Ninja in the Dragon's Den

sdog2006

Just watched it for the first time ever. AWESOME!

Hwang Jan Lee was under used but the two main players were first class.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great movie yes!

Sanada is great

Remember i saw this movie in 1984 or 1985 on VHS and i was sure Conan Lee was Jackie chan for a long time hahaha. Impressed by Conan since he was no good fighter to begin with

according to Bey logan on HKL version

Think i have seen few different versions of it as well. the end scene is different in the dutch version. you see the womans breasts and some other small matters hehe.

Great movie yes!

Sanada is great

Remember i saw this movie in 1984 or 1985 on VHS and i was sure Conan Lee was Jackie chan for a long time hahaha. Impressed by Conan since he was no good fighter to begin with

Think i have seen few different versions of it as well. the end scene is different in the dutch version. you see the womans breasts and some other small matters hehe.

Bey Logan has a nerve slagging anyone's ability as a martial artist!:cry:

Cheers for the info dude!

Underused?? He almost ruined the movie imo, any more of him in this film and I might puke.

loved the whole movie and the dub is funny with all the cussing lol....but an awsome movie, great fights from Woo Ping as always

Good movie but not great.Everything is fine most of time but end is kinda lacklustre.

Fight in pagoda is awesome:angel:

Great movie yes!

Sanada is great

There's also a Korean Version where Park Hee Jin takes Sanada's role & Park Dong Ryong takes Hwang Jang Lee's role.

Underused?? He almost ruined the movie imo, any more of him in this film and I might puke.

You haven't got a very strong stomach I take it?

The ultimate bootmaster in a martial arts movie makes you puke? Okay then dude!:tongue:

You haven't got a very strong stomach I take it?

The ultimate bootmaster in a martial arts movie makes you puke? Okay then dude!:tongue:

His appearance in the film was only to raise the cheese levels, I've discovered many on this forum who love Hwang Jang Lee but his characters are way too campy and reminds me of why I stopped watching kung fu movies back in the day.

His appearance in the film was only to raise the cheese levels, I've discovered many on this forum who love Hwang Jang Lee but his characters are way too campy and reminds me of why I stopped watching kung fu movies back in the day.

Alright I've got to ask: what high concept theatre have you been watching to hold Hwang Jang Lee in such contempt? I mean, it's never a question of whether or not a kung fu film is campy or not, but rather the degree to which it is. You're making it sound like he crashed an Othello recital!:tongue:

Alright I've got to ask: what high concept theatre have you been watching to hold Hwang Jang Lee in such contempt? I mean, it's never a question of whether or not a kung fu film is campy or not, but rather the degree to which it is. You're making it sound like he crashed an Othello recital!:tongue:

LOL Exactly

I watch a martial arts movie for the action. There are exceptions where some of the acting is first class (Heart of the Dragon, Crime Story, Once Upon a Time in China etc)

However if I want to watch a film with charater or storyline then I'll watch 12 Angry Men, The Godfather, The Good the Bad and the Ugly or Shawshank Redemption. Shakespeare doesn't do it for me although Macbeth and The Merchant of Venice were entertaining in spots:xd:

Ninja in the Dragon's Den took the piss out of itself from start to finish although there were a couple of serious scenes. The action was tremendous throughout the film and Hwang Jan Lee's appearance at the end only served to bolster that.

If we're saying that the film was spoilt because he blew up when he spied a pair of tits then I think we're taking the movie a little too seriously.:cry:

If we're saying that the film was spoilt because he blew up when he spied a pair of tits then I think we're taking the movie a little too seriously.:cry:

This is actually the highlight of the film for me.:xd:I think we should spend the rest of the thread debating whether or not the titties simply defeated his pious Kung Fu, or if they were actually imbued with a power all of their own.:bigsmile:

Yes he was overused at times and enough is enough. I started watching those films in the early eighties and i had enough of Hwang Jang Lee in a short while. He always reminded me about his role with jackie as thunderleg/foot Impressive in a few flicks but not 20 So I see your point. He still does movies/TV in Korea. lol

He had a few haha

* Secret Envoy (1974)

* Black Dragon River aka Martial mates (1975)

* Year of the Dragon aka Kill the Shogun (1975)

* Korean Connection (1975)

* Secret Rivals (1976)

* Bruce Lee's Secret (1976)

* Shaolin Wooden Men (1976)

* The Invincible Armour (1977)

* The Secret Rivals 2 (1977)

* Instant Kung Fu Man (1977)

* Snuff Bottle Connection (1977)

* Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978)

* Drunken Master (1978)

* Hell's Wind Staff (1979)

* 36 Deadly Styles (1979)

* Dragon's Claws (1979)

* Demon Strike (1979)

* Heroes of Shaolin (1979)

* Dance of the Drunk Mantis (1979)

* Lackey and the Lady Tiger (1980)

* Two Fists Against the Law (1980)

* Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger (1980)

* Tiger Over Wall (1980)

* Young Hero (1980)

* Ring of Death (1980)

* Buddha Assassinator (1980)

* Heroes of Shaolin (1980)

* Blood child aka Five Fingers of Steel (1980)

* Sangwoon (1980)

* Hitman in the Hand of Buddha (1981)

* The Eagle's Killer (1981)

* The Phantom Thief (1981)

