Hard Revenge Milly & Bloody Battle

Takuma

This seemed to deserve a topic of its own. After all, Bloody Battle is the best Japanese action film in more than 15 years.

bb7.jpg

Hard Revenge Milly, running 45 minutes, was originally the opening half in first volume of mini-budget Neo Action Double features. It was paired with a PG rated tokusatsu actioner Masked Girl - a harmless but relatively entertaining film on its own. Hard Revenge Milly on the other hand was ultra-violent revenge tale. Some of the violence goes beyond the boundaries of good taste (baby cruelty, mainly), but the film is also atmospheric and features a terrific performance by Miki Mizuno as an ice cold avenger. This girl is no kawaii idol, she will rip your heart out. A solid revenge and gore film for those with a strong stomach. 3/5

trailer:

The sequel, Bloody Battle, is a whole different beast. It was produced as a feature length (75 min) film with higher production values, superior post-apocalyptic set design (with some Blade Runner influences), and absolutely stunning action choreography. These are easily the best fights seen in Japanese cinema in decades. And gory - the special effects are courtesy of Yoshihiro Nishimura's SFX company Nishimura Eizo. Swords, kananas, nunchuku, firearms... and Mizuno handles it well. During the shooting she spent all the free time with nunchuku practicing. 4.5/5

trailer:

Screencaps for Bloody Battle

blb0.jpg

blb1.jpg

blb2.jpg

blb3.jpg

blb4.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what helps is that the camp is toned way down and that they are played pretty much as straight sci-fi/action movies.

ShaOW!linDude

I was curious as to if this was any good. I was interested in it but afraid to chance it. But if you guys say the MA in it is decent, I'll check it out at some point.

Looks like I'll have to check out Bloody Battle. I had seen a trailer and thought it kicked ass, but then got brought down back to earth after reading reviews saying it wasn't good. Glad to hear my first impression may have been correct.

This seemed to deserve a topic of its own. After all, Bloody Battle is the best Japanese action film in more than 15 years.

Please tell me you haven't seen 2LDK, Dead or Alive (1999), Fudoh, Princess Blade, Versus, When the Last Sword is Drawn, or Zatoichi.

OK so I saw Bloody Battle - decent film, but one which I think is best enjoyed with a large group of friends or in an anime convention type setting where the film's main selling points - it's increasingly gory death scenes and perverted black humor - would receive a constant string of oohhh's, ahhh's, and chuckles.

The action scenes are indeed above average for a Japanese movie, with a couple good one on one duels, but most of the time, the action is just taking a backseat until the next dismembering or remark about the gay lead villain's hypersexuality. I guess that's my main complaint about this film, it's like a lot of the newer Japanese actions films: heavily funded by an American company, aimed toward a foreign audience, and designed to get the most "wtf!" reactions out of their viewers. Yeah, the guys who worked on this obviously know how to film action, and many of the death scenes and weaponry used are creative, but instead of creating a cohesive film with action choreography and the talents of its lead actress as it's strong point, they instead are obsessed with pandering to a certain viewer reaction. The result is a disjointed film with some individually great moments, but what ultimately seems like a contest to see how much fake movie blood can be used or how many different ways a human's reproductive organs can have weapons attached to them (Mutant Girls squad, I'm looking at you.) Not really the formula for good film making.

Still..... I'll keep watching. These films are still giving us a new avenue for Japanese action that we wouldn't really get otherwise; a country that once gave us Lone wolf and cub and Sonny Chiba should not have tokusatsu kid shows as the highlight of its action industry! And there are cases like Alien vs Ninja, where the balance between the cheese and action is more skillfully found - especially when the creators in the final act said to themselves "screw it! this is really a martial arts film with only the facade of a sci-fi giant monster flick!" and decided to just have the lead ninja duke it out mano a mano with a man in a rubber suit for the remaining running time.

As for my vote of the best Japanese action film of the past 15 years.. It's hard. Most of the best ones are dramas first and foremost, like The Twilight Samurai. I would probably go with Jiu jitsu, since the main reason I think it was made was for Kurata to show his action team was the best in Japan, and just describing it is a contradiction: it's a japanese film with multiple, long, complicated, martial arts scenes, and with evenly skilled good guys and bad guys. Also, there was once a guy called Ryuhei Kutamura, who once made good action films before going to Hollywood.

I'm glad you watched it, Yakuza954.

