Midnight Cowboy

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guest Chinatown Kid

This is one of my favorite films directed by John Schlesinger and it stars John Voight and Dustin Hoffman. It tells the story of a naive young man played by Voight who travels to N.Y.C city to be a hustler/stud with the women and finds the big city is more harsh than he thought. He ends up developing an unusual and deep friendship with a seedy conman named Ratso Rizzo played to perfection by Dustin Hoffman. This film is humourous, insightful, tragic, and saddening. A very compelling character study of two desperate souls trying to survive in a big city that's not all glitzy and glamourous the way Voight's character of Joe Buck had thought it was. The end scene on the bus is one I'll never forget. It was originally rated X when it came out it 1969 before it was edited to R status. I think the current dvd of this film has all the edited footage reinstated but as of yet haven't seen it. Anyone else that's seen this film please give your opinion on it as I think it's one of the greats just like Nickleson's One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest drunkencrane082

this one has been on my "must view" list for quite some time, but i'll definetely be picking it up soon, now that its been made available on DVD...there are a slew of films made in the 1970's that i've been waiting until they were released in disk, simply because the VHS copies that been been available for years were often times edited and/or of poor quality...i just about hit the ceiling when criterion collect finally got around to remastering and releasing "straw dogs" a few year back, as i had wanted to see it for years and was never able to find a copy...it was just as good (if not better) than i had expected...hopefully "midnight cowboy" measures up as well.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I really enjoyed Straw Dogs too, I own the Anchor Bay dvd which looks pretty good. It was great to see Hoffman's meek and mild character finally turn vicious at the end and give those bully/thugs what they deserved. If you want to see a true classic then definately get Midnight Cowboy, I think you will be quite pleased. ;)

Guest sevenhooks

Great, classic film man.

The type of film that really rewards with multiple viewings.

Not to mention career-defining performances from Pacino and Angelina Jolie's poppa.

GREAT soundtrack too.

Guest godzillakungfu

Watched this movie when I was young trying to catch nudity. This was scuh an intelligent movie. I was shocked how good. I think I'll go rent it right now.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I've really got to get the uncut dvd version of this to add to my classic movie collection, it'll be interesting to see what was cut from the original 1969 version. And your right Seven Hooks, this movie really has a great soundtrack. My favorite is the song Everybody's Talkin by Harry Neilson.

Archived