Worst HK Movie Covers!

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I thought I'd start this thread after recently watching the Blacky Ko directed 'Invincible'. A bizarre movie which actually spends the majority of it's running time focusing on the main character, played by a wimpy Wong Kit, & Ko being trained with the French Foreign Legion, and avoiding getting raped and pissed on by Billy Blanks while they're at it. Yes you read that right.

However what really set the movie apart for me, was probably the worst poster art for a movie I've ever seen....I actually can't believe anybody would go to see this movie based on looking at this poster, even if it is from '92, it's just terrible!

It got me thinking....what are other members choices of the worst movies covers or poster art you've ever seen?

l_p1022828871.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Invincible is a really different type of action movie, especially for a HK action movie. That before/after pic on the VCD is pretty funny. Odd that you are starting this thread after seeing Invincible. I thought for sure the Thunderkick movies would have been the inspiration.

Anyways… Here's the Saturn DVD cover for New Fist of Fury-

512E4GPK6ML.jpg

One Armed Boxer

Ha ha....that's great!

I think the thread should also be streched to include the bizarre and the just plain misleading...so to that end comes 'Bruce Lee Fights Back From the Grave', which squarly falls into both categories, and the Dragon Dynasty cover of 'PTU', which is quite possibly the most mis-leading cover ever created to market a HK movie!

Bruce_lee_fights_back_from_the_grave_poster.jpg

2279955859_7e456b882d_z.jpg?zz=1

I gotta say that Bruce Lee Fights Back From the Grave poster is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I'd be glad to hang that on my wall next to my Sonny Chiba and Etsuko Shihomi posters.

sifu iron perm
I gotta say that Bruce Lee Fights Back From the Grave poster is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I'd be glad to hang that on my wall next to my Sonny Chiba and Etsuko Shihomi posters.

i agree, i went out and bought the video from the artwork alone..lol @ the bat-dude..was he meant to be the angel of death?

* also the rank editions of the Bruce lee collection were trash..too plain! with the cut out paste of bruce lee's head on the spine.

I tend to overlook this one way too often but it is a horrible cover...

30hvd3d.jpg

And here's a collage of pretty dismal and/or misleading covers...

2ms0c2v.jpg

i agree, i went out and bought the video from the artwork alone..lol @ the bat-dude..was he meant to be the angel of death?

It's ripped off the 70's Meatloaf album cover! Though I have to say it is pretty cool:xd:

Beyond the original posters I find 95% of the vhs-dvd covers to be pretty sorry, especially in the photoshop era where there's no excuse.

Guest Markgway

Jackie and his infamous black t-shirt.

Jet Li's head pasted onto Donnie Yen's body.

Sexy girls who aren't in Infernal Affairs.

And of course everybody knows Andy Lau was the best thing about Dragons Forever...

One Armed Boxer

Right up there with the release of 'Infernal Affairs' that was posted, has to be the UK DVD release of 'Infernal Affairs 2', which features Shawn Yue's head cut and pasted onto a minor characters body with no neck, who just so happens to pull out 2 guns at one point in the movie....apparently good enough to have his torso featured on the cover....extra points go to Edison Chen for feeling him up from behind while he shoots.

SQTauIGM.jpeg

Dimension's THE ACCIDENTAL SPY is a sort of 'spot how many things aren't in the movie' challenge. Fighter jets, random "shh" girl, Jackie's pocket protector...

Invincible is a really different type of action movie, especially for a HK action movie. That before/after pic on the VCD is pretty funny. Odd that you are starting this thread after seeing Invincible. I thought for sure the Thunderkick movies would have been the inspiration.

Anyways… Here's the Saturn DVD cover for New Fist of Fury-

512E4GPK6ML.jpg

Respect mate :bigsmile:

One Armed Boxer

Possibly an all-time winner.....'Coweb', as represented in the US DVD release -:tongue:

03139816895980_z_ninjdcfu.jpg

I may be able to beat that (if I could find an image of the cover).

There was a Chinese release for Hero (the Takeshi Kaneshiro remake of Boxer from Shantung) and the cover prominently featured Takeshi's head photoshopped on to Jackie Chan's body (from the scene in Armour of God with the dynamite).

One Armed Boxer
There was a Chinese release for Hero (the Takeshi Kaneshiro remake of Boxer from Shantung) and the cover prominently featured Takeshi's head photoshopped on to Jackie Chan's body (from the scene in Armour of God with the dynamite).

Hey Asmo, if memory serves me correctly, this scene is actually from the movie 'Hero', Kaneshiro has a scene towards the end with the dynamite if this is the same cover, but I can understand the similarity -

mtd2104.jpg

armour+of+god.jpg

Ha ha....that's great!

I think the thread should also be streched to include the bizarre and the just plain misleading...so to that end comes 'Bruce Lee Fights Back From the Grave', which squarly falls into both categories, and the Dragon Dynasty cover of 'PTU', which is quite possibly the most mis-leading cover ever created to market a HK movie!

Lol I love that poster, I have it hanging in my house

Hey Asmo, if memory serves me correctly, this scene is actually from the movie 'Hero', Kaneshiro has a scene towards the end with the dynamite if this is the same cover, but I can understand the similarity -

mtd2104.jpg

armour+of+god.jpg

Very true. This Chinese cover literally had Jackie's body on it though. It definitely wasn't the same shot as the UK one.

this was a uk sleeve for 4 infernos to cross

OMFG:cry::sad::tinysmile_angry2_t:!

Can only imagine how many ignored movie by that idiotic cover. Flick is masterpiece, in my top ten outside Shaw studios.

Ha ha....that's great!

I think the thread should also be streched to include the bizarre and the just plain misleading...so to that end comes 'Bruce Lee Fights Back From the Grave', which squarly falls into both categories..

Doesn't that look like Dragon Lee on the poster?!

:nerd:

Sexy girls who aren't in Infernal Affairs. ...

Funny thing is, she IS in the film, not a major role... she's the woman with a kid, from Tony Leung's past, who he runs into on a street...

They totally forgot her character in the sequels!!!

:crossedlips:

Archived