Worst HK Movie Covers!

One Armed Boxer

I second whoever said P.T.U: Police Tactical Unit. I bought the DVD based on the artwork and synopsis on the back. As it turns out, it's nothing like it describes and bored the tits off me. Fuck you, Dragon Dynasty.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway
Doesn't that look like Dragon Lee on the poster?!

It does.

I think PTU is a subtle masterpiece, but yeah that DD cover is beyond misleading!

First time I saw PTU I didn't like it, wasn't what I expected. I watched it again a while later, something I don't usually do, and sort of 'got it'. I'm not a Johnnie To fan, but if you like his oeuvre you should appreciate this. Compared to Running on Karma and Fulltime Killer it is a masterpiece.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, I like Fulltime Killer also, but not a To fanboy either. Though I do like his crime flicks, or most of them at least.

Hey Asmo, if memory serves me correctly, this scene is actually from the movie 'Hero', Kaneshiro has a scene towards the end with the dynamite if this is the same cover, but I can understand the similarity -

mtd2104.jpg

armour+of+god.jpg

Found it:

T1h1OxXgpaXXXBc6_b_124607.jpg_310x310.jpg

Not the biggest size though.

Invincible is a really different type of action movie, especially for a HK action movie. That before/after pic on the VCD is pretty funny. Odd that you are starting this thread after seeing Invincible. I thought for sure the Thunderkick movies would have been the inspiration.

Anyways… Here's the Saturn DVD cover for New Fist of Fury-

512E4GPK6ML.jpg

Yeah this sleeve used to piss me off a lot as it is utter " don't give a rat's ass " attitude about the fans buying the product.What does it matter if everyone likes Stallone anyway.http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/967da3ce

Here is the most misleading to date http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://thepeoplesmovies.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/founding-of-a-republic_2d-packshotjpg.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thepeoplesmovies.com/2011/07/competition-the-founding-of-a-republic-jackie-chan-jet-li-donnie-yen-coming-to-uk-on-dvd-win-a-copy/&h=1600&w=1127&sz=261&tbnid=D6LYKyQBn25t5M:&tbnh=104&tbnw=73&zoom=1&usg=__Yu9AQboTcubAbf4JcOm1hVDpGq8=&docid=oOEllBVg1J9FiM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4DVQUeTlEo3APMqdgMgD&ved=0CEUQ9QEwBA&dur=424 though there are still many terrible official dvd/vhs artworks for other martial art flicks

.............and what business does this sleeve http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2884935168/tt0165733 have to do with the movie " Duel Of The Masters " is anyone's guess.

Some of the old Beverly-Wiltshire dvds were trippy.

515GNB8HKBL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Also, dragons make anything cooler even if they're not in the movie. Or Well Go USA plays too much D&D.

battlewizardkn6.jpg

But this old Saturn one takes the cake.

026617850692.jpg

Some of the old Beverly-Wiltshire dvds were trippy.

515GNB8HKBL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Argh I had forgotten that release but you brought unpleasant memories back. Terrible quality, only dub. Perhaps full screen only that I cannot remember anymore. Movie is so great tho upgrading to ivl was necessary.

That cover quite weird but yes, to kill with intrigue is "winner".

It was full screen only. Plus it was black as night in some places. I'm pretty sure most people want to forget the early days of dvd.

Invincible is a really different type of action movie, especially for a HK action movie. That before/after pic on the VCD is pretty funny. Odd that you are starting this thread after seeing Invincible. I thought for sure the Thunderkick movies would have been the inspiration.

Anyways… Here's the Saturn DVD cover for New Fist of Fury-

512E4GPK6ML.jpg

Actually that kind of makes me want to see the movie, looks pretty damn fun!

Yeah, the artwork depicts a better film than it actually is.

Yeah, I just love that someone bothered to draw a Jackie Chan First Blood cover, would make a great bizarro t shirt. lol

Apologies if there is already a thread for this on the forums. Ive found over the years that companies releasing Kung Flicks often have no regard or respect for the genre. This leads to film been released on DVD/VHS with misleading information on the covers. Listing the wrong actors on the cover, or having the wrong images on the cover.

One that springs to mind for me was a re-titled VHS release of Fantasy Mission Force. They had re-titled it Fire Dragon and the plot description they gave didn't match FMF or any other Chan film for that matter. It also stated the film was in widescreen, more like pan & scan. This happened to me in the pre-internet days, when I had know one to guide me away from misleading releases.

Anyone else here care to share their experiences?

Any cover for "Rumble in Hong Kong" that has Jackie all over it and sells the film as a prequel to "Rumble in the Bronx."

And while this cover isn't really saying much, it is an absolute travesty...

Ke3J1PT.jpg

Any cover for "Rumble in Hong Kong" that has Jackie all over it and sells the film as a prequel to "Rumble in the Bronx."

And while this cover isn't really saying much, it is an absolute travesty...

