Best Bruce Lee documentary?

Jeru the Damaja

Phantom Dreamer
I've heard this film was actually made, was terribly poor, and shelved. I would like to see an effort to disprove this or have the project brought to light. The guy who was cast to play Bruce was a real Martial Artist, his name escapes me at the moment, however, here's an image of him from Fighting Stars Magazine in 1975, after he won the role:

$%28KGrHqR,!lQFCy5BELKrBQ+21BEZZ!~~60_57.JPG

Alex Kwok of Vancouver?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New review for Bruce Lee: The Legend (1983).

http://www.cityonfire.com/bruce-lee-the-legend-1983-review/

Reviewer brings up some interesting points.

On July 23, 1973, it probably went something like this; prior to filming Bruce Lee: The Man, The Legend (1973)

Raymond Chow: "I'm very sorry about Bruce. He will be missed. Now, if you don't mind, can we just film you at the funeral service? Then after that, we'll go to your house and we'll film you there. We'll have a film crew follow you to Seattle, so we can film you, and where you first met Bruce. We'll have people move stuff out of your house to make it look more dramatic."

Linda Lee: "I'm not sure if this is a good time"

Raymond Chow: "Well, in return, I'll pay all the funeral services"

It's funny. All this funeral footage spread out to like three movies. lol Chow was sure resourceful!

Yes that`s him, his name is Danny Chan he also did that commercial with Bruce`s cgi face.

Shame is martial arts and physique doesn`t look as good as his face.

Yes that`s him, his name is Danny Chan he also did that commercial with Bruce`s cgi face.

Shame is martial arts and physique doesn`t look as good as his face.

Does the Legend of Bruce Lee really suck as bad as people say?

Does the Legend of Bruce Lee really suck as bad as people say?

I tried to get into it, couldn't. It's pretty bad. As soon as I heard some pop music by some chick, I tuned out.

It makes Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story seem like an Oscar winner.

I tried to get into it, couldn't. It's pretty bad. As soon as I heard some pop music by some chick, I tuned out.

It makes Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story seem like an Oscar winner.

Thanks!. I was thinking of grabbing the UK Blu-ray for under £4!, looks like they edited the episodes down to 180 minutes for this edition!

Thanks!. I was thinking of grabbing the UK Blu-ray for under £4!, looks like they edited the episodes down to 180 minutes for this edition!

And that's a good thing. I can't imagine watching it as a "series" (couldn't even get through the movie). It's as accurate as THE DRAGON LIVES, and a lot more silly.

It's a damn shame... because the lead is the closest (visually) to Bruce Lee's image.

I think I will give it a miss, heard far too much negative feedback about it! I should of guessed why the Blu-ray was so cheap! :)

I recently re-watched BRUCE LEE THE MAN THE LEGEND....

I noticed that some of the made-for-documentary martial arts demonstrations were done on the set of Enter the Dragon (where Han has all of his souvenir displayed).

My question is: Was this a set? Or was this an actual place? (like a museum?) And if was a set, I see no time was wasted filming the doc! OR, was this documentary already planned?

It was a set. In Robert Clouse's book on making Enter The Dragon he says how difficult that scene was to film. Strategically it was quite a simple setup but it was very disorienting. Crew members had physically touch each other to keep their bearings & there were incidents of people walking into mirrors. Even Bruce Lee. He also say's it was extremely hot & they had to use big industrial fans to keep the set cool when not filming.

Thanks for the info. Well, they left the sets intact long enough to film the documentary there.

I recently re-watched BRUCE LEE THE MAN THE LEGEND....

I noticed that some of the made-for-documentary martial arts demonstrations were done on the set of Enter the Dragon (where Han has all of his souvenir displayed).

My question is: Was this a set? Or was this an actual place? (like a museum?) And if was a set, I see no time was wasted filming the doc! OR, was this documentary already planned?

It was a set. In Robert Clouse's book on making Enter The Dragon he says how difficult that scene was to film. Strategically it was quite a simple setup but it was very disorienting. Crew members had physically touch each other to keep their bearings & there were incidents of people walking into mirrors. Even Bruce Lee. He also say's it was extremely hot & they had to use big industrial fans to keep the set cool when not filming.

Thanks for the info. Well, they left the sets intact long enough to film the documentary there.

As a correction, the footage of the demonstration was not really a demonstration at all-it was test footage shot at the time ETD was finishing production. This was during Wong Shung Leung's famous visit to the set, with a couple pupils, and Bruce, using GH Studio equipment, had he and said pupils screen test. (This is why Chow chose to use it here; he OWNED it, outright.) [other footage like the New Territories exterior, and such, were shot on Bruce's personal equipment.] Lee was considering using Wong for the role originally offered Taky Kumura. Wong wanted no part of appearing, and went through this process, because Lee was so insisting. This is also when Wong noticed Bruce's eyes and skin to be dull and pale...

As a correction, the footage of the demonstration was not really a demonstration at all-it was test footage shot at the time ETD was finishing production. This was during Wong Shung Leung's famous visit to the set, with a couple pupils, and Bruce, using GH Studio equipment, had he and said pupils screen test. (This is why Chow chose to use it here; he OWNED it, outright.) [other footage like the New Territories exterior, and such, were shot on Bruce's personal equipment.] Lee was considering using Wong for the role originally offered Taky Kumura. Wong wanted no part of appearing, and went through this process, because Lee was so insisting. This is also when Wong noticed Bruce's eyes and skin to be dull and pale...

Wow. So you're saying Bruce Lee was alive, and probably present, at the time? What is your source for this info?

Wow. So you're saying Bruce Lee was alive, and probably present, at the time? What is your source for this info?

I was speaking of the men in Han's trophy room sparring... Which are you referring to? I mean I have the doc, but haven't seen it in a while...

If we're speaking of the same sequence, there's a short haired skinny lad sparring with Wu Ngan, Bruce's butler/life-long, confidant. Then, there's Wong demonstrating, then a last quick shot of Lee throwing a roundhouse punch at Wong, which shows Wong's reaction timing is terribly off...

"Yeah, that's right!"

thanks guys!

"Can't you see what I'm trying to tell you? Stop meddling, or you'll be sorry!"

Phantom Dreamer
Shannon Lee will hold a Q&A on twitter for an hour on November 11 at 11 a.m Pacific Standard Time.

It will be interesting to see the mentions.

She will just say the same old stuff. The estate might reveal a handful of unseen images or a few snippets of footage in HD over the next few years. Just don't expect the complete story on Bruce Lee.

I doubt the Bruce Lee estate would allow Death By Misadventure to be released if it came out now. The one thing it lacked was a decent budget/production values, but you could not knock the content on Bruce Lee. George Tan sounded like a very shady character but the guy had plenty of knowledge and he wasn't selling people the perfect image of Bruce Lee.

The last Documentary I bought was Intercepting Fist by Walt Missingham in the 90s. I passed on his final documentary Path Of The Dragon, and the other recent ones How Bruce Lee Changed The World, I Am Bruce Lee etc etc.

Phantom Dreamer
Shannon Lee will hold a Q&A on twitter for an hour on November 11 at 11 a.m Pacific Standard Time.

Was anything revealed? Probably not.

Archived