Twelve Gold Medallions German DVD (MiB)

John

I loved this film. I've never seen 14 Amazons, but I think I have to now as Cheng Kang directed a fast-paced, thrilling film with lively camera work and he wrote some really fun characters. I'm glad I went on Mr. Pollard's judgement with this one!

The DVD is from my menace, MiB! While things look and sound better on this disc than the other two I've commented on, I think the authoring still leaves much to be desired. This time, I found daylit scenes to be crisp and clear, if slightly lacking in resolution. There is considerable aliasing present however, and dark scenes suffer horribly from compression artifacts. The 2.0 Mandarin was quite acceptable; not like Vengeance, where I had to turn the speakers wayyy up to hear the flat and sometimes grating sound. I wonder if the 2008 date on the case might mark improvement on the part of Celestial's remastering; the film ends with their copyright indicating a date of 2000 though:ooh:. I intend to compare all of my MiBs to their IVL counterparts, so maybe I'll find out more then.

In any event, by virtue of Celestial's master or the film's abundance of day scenes, I found this disc to be largely not as distracting as the others. It's pretty cheap on amazon.de, so I'd recommend it to anyone interested.

EDIT: I just noticed that patron saint of the DVD, spannick, has made several entries for DVD editions on the ofdb! The IVL is letterboxed, but the TF1 disc looks mighty fine. I see a custom DVD project in my future...

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived