the forum! Early on in my martial arts movie watching, I learned rather quickly how hard it was to find quality films so I joined in the hopes of finding help.

I feel like there's no genre with more false advertising haha

You are right Noelle Shadow Kick, I don't think there is any other genre that gets so many trashy misleading releases. I wish I had this site to guide me when I was a young teenager. It would have saved me from buying a lot of bad stuff.

One Armed Boxer

I recently put together this article, I think partly to appease my anger towards the horrendous DVD covers HK movies are often given, and partly just because it would be cool to collect these atrocities all in the one place.  So for those of you who ever thought 'New Fist of Fury' was an Asian sequel to Rambo, or perhaps thought 'PTU' was a followup to 'Hard Boiled', I hope you get a kick out of it.  Feel free to weigh in with your own choices, and check it out at the link below - 

http://www.cityonfire.com/top-10-worst-hong-kong-movie-dvd-covers/

Funny article, sadly I don't think we have seen the end of the badly photo shopped Asian film DVD covers.

I picked up a copy of Master With Cracked Fingers that had a picture from Wheel On Meals on the cover. That has to be one of the worst purchases I made in my early days of collecting.

Secret Executioner

Boy lots of awkward stuff in there - and it seems like Jackie Chan often gets the bad cover treatment.  :thinking 

I'll add Kung Fu Jungle's UK artwork. Awful, just awful.

91BiIbVTHML._SL1500_.jpg

Yeah its shocking and I didn't like the re-titling of the film. Sounds more like an old seventies Martial Arts film. I don't recall any exploding sky scrapers or a chopper but they seem to love using such images on these dodgy covers.

Another use of Donnie Yen's body but with Ernie Reyes Jr. head and a tattoo on it (comparing with Jet Li's head for Meltdown)

51%2BWEsUtikL.jpg51CDXBZ9B7L.jpg

Jackie's The Accidental Spy

51A6B84MKSL.jpg

Loved how they use Drunken Master II photos for Master with Cracked Fingers

518E2XA77RL.jpg51SWh%2BeTW1L.jpg

Jet Li's Contract Killer (aka Hitman)

51WT4AYWMTL.jpg

Simitar DVD's Dragon Fist, which obviously has a photo of Chan from New Fist of Fury

5107V6FWP5L.jpg

One Armed Boxer

Loved how they use Drunken Master II photos for Master with Cracked Fingers

518E2XA77RL.jpg51SWh%2BeTW1L.jpg

Good one....'Master with Cracked Fingers' is possibly the only Jackie movie to never have had a DVD release which features an actual image from the movie.  In the UK we got stuck with an image from 'Wheels on Meals' -

514PDTB1DJL.jpg

Good one....'Master with Cracked Fingers' is possibly the only Jackie movie to never have had a DVD release which featurs an actual image from the movie.

51A0nLyjETL.jpg

:cool

Good one....'Master with Cracked Fingers' is possibly the only Jackie movie to never have had a DVD release which features an actual image from the movie.  In the UK we got stuck with an image from 'Wheels on Meals' -

514PDTB1DJL.jpg

That's the cover I was talking about in my first post. I've not even watched Wheels On Meals when I got the DVD. There was another bootleg release that came out recently that had a picture of Chan from Snake In The Eagles Shadow on the cover.

There's another cover for The Avenging Eagle Dragon Dynasty DVD that actually has Fu Sheng on it. This one actually looks pretty awesome:

796019823630;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidt

Also, this cover for Fearless Hyena Part 2 is unbelievable to say that least. Possible THE WORST cover I've ever seen:

51QS0NAZE7L.jpg

There's another cover for The Avenging Eagle Dragon Dynasty DVD that actually has Fu Sheng on it. This one actually looks pretty awesome:

796019823630;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidt

Also, this cover for Fearless Hyena Part 2 is unbelievable to say that least. Possible THE WORST cover I've ever seen:

51QS0NAZE7L.jpg

Ken I think that is the worst Jackie Chan DVD cover Ive seen too.

Here's another bad cover featuring a description on the back that does not match any JC film I'm aware of. The ever popular JC black T-shirt image turns up again too. It might be one of the cut and paste jobs that Lo Wei did when Chan left his company for Golden Harvest?.

Fire_Dragon_Thinpack-cdcovers_cc-fr.jpg

Ken I think that is the worst Jackie Chan DVD cover Ive seen too.