* Return of the Deadly Blade (1981)

* Game Of Death II (1981)

* Ninja Strikes Back (1982)

* Art of High Impact Kicking (1982)

* Ninja in the Dragon's Den (1982)

* Kid from Kwangtung (1982)

* Secret Executioners (1982)

* Raging Masters Tiger Crane (1982)

* Eagle vs. Silver Fox (1982)

* 5 pattern Dragon Claws (1983)

* Duel of the Ultimate Weapons (1983)

* Ghosts Galore (1983)

* Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple (1983)

* Canton Viper (1983)

* Yong-pal in Shaolin Temple (1983)

* Angry Young Man (1983)

* Masters of Tiger Crane (1983)

* Shaolin: The Blood Mission (1984)

* Challenge of the Tiger (1985)

* The First Vampire in China (1986)

* Innocent Interloper (1986)

* Where's Officer Tuba (1986)

* Millionaire's Express (1986)

* Ninja Terminator (1986)

* Angel (1987)

* No Retreat, No Surrender II: Raging Thunder (1987)

* Magnificent Warriors (1987)

* Bed Companion (1988)

* Darkside of Chinatown (1989)

* Live Hard (1989)

* Future Hunters (1989)

* Street Soldiers (1991)

* Emperor of the Underworld (1994)

* Boss (1996)

* Return of Iljimae (TV series) (2009)

Heywood Jahitme

Hwang Jang Lee's appearance made it kinda cheesy and campy.

The makers were obviously trying to produce a classy film.

cVl8OcVz6Os

OOH - SHAKA NINJA!!!!

Hwang Jang Lee's appearance made it kinda cheesy and campy.

The makers were obviously trying to produce a classy film.

cVl8OcVz6Os

OOH - SHAKA NINJA!!!!

LOL:-)

Yeah that's the way I see it.

I would never have guessed in a million years that people would get sick of Hwang Jan Lee. The man is one of the best martial artists EVER and I could watch him in anything providing he's kicking ass.

Well,it´s not among his best performances though it`s more fault of director/script than hwang.Jokes in the end are too corny for my liking.As it stands now,it`s good movie and with better end it would be classic.

Those deleted scenes in hkl release are good too, they should have been included to film.

But in general if you see HJL name in movie it`s worth checking out, more often than not he is best thing in movie(and that is compliment not sarcasm.he has made some b-grade fu`s enjoyable because his cool presence among kicks).

I remember watching Game of Death II as a kid and was wondering why was the hero fighting Rick James at the end. Silly me, its not Rick James, just Hwang Jang Lee making another one of his amazingly cheesy end fight appearances.

Morgoth Bauglir

Wow! I never thought I'd ever hear someone knock the end fight in GOD 2:eek:

As for Ninja, I always thought the movie should have ended after Conan Lee and Sanada resolved their problem. I just consider the final fight a bonus. An awesome bonus fight.

I thought it was good as a movie the kung fu was great, especially the fight in the room by the stairs. I did think the end fight coulda been a little more action packed with both of them jumping Lee for a longer period.

Wow! I never thought I'd ever hear someone knock the end fight in GOD 2:eek:

As for Ninja, I always thought the movie should have ended after Conan Lee and Sanada resolved their problem. I just consider the final fight a bonus. An awesome bonus fight.

I didn't say it was a bad fight, I just thought it odd that he looked like Rick James in the super freak video! Overall I liked Game of Death II but Secret Rivals on the other hand, thats the most overrated movie I've ever seen, if Silver Fox is suppose to be an HJL signature character I wasnt impressed. I bought Secret Rivals based on recommendations and high praise given at this site and hated it. I realize HJL just isnt my cup of tea, his films and appearances are the definition of Chop Socky, his kind of films are the kind that comedians make fun of cause of all the camp.

I didn't say it was a bad fight, I just thought it odd that he looked like Rick James in the super freak video! Overall I liked Game of Death II but Secret Rivals on the other hand, thats the most overrated movie I've ever seen, if Silver Fox is suppose to be an HJL signature character I wasnt impressed. I bought Secret Rivals based on recommendations and high praise given at this site and hated it. I realize HJL just isnt my cup of tea, his films and appearances are the definition of Chop Socky, his kind of films are the kind that comedians make fun of cause of all the camp.

Thing is mate I can pigeon hole so much as being camp.

• Bruce Lee's yellow and black outfit in GOD, despite representing his fluidity and versatility as a martial artist, is as camp as it gets as are his high pitched war crys
  • Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao in Wheels on Meals come across as the gayest flatmates in history
  • The relationship between team USA in Best of the Best. OMG!!!!

I could go on but shouldn't we just appreciate the action in martial arts movies? If Hwang Jan Lee won camp actor of the century does it really matter? He is the greatest exponent of kicking I have ever seen and he killed a guy with one boot to the head - the reality is he's probably the furthest thing away from being camp that one person ever could be!

Whoever wrote the story or designed the customes should be irrelevent in the grand scheme of things and I wouldn't let it put you off. Just appreciate the guys ability.

TheFlyingPanda

This movie indeed was campy, the music made me laugh, but I still enjoyed it. Gladly have the HKL version in my collection. I'm still waiting for the greatest Ninja movie...One day... one day...

Archived