Equal Impact (1995)

AlbertV

Hey guys,

I watched this American B-movie this morning before work. The film revolves around twin brothers who are martial artists who unwittingly get themselves mixed up with a counterfeit ring using a kung fu school as its cover. Now, before you say Van Damme and Jackie Chan, the "twins" of the film are played by real-life twin brothers Jay Gates and Joe Gates, who are blackbelts in tae kwon do.

The film was your typical B-movie: crappy acting, but nicely shot fight scenes. The Gates twins really are good at TKD, doing some nice aerial kicks and jumping angle kicks to boot. The film also features Joe Estevez (Martin Sheen's brother) as the mob boss and Robert "Maniac Cop" Z'Dar as a bounty hunter who helps the twin brothers.

The fight choreography was done by Master Edgar Bailey (who plays the man hired by the villain to counterfeit the money), a taekwondo expert who runs schools in Washington and Oregon. As a matter of fact, lead actor Jay Gates is the chief instructor of the Keizer, OR branch of Bailey's Traditional TKD College.

http://www.traditionaltkdcollege.org/

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This sounds like some sort of lame politically correct version of Double Impact...

Well, there was no twins separated at birth bit like Double Impact or Twin Dragons. It was a typical B-movie but the Gates twins are definitely really good martial artists.

ShaOW!linDude

Just got through reading your review, AV. Another good one, as always. I'd be interested in seeing this at some point.

It's definitely going to be hard to find...I don't think it is out on DVD. I saw it because I had taped it off cable in the late 90's and I was rummaging through my VHS collection that weekend and saw it, so I popped it in. This was right when I was beginning to embrace the Hong Kong film genre but still had a love for American MA flicks that went straight to video.

Archived