Here's another bad cover featuring a description on the back that does not match any JC film I'm aware of. The ever popular JC black T-shirt image turns up again too. It might be one of the cut and paste jobs that Lo Wei did when Chan left his company for Golden Harvest?.

Fire_Dragon_Thinpack-cdcovers_cc-fr.jpg

That freakin' black shirt! Yeah, that is a crappy cover. Fire Dragon is supposed to be a combination of footage from Fantasy Mission Force and new footage directed by Chester Wong to form a whole different movie.

That freakin' black shirt! Yeah, that is a crappy cover. Fire Dragon is supposed to be a combination of footage from Fantasy Mission Force and new footage directed by Chester Wong to form a whole different movie.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I didn't know about the alternative version of FMF Ken. When Chan left Lo Wei's film company, the director edited together scenes from his older films and then released them under the guise of a new film. Thought Fire Dragon may have been one of those.

One Armed Boxer

The upcoming release of 'Zombie Fight Club' by Shout! Factory definitely deserves a mention! - 

91FMSEIEHrL._SL1500_.png

& while neither are technically Hong Kong movies, I also feel that the re-issue of the Stunt People movie 'Contour' under the title of 'The Agent' was also given a horrendous cover - 

11177616_ori.jpg

Master with Cracked Fingers with Jackie's disproportioned head photoshopped on someone else and the Arnold Boecklin type is atrocious and Fearless Hyena II looks like it was made as a joke 'art damage' piece complete with the default gradient in the lettering.
The cover of the US release of Chow Ken, a Republican era Jimmy Wang Yu film made in Taiwan in 1972 is another masterpiece. Although the Everlast company existed at the time, I somehow can't believe the cover picture is from 1920. Another nice touch is the fake Star Wars font in the bottom corner.

bvfREib.jpg

Someone posted this on Facebook. Apparently there is a South African DVD of Fighting Spirit that puts Loren Avedon's head on Gary Daniels' body from the promo photo for American Street Fighter. I died when I first saw this!

index.jpg

The upcoming release of 'Zombie Fight Club' by Shout! Factory definitely deserves a mention! - 

91FMSEIEHrL._SL1500_.png

I actually like this, would be better without "you only die twice"...

• Administrator

91FMSEIEHrL._SL1500_.png

I'm not thrilled with this cover either, especially as I was hired to paint a new original piece for the cover. Which I did, and... that ain't it!

I've got to come to Shout Factory's defense though, they really did want to do something cool and representative of the film, came up with what I thought was a great concept, and as usual it was wonderful working with them. I delivered a finished painting to them (based on their idea) that they were very happy with, but due to circumstances beyond Shout Factory's control, they had to use the above cover instead. I can't get into any more specifics than that, but we were all disappointed with the situation.

Shout Factory told me that they planned to use my art as the 'reversible cover' though, so hopefully that's the case. If my piece is included, well, I hope you guys like it better than the above one. If you do, please (politely) let them know. As I said, it wasn't their call to not use my art.

I wonder if the same thing happened with their release of WYRMWOOD? I thought the cover they used was just okay, and was shocked when I opened it up and saw the stunning art on the 'reversible cover. Seems a waste to hide it away on the inside, as IMHO it blows away the outer cover photo. My son, and a few friends that bought it were all shocked that they had done that too. 

& while neither are technically Hong Kong movies, I also feel that the re-issue of the Stunt People movie 'Contour' under the title of 'The Agent' was also given a horrendous cover - 

11177616_ori.jpg

Oh my freaking god, this cover kills me! It's so terrible. Contour is a great movie, but I'm not a fan of this cover/title. Also, I think this version is cut by about 20 minutes.

Also, I don't think that Zombie Fight Club cover is too terrible. I'm never seen that movie so I don't know how unfitting the cover is. But still, not terrible. Not as bad as The Agent.

Secret Executioner

Good one....'Master with Cracked Fingers' is possibly the only Jackie movie to never have had a DVD release which features an actual image from the movie.  In the UK we got stuck with an image from 'Wheels on Meals' -

514PDTB1DJL.jpg

Hey, I have that DVD. :bigsmile: 

hanshotfirst1138

Given that 90%+ of classic Hong Kong action films have no home video releases with proper video and mono audio, the covers are the least of my worries...

Archived