Circus Kids (1994) - Yuen Biao, Donnie Yen, Ken Lo, Bey Logan

Guest rederror

Guest Markgway

Just wondering if anyone knows who played Wu Ma's old flame (I think her character name is 'Yau')? It's a noteable role but she receives no billing. Thx.

ShaOW!linDude

Well, this will probably be no help to you whatsoever.

Just checked my dvd which is a double feature of Donnie Yen's HIGH VOLTAGE with CIRCUS KIDS which stars he and Yuen Biao.

There are no credits at the beginning of CK at all and the end credits only list Biao and 3 others one of which is for the character "Ellen" played by Won Bik Ha. It's English dubbed with English subs and the names/dialogue don't really match up (at least for the portions I viewed).

I'll try to view it this weekend and maybe find something out unless you get an answer before then.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay, I just got through watching this again. I recognize the woman you're speaking of but I have know earthly idea what her name is. She looks familiar but I can't even recall what else I've seen her in before.

Sorry.

Guest Markgway
Irene Wan Pik Ha?

She's Wu Ma's daughter/Donnie Yen's love interest.

Okay, I just got through watching this again. I recognize the woman you're speaking of but I have know earthly idea what her name is. She looks familiar but I can't even recall what else I've seen her in before. Sorry.

Thanks for looking.

Is this even quarter-good? Someone I know mentioned years ago only good thing in flick are lo wai kwong action scenes....tho said they are superb...

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
8 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

Is this even quarter-good? Someone I know mentioned years ago only good thing in flick are lo wai kwong action scenes....tho said they are superb...

Ken Lo steals the show. And it's a pretty good example of Bey Logan's writing skills....

Guy is an amazing historian, but.....

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 10/11/2019 at 3:48 AM, gwailosforever said:

Bey Logan is in it yes, but as far as I'm aware he didn't write it. 

I forgot where I read that. The dialogue could really use some punch up. But the print is lush, and the action is decent with an excellent end fight. Lots of cute babes as well. The lead reminds me of one of my old, long suffering girlfriends. I should have married her, but I figured it out too late. Ahhh, such is life....

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer

I recently got through watching this one, and have to agree with the original poster in this thread. 'Circus Kids' is an epic waste of the talent involved, and to add insult to injury its a slog to get through. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/circus-kids-1994-review-yuen-biao-donnie-yen-ken-lo/

• Like 3

Cognoscente
On 1/11/2011 at 6:08 PM, Guest Markgway said:

Just wondering if anyone knows who played Wu Ma's old flame (I think her character name is 'Yau')? It's a noteable role but she receives no billing. Thx.

Bey Logan referenced this movie in his book about Bruce Lee. In a chapter titled Becoming Petrov, Bey said: “Zheng Shuang didn't actually speak any Cantonese, let alone English, and I didn't speak Mandarin. But the production gave us rooms with a connecting door, and some forms of communication ensued.”

Circus Kids was her last HK movie.

Bey also said: "One of the choreographers, Zebra Pan, had been one of Bruce Lee's core stunt team members. I enjoyed some down time between takes discussing his memories of The Little Dragon. Peter Chan Lung, another Lee veteran, came on set, though he didn't actually seem to be working on Circus Kids. Peter also shared some tales of his experiences with Bruce. It's these experiences that gave me something of a unique viewpoint when writing this book. I think most canny subjects, when on camera or being recorded by some other means, go into interview mode. Many of the insights I gleaned about Bruce came from these late night, on-set conversations. I tried never to break any confidences, but I did develop an overall perspective of Bruce Lee from the viewpoint of his Hong Kong co-workers; and in their native tongue, which also helped."

• Like 2