Ke3J1PT.jpg

There were plenty of copies of Rumble In Hong Kong filling video shop shelves back in the 90's. The covers tagline went something like this "Befor the Bronx, there was rumble in Hong Kong". The back cover featured unrelated shots of Jackie Chan doing Kung Fu poses in a room. Judging by the pictures Id say they were taken around the time of Young Master, long after Police Women. I remember seeing the film in shops as teenager and nearly buying it:squigglemouth:.

Jet Li looks like he could enter the Mr Universe competition in the Meltdown cover image lol.

As if the Operation Condor cover was bad enough...

5938cf2b9fa7abb6c0c0a4a6503466c1f.jpg

Man, can you say desperate? For those of you who are unfamiliar with this movie, King of Comedy stars Stephen Chow and Jackie Chan has a 30 second cameo.

Those two Jackie Chan covers are priceless:xd:. The woman to the left of Chan on the King Of Comedy cover looks a bit like Shu Qi. This title appeared in discount stores in the U.K around the time of The Karate Kid Re-make.

Link- http://www.kaleidoscopehomeentertainment.com/images/thumbnails/377JKKFK_DVD_Front.jpg

I'm not sure how much screen time Chan actually has in The Kung Fu Kid?

Secret Executioner

picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=5742

Ninjas and all (ain't that Carter Wong on the cover ? Looks like he won 3 martial arts championships - huh, what ?!), in a movie dealing with revenge and a love triangle and choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping ?!

Nope, just a very bad Bruceploitation flick (that I reviewed BTW) with Bruce Lee stills popping up randomly during fights and footage of his funeral shown after a character is killed... :tinysmile_angry2_t:

picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=7413

picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=7261

Kickboxing movies ? Nope, a pair of Godfrey Ho cut-and-splice Ninja movies - Ninja Champion and Golden Ninja Warrior to be precise.

Speaking of Ninja Champion, here are some more French VHS releases for this movie:

picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=6096

picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=6176

picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=6177

In spite of the bullshit credits, this looks like Ninja The Final Duel...

picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=5956

...but it's really a Godfrey Ho movie called Secret Executioners starring Hwang Jang Lee.

One Armed Boxer

(ain't that Carter Wong on the cover? Looks like he won 3 martial arts championships - huh, what ?!)

Dude, tell me you did not just mix up Carter Wong with Korean super kicker Casanova Wong!?

The photo of him on the cover is actually from the Sammo Hung movie 'Warriors Two', which if you've never seen by the way, you should check out asap!

YoCLXRKxUCo

37364107_700x700min_1.jpg

Secret Executioner

I wasn't sure. But still, this guy has NOTHING to do with the actual film. (and I'll be sure to get the film and check it out ASAP)

Ninjas and all (ain't that Carter Wong on the cover ? Looks like he won 3 martial arts championships - huh, what ?!), in a movie dealing with revenge and a love triangle and choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping ?!

Nope, just a very bad Bruceploitation flick (that I reviewed BTW) with Bruce Lee stills popping up randomly during fights and footage of his funeral shown after a character is killed... :tinysmile_angry2_t:

picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=7413

picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=7261

Kickboxing movies ? Nope, a pair of Godfrey Ho cut-and-splice Ninja movies - Ninja Champion and Golden Ninja Warrior to be precise.

Speaking of Ninja Champion, here are some more French VHS releases for this movie:

picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=6096

picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=6176

picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=6177

In spite of the bullshit credits, this looks like Ninja The Final Duel...

picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=5956

...but it's really a Godfrey Ho movie called Secret Executioners starring Hwang Jang Lee.

You can always rely on the Godfrey Ho films to have very bad and misleading covers. Looking at some second hand films the other day and came across another misleading Jackie Chan DVD. The film was was Master With Cracked Fingers under its U.S title Snake Fist Fighter. The back cover was adorned with pictures from Snake In The Eagles Shadow:squigglemouth:. The copy of the film I have features a picture of Chan from Wheels On Meals.

Secret Executioner

Speaking of Jackie and misleading artwork... Anybody bumped into some recent movie (Looking For Jackie I think it's called) about a teenager learning kung fu who travels to China to learn kung fu with Jackie ? Well, you have more Jackie Chan on the cover than in the movie cause he merely has a cameo, yet gets top billing on the DVD cover... :squigglemouth:

Speaking of Jackie and misleading artwork... Anybody bumped into some recent movie (Looking For Jackie I think it's called) about a teenager learning kung fu who travels to China to learn kung fu with Jackie ? Well, you have more Jackie Chan on the cover than in the movie cause he merely has a cameo, yet gets top billing on the DVD cover... :squigglemouth:

I think that's an alternative title for Jackie Chan & The Kung Fu Kid, which I mentioned earlier in the thread. I posted a link to the cover and asked if anyone knew how much screen time Chan had in the film.

Archived