Shogun Assasin!!

yrone

Just watching this movie for the first time and it has such a great vibe. Its dark and the soundtrack is freaky.The cinematography is great with the wide screen format and its damn near crazy in that 80s kind of way. The child narrating the film gives it something I've not seen in any other martial arts film. Anyone seen this one? Anything out there similar?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shogun Assassin is edited from Lone Wolf and Cub 1&2...There are 6 movies in total, parts 1-5 are great and #6 even as weakest one is still good.

There is tv-series releasec by tokyo shock also but it`s quite minimal on gore and I do not know if all volumes ever be available on dvd:squigglemouth:

And last, comic books LWaC are superb too.You can read them online at http://www.mangavolume.com/lone-wolf-and-cub/chapter-lone-wolf-and-cub-1

It`s not as enjoyable as owning paperbacks but at least it`s free:wink:

Soundtrack is great in SA indeed but overall I prefer LWaC, shogun assassin is more like collection of slaugher scenes with lack of proper storyline.

Yes I've seen it & there something similar to SHOGUN ASSASSIN as it's an edit of the first two LONE WOLF & CUB films dubbed into English then given a new story. Six LONE WOLF & CUB films where made from 1972-1974 they where LONE WOLF & CUB SWORD OF VENGEANCE, LONE WOLF & CUB BABY CART AT THE RIVER STYX, LONE WOLF & CUB BABY CART TO HADES, LONE WOLF & CUB BABY CART IN PERIL, LONE WOLF & CUB BABY CART IN THE LAND OF DEMONS, LONE WOLF & CUB WHITE HEAVEN IN HELL.

I didn't like LONE WOLF & CUB first time round as I was expecteding something as action filling as SHOGUN ASSASSIN but second time round being open & knowing what to expected I really enjoyed them.

Shogun Assassin is edited from Lone Wolf and Cub 1&2...There are 6 movies in total, parts 1-5 are great and #6 even as weakest one is still good.

There is tv-series releasec by tokyo shock also but it`s quite minimal on gore and I do not know if all volumes ever be available on dvd:squigglemouth:

And last, comic books LWaC are superb too.You can read them online at http://www.mangavolume.com/lone-wolf-and-cub/chapter-lone-wolf-and-cub-1

It`s not as enjoyable as owning paperbacks but at least it`s free:wink:

Soundtrack is great in SA indeed but overall I prefer LWaC, shogun assassin is more like collection of slaugher scenes with lack of proper storyline.

lol you got in there as I was writing my piece.

One Armed Boxer

There is already a pretty comprehensive thread about the 'Shogun Assassin' / 'Lone Wolf & Cub' movies, which is also located in it's rightful place, the Japanese Cult Cinema forum - http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7613

Anything out there similar?

Hong Kong schlock master Wong Jing put his own spin on the father / son combo theme in 'New Legend of Shaolin', with Jet Li & Tse Miu playing the father and son respecively.

There was an earlier english dubbed version that was released in the UK and US called LIGHTNING SWORDS OF DEATH (LWAC 2?). I've seen the trailer and a dvdr of it and it's good.

Check out Gza's Liqid Swords if you're into Hip Hop.

Good album, I saw him perform the entire album about two years ago on tour.

I have all the LWAC comics (and Samurai Executioner too) but haven't seen movies 5 and 6. Honestly, the first two are the best.

How does Shogun Assassin merge the two movies together though? Do they cut the hot springs scenes and just make Bentenrai the finale?

I think the Shogun Assassin soundtrack is very good, Daigoro's Theme is just amazing. I also like the dubbing, great voices mostly.

shaolin swords

im sorry im not trying to disrespect any body the swordplay action in the movie is amazing but it has got to be 1 of the wierdes movie i have ever seen i bought the lone wolf and cub box set.and just dont understand why in the first lone wolf in cub movie when the guys in the valliage want to kill him they tell him either you have sex with the girl or we will kill you or something like that now the guy hew plays the shogun assassin supose to be one of the best samuria but he dont fight them instead he has sex with the girl thats something i just didnt want to see thats like gordon liu haveing a sex seen in 8 daigram pole fighter or in master killer or one of the venoms haveing a sex seen in masked avengers or killer army or something it just dont make any sence it un called for.dont get me wrong the movie has its moments but can do with out something in the movie.on another note that gza first album is a classic was rocking it a couple of days ago i wish hip hop was the same as it was back in the days the golden era.

im sorry im not trying to disrespect any body the swordplay action in the movie is amazing but it has got to be 1 of the wierdes movie i have ever seen i bought the lone wolf and cub box set.and just dont understand why in the first lone wolf in cub movie when the guys in the valliage want to kill him they tell him either you have sex with the girl or we will kill you or something like that now the guy hew plays the shogun assassin supose to be one of the best samuria but he dont fight them instead he has sex with the girl thats something i just didnt want to see thats like gordon liu haveing a sex seen in 8 daigram pole fighter or in master killer or one of the venoms haveing a sex seen in masked avengers or killer army or something it just dont make any sence it un called for.dont get me wrong the movie has its moments but can do with out something in the movie.on another note that gza first album is a classic was rocking it a couple of days ago i wish hip hop was the same as it was back in the days the golden era.

Honestly, read the LW&C and Samurai Executioner manga. There are quite a few moments of weird, lurid sex. Koike and Kojima seem to be into that stuff, but then again most Japanese guys seem like perverts.

shaolin swords

space are all samurai movies like that are just the lone wolf and cub.because i want to start getting in to samurai movies but i want to watch a seriours movie with good swordplay do you know of any.

space are all samurai movies like that are just the lone wolf and cub.because i want to start getting in to samurai movies but i want to watch a seriours movie with good swordplay do you know of any.

No, honestly the Lone Wolf movies were "chanbara" B-movies so they were more violent and sexy than the average samurai movie. I have to say though, the comic book is still my favorite comic ever and is worth it. Also, don't give up on the series just yet, check out the second movie, Babycart on the River Styx.

Good swordplay is interesting in samurai movies because they tend to be realistic, so often there are no 10-minute long fights with flips, swashbuckling and detailed choreography. Having said that, here are some of my favorite action-based samurai movies:

-Samurai Spy

-Sword of Doom

-Samurai Assassin

-Kill!

-New Tale of Zatoichi

-Sanjuro

-Yojimbo

Archived