Will we ever get a good R1 No Retreat, No Surrender DVD?

punt44

I mean, I really do not know why this movie(s) have not be released yet. I mean we're getting Crippled Masters 2-3, and Shaw brothers mainstream releases in Wal Mart, but we can't get these films on DVD? Surely there is a market. I know their are British Releases, but I really want a remastered R1 disc. :(

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it have to be region 1? Region free dvd players are best for HK movie fans. :D

What I want is a release of No Retreat No Surrender that isn't the longer version with the alternate music score.

I don't know which version is which. But I think the one I like is the UK edit.

It was on VHS here. But they released the USA version on dvd. :squigglemouth:

Jeru the Damaja

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want special editions of all of these remastered, uncut, extras etc., and on region 1 dvd's.

No Retreat No Surrender 1-3

King of the Kickboxers

American Shaolin

Does it have to be region 1? Region free dvd players are best for HK movie fans. :D

What I want is a release of No Retreat No Surrender that isn't the longer version with the alternate music score.

I don't know which version is which. But I think the one I like is the UK edit.

It was on VHS here. But they released the USA version on dvd. :squigglemouth:

HOLY SH*T

I'm not alone.

The uncut version is nonsense compared to the original that was out on VHS in the 80's. The soundtrack in that one used to make me want to annihalate my entire street:bigsmile:

Let me know if you get a hold of it dude.

Still tho,

These look like nice releases, but why do I have to buy an Australian version?! I mean isn't crazy how I can get a picture-perfect release of Shaolin Mantis, but I can't get a letterbox R1 DVD for NRNS?

Does anyone know who owns the rights?

The NRNS that's on the Oz box set is indeed the full version.

There was a thread on here a year or so ago, and someone said that the US version has never made it to DVD.

The UK DVDs of the other films are very good though and well worth getting if your player can play them.

Jeru the Damaja

I did not care for the international version of No Retreat No Surrender with the extended scenes. It seemed like they didn't add anything to the movie. Most of them were very corny, and shall I say homoerotic. Oh yeah and the US soundtrack is far superior.

Oh well it still would be nice to get all of the seasonal films on region 1 dvd with the extended scenes as extras. Some of the others were cut just for violence and nudity that needs to be reinserted . No Retreat No Surrender 2, and King of the Kickboxers comes to mind.

Check out about 43 seconds in. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is all I can say. I can see why this stayed on the cutting room floor of the US version.

HPLTBtWH4GQ&feature=related

I think if there is anyone out there that could make a region 1 release of these movies happen it would be Discotek Media (Eastern Star). They seem to specialize in releasing asian, euro, anime, cult, and hard to find films that need a release. I know they finally brought the classic anime series Fist of the North Star to the states for the first time. As well as the classic kung fu flick The Storm Riders. We should email them and ask them about it.

Reel Power Stunts

Sorry if this just adds to the confusion (rather than answering the question), but I remember someone who should know saying there were rights disputes in the US regarding NRNS. Something like a company in the States had a claim to the US rights, so Seasonal were unable to resell the film to that territory, but were able to sell to UK, Oz etc.

"Check out about 43 seconds in. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is all I can say. I can see why this stayed on the cutting room floor of the US version."

Ha ha, thats the most hilarious thing i have seen in ages!!!!:tongue:

There was amazingly, a soundtrack cd released see here NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER

and you can even buy a keyring set..lol....NRNS KEYRING

Holy crap, that scene was super gay! :xd: I forgot about that. Was Corey Yuen going through a confused period or something?

And Jeru the Damaja, why the obsession with getting a Region 1 version? Are you perhaps

confusing "Region 1" with "NTSC"? I'm sure you mean, you want an "NTSC" version, right?

Why lock yourself to one region?

And for those who like the shorter UK edit, I can always edit this longer version into the shorter version and dub the UK audio onto it. But the scene in the where they go site seeing in Seattle will be missing. Unless I use the VHS for that scene.

Reel Power Stunts
Holy crap, that scene was super gay! :xd: I forgot about that. Was Corey Yuen going through a confused period or something?

I doubt it...unless Yuen Woo-ping went through a similar "phase" 7 years earlier:

DDlLCvzJs3w

Check out 1:20.

Perhaps it's a Seasonal, Ng See-yuen thing.

I forgot about this scene! For some reason it looks acceptable when the old man does it.

But the kid in No Retreat' is sucking a lolly, smiling his ass off and looks like he's enjoying it. 'lol

Jeru the Damaja

And Jeru the Damaja, why the obsession with getting a Region 1 version? Are you perhaps

confusing "Region 1" with "NTSC"? I'm sure you mean, you want an "NTSC" version, right?

Why lock yourself to one region?

And for those who like the shorter UK edit, I can always edit this longer version into the shorter version and dub the UK audio onto it. But the scene in the where they go site seeing in Seattle will be missing. Unless I use the VHS for that scene.

I'm not obsessed at all. I just don't own a region free dvd player, and reside in the states. I am thinking about picking a region free dvd player up, but at the present time my dvd player format is region 1 US and Canada.:wink:

Jeru the Damaja
I doubt it...unless Yuen Woo-ping went through a similar "phase" 7 years earlier:

DDlLCvzJs3w

Check out 1:20.

Perhaps it's a Seasonal, Ng See-yuen thing.

The old man doesn't look near as gay. He is smoking a pipe, and has his legs crossed like he is reading the Sunday paper. Hell, he even scolded Jackie with the pipe. This as opposed to sucking a chocolate ice cream bar, bopping around with a walkman on, and wearing the tiniest blue shorts I've ever seen.

I'm not obsessed at all. I just don't own a region free dvd player, and reside in the states. I am thinking about picking a region free dvd player up, but at the present time my dvd player format is region 1 US and Canada.:wink:

Yikes! A slave to the Region of 1. :sad: That must be tough. I feel for ya.

Definitely a region free player is the way to go, if you're gonna collect HK movies.

You might even be able to make your player region free with a remote control hack. google your player model and see if its possible. Ya never know.

Jeru the Damaja

Well it's been a year. I thought I would resurrect this thread to see if there was any word on if No Retreat No Surrender 1-3, King of the Kickboxers, and American Shaolin are ever getting an official dvd release in the states? I'd love to see a company like Dragon Dynasty get a hold of these. I own bootleg copies of all these, but I really want an official release. I love them even though they are cheesy. Maybe one day I will finally purchase a region free dvd player, and grab the UK editions.

TibetanWhiteCrane

99% of dvd players are region free, im sure yours is too, just gotta know the code.....

Go to dvdhack.com or somewhere and type in your model, then get the code, follow the instructions and presto.....

OpiumKungFuCracker

Yeah that was extremely gay with the headphones on and was it ice ream pop he was sucking on??? The filling had a white cream in the middle and it looked like semen covering his mouth... This is an enjoyable film though and I already got the Australian 4 pack edition so no need for another upgrade...

Archived