The film is indeed very bloody. It's not a splatter film, but the director is a devoted fan of ultra-violence, and he used Nishimura Eizo (Tokyo Gore Police + every single other gore film from the past decade) for the special effects. Still, IMO it's clearly an action movie supported by gore effects, rather than the other way round.

One of the great things about Bloody Battle is that it's handmade - special effects and action. CGI is only used in a couple of futuristic background shots. The blood and gore is all traditional handwork, and action relies more on real skill than editing tricks.

Director Takanori Tsujimoto is a promising guy. He's done some short films for episode films before. His gunplay western Two Guns in Shin onna tachiguishi retsuden (2007) is quite bad and doesn't manage to impress with the action. I think it was one of the first things he directed.

The katana-melee festival Kilico in Kill (2008) (yet another Mamoro Oshii omnibus movie) shows more promise in terms of action. However, Kilico has quite low production values, almost zero storyline, and owes too much to Versus and Kill Bill.

Miki Mizuno appears in both, in a supporting role in Kilico and as the lead in Two Guns

Bloody Battle is where I think he got everything right: action, gore, atmosphere, soundtrack, awesome villains...

Tsujimoto is currently working on a new film. Title is yet to be announced. Hopefully a third Hard Revenge film.

Two Guns

Tsuyoi1.jpg

Tsuyoi3.jpg

Tsuyoi2.jpg

Shin onna tachiguishi retsuden trailer:

Kilico

Tsuyoi4.jpg

Tsuyoi5.jpg

Tsuyoi7.jpg

Kill trailer:

Please tell me you haven't seen 2LDK, Dead or Alive (1999), Fudoh, Princess Blade, Versus, When the Last Sword is Drawn, or Zatoichi.

I have seen all of those, although I wouldn't label all of those as purely action movies.

I have seen all of those, although I wouldn't label all of those as purely action movies.

Which is beside the point; like you said, Bloody Battle rubs shoulders with the splatter film, yet it is predominantly an action movie. Not all of those I mentioned were similar cases, but I would think at least something like Versus qualifies as an action film. It spends more time on action than Milly is long; even if it flirts with a handful of genres, Versus is mostly action. It also caused enough of a ruckus for Ryuhei Kitamura to become a mainstream, big budgeted director. The proof is in the pudding: cinematography, choreography, cast, location, stuntmen, and budget are a world of ambition apart from this film here. How could you even pit a smaller project like this against Versus?

I think it unfair. However, I did also mention I am not really taken with the panache of these recent Japanese splatterfests. I guess in contrast to my gold standard for modern Japanese action, Versus, I wonder if you couldn't elaborate on some key scenes or choices that make you feel differently?

One Armed Boxer
Not all of those I mentioned were similar cases, but I would think at least something like Versus qualifies as an action film. It spends more time on action than Milly is long; even if it flirts with a handful of genres, Versus is mostly action.

I have yet to see 'Bloody Battle', however I agree with John in I thought that Tak Sakaguchi was going to be Japan's new action hope having watched 'Versus'. The guy has the skills and is a talented fighter, and I thought there would be a Japan action cinema renaissance with he and Kane Kosugi, who I had also watched in 'Muscle/Blood Heat' around the same time as 'Versus'. The next Chiba & Kurata!....but alas it never happened.

My vote currently for the best Japanese action movie of the last 15 years though, based on purely an action perspective, would have to be 'Death Trance'. A cool little movie which put the action choreographer of 'Versus', Yuji Shimomura, in the directors chair, brought back star Tak Sakaguchi in a vaguely similar role, and basically threw him in the middle of the same forest as 'Versus', stripped away all the sci-fi elements, and replaced them with non-stop fighting and Steven Seagal's son with a bazooka. A fun day at the movies!

yXBclL5nWX8

John. Yes, some of the films you mentioned are action films for sure (by this I mean movies where action is the main attraction). But you also mentioned films like 2LDK (black comedy) and When the Last Sword is Drawn (jidai geki drama) that I wouldn't even come to think of associating with the action genre.

Bloody Battle has plenty of spices (splatter, scifi) but IMO it's quite clearly an action movie more than anything else. The fact that it packs 4 action scenes into 75 minutes, 3 of them being major ones, and includes nunchaku vs. katana duel, katana vs. kanata duel, fist fighting, gunplay, nunchaku vs firearms... should speak for itself.

Versus is an action film for sure. But I don't see how it featuring more action than is the running time of Bloody Battle could mean anything. It's almost twice as long. Naturally it can git more action into the running time.

Versus is cool. But what you say about the project size goes beyond my understanding. Versus was a film shot entirely in one forest, featuring cars and motorcycles borrowed from the filming crew, and starred an actor whom Kitamura picked up from the streets (Sakaguchi was a street punk / fighter before getting lucky).

Bloody Battle is almost more polished, dare I say bigger, production of the two. And as cool as Versus is, I do think Bloody Battle is a better movie.

Your "Kitamura became mainstream" note also goes beyond my understanding. Since when has popularity and director's success (that allowed him to start making bad movies) been connected to film quality? I pray to God mainstream producers never discover Tsujimoto, as pretty much all cool directors systemically go crap when this happens.

As for comparing the two I think Bloody Battle is visually more stylish: the cinematography is superior, the film is visually better looking, and the sets are more stylish. Tsujimoto has superior sense of style and some eye for details and atmosphere. The pacing is also better. As are the gore effects.

Versus is great fun but Kitamura has little patience or eye for creating atmoshere... he mainly throws in a dozen guys and tells them to fight for 10 minutes. Then, next scene: have the same 10 guys fight again. Somewhere in the process he loses some of the intensity. Bloody Battle has more of the 70's karate / chambara film spirit where every strike could potentially kill you. The action scenes are more intense. In Versus you kinda know these same guys are still gonna be fighting after 15 minutes because they can hardly do any damage to each other.

Here's a few example's of Tsujimoto's visual skill, taken from one of the film's first scenes

Superb framing and use of depth, as well as lights and shadows. Horizontal camera movement adds the final touch.

BB1.jpg

again, framing, shadows, lights

BB2.jpg

using water as mirror, on top of just creating an aesthetically great shop

BB3.jpg

Milly's bunker, with some Mad Max style rusty metal vibes. Slow zoom towards the bunker supported by low frequency audio

BB4.jpg

Cut to the enemy (the gas masks add an awesome genre feel to it)

BB5a.jpg

My vote currently for the best Japanese action movie of the last 15 years though, based on purely an action perspective, would have to be 'Death Trance'.

This one's one my favorites, too. Fun film all around. Shimomura did well as a director, too. The action choreographer of Death Trance, Go Ohara, on the other hand didn't do nearly as well with the hugely disappointing Gothic & Lolita Psycho.

btw, Alien vs Ninja was choreographed by Shimomura and Kensuke Sonomura (who choreographed Bloody Battle). AvN isn't as good as those other two films in terms of action, though. Not because of the choreography but because the director (Seiji Chiba) isn't the most talented guy in the word, and plays it more for laughs. Still, it's a great film.

Yakuza Weapon might be interesting too. Takaguchi and Yuudai Yamaguchi as directors, Shimomura as choreographer...

(dammit, my post as long as an average Kitamura film. Loses intensity in the process :tongue: )

The runtime of Versus is relevant precisely because, as you said, there is more time for action. There is also more time to develop the tension that plays so heavily into the balance a good action film needs to avoid becoming tiresome. Bloody Battle (BB) is challenged with less elbow room out the gate; I think this is manifests in the very archetypical story; a means to keep everyone on board as it speeds along. Versus plays around with the narrative a little more; for example, using flashbacks to suggest at the ensuing conflict, without explicitly revealing who the protagonist will be. BB being a sequel, it also faces the challenge of having already established a formula and it is one that does not change drastically. This isn't bad, it's just par for the course which is indeed the opposite of the revolution you suggest. The size of Versus I speak of isn't hindered by the frugality of it's production; it is the end product on film. Though only one location, it's used to great effect with varied natural and artificial lighting, as well as alternate locations in the forest and highway.

Kitamura is definately immature as a director. I think he put the brunt of his creative energy into Versus and hasn't re-cultivated that passion since. But his debut is still a frentic if frivilrous feature. I loved the atmosphere in Milly; it looks like Half-Life meets Mad Max or something and I was completely excited. No arguing at the superior cinematography, but as this isn't exclusively the domain of the action film I should think Kitamura's sufficient. Rather, I would contend that the cast in Versus, particularly Tak Sakaguchi, deliver much more convincing movement in their fights. The bloodletting that accompanies the violence is also less the garden hose school of gore, and I think this leaning in the direction of realism lends damage a punch BB doesn't have. It also gives the over-the-top bits space to breathe a bit; the first time you see that guy just EXPLODE like an RPG hit him or punch through the head it's more of an acceleration than just seeing blood sprinklers every time. And while I'd agree that he could let up on the back-to-back action, I've got to give Kitamura credit for inserting tension between those scenes. In BB, what was there to keep me edging off my seat? The stakes weren't that high; Milly is a killing machine and we never doubt her. She also has to be a strong silent time that doesn't really get a chance to make me care about her. I don't particularly care about her "cub" either. At least with someone like Oogami Itto he emotes and interacts in a way that we experience some of his pain and get to know the character. Milly isn't entirely unsympathetic, but she is a little synthetic. I felt like I got to know Tak and Hideo Sakaki's characters. Their ages long conflict really added a dimension to their confrontation.

The Japanese action scene was on life support for a while, so I'm glad as anyone at least someone is doing something about it. Nevertheless, I think where the actual action is concerned, BB is still sophomoric. It's not a slight against the people behind it; as if it isn't hard enough to capture convincing combat on film, weapons demand expertise. Neither cast was plentiful with Tomisaburou Wakayamas, but I'd definately give props to Versus for getting a little closer. Kitamura's transition to mainstream speaks to the positive reactions of others to Versus. I mean, it's possible that there simply wasn't a choice between him and the crew behind BB at the time, but it achieved a successful reaction and I think I've identified why. It also makes things like Azumi all the more painful...:cry: I think if the karate people from Black Belt combine with the team from Bloody Battle and make say, Black Belt Bloody Battle, true magic will happen based on the alliteration alone. :xd:

I do dig the mythology in Versus, even if there isn't so much of it (compared to the running time). The ending is awesome, and while I said it doesn't have the atmosphere of BB, there is this wonderful tunnel shot just before the climax.

Milly's cub was admittedly based on kawaii factors. Even her name is Haru (love this name). Worked well for me :tongue:

The action scenes in the two film... Versus is certainly more of a movie for martial arts aficionados. It's got lots of action and lots of choreography. BB invests more on impact and "quality"... the fights are shorter, 100% intensity, kinda "best bits only". For me, the latter works better but if you're a fan of Hong Kong style martial arts films, then Versus probably has a lot more to offer.

And I don't deny my preferance for gore films. Nishimura is one of my favorite directors (love Vampire Girl to the bone... awesome love-comedy-splatter and pop-satire.)

And yes, the sequel status is one of the film's flaws. While I think the film as a whole is far superior to HRM, it does lack some emotional impact. Milly is revenge tale, but the main part of the revenge was already dealt with in the first film. BB is less personal for its protagonist, and more of an action film than revenge movie in terms of priorities.

And I gotta reveal a secret. I LOVE AZUMI. You wouldn't know what kind of impact Aya Ueto had an a (back then) 17 year old guy. And how many photobooks, posters, dvds etc. would be purchased in the following few years :nerd: Haven't seen it for many years, though.

I've got Black Belt sitting right next to me. Hick-Kick Girl (directed by the choreographer of Black) was a bit disappointing although it had notable school girl compensation factors. And I have negative approach towards modern Japanese period movies. Back in the days they did cool stuff, but nowadays period films tend to be either: a) TV level dramas for housewives, or B) Japanese Oscar wanna-bees. I'm not saying the latter ones are all bad movies, especially when you actually watch them, but I find it difficult to get excited about them as compared to something no-rules, no holds barred action such as Bloody Battle, or Versus. But I'm hoping Black Belt will turn out well.

Finally saw Hard Revenge Milly last night and I have to say, found it to be an interminable bore.

Hope Bloody Battle is the vast improvement people say it is.

One Armed Boxer
nowadays period films tend to be either: a) TV level dramas for housewives, or B) Japanese Oscar wanna-bees. I'm not saying the latter ones are all bad movies, especially when you actually watch them, but I find it difficult to get excited about them as compared to something no-rules, no holds barred action such as Bloody Battle, or Versus. But I'm hoping Black Belt will turn out well.

Ha ha...we echo each others sentiments pretty well.

Based on what you`re saying you enjoy, I`m not sure how much you`ll get out of `Black Belt`. Unlike stuff like `Versus` with its anything goes action approach, and `High Kick Girl` which was essentially a show-reel, all be it an entertaining one, for Rina Takeda, `Black Belt` is first and foremost a drama, though it should be said it`s a good drama.

There is an abundance of fights in the movie, for modern day Japanese standards, however they are all of the straight forward one-on-one karate style, with the exception of one brief skirmish when Tatsuya Naka goes against a group of fighters beating up his old friend. However I would say that all the fights are there to add to the drama, rather than being the seperate set pieces you get in `High Kick Girl` and any Hong Kong action movie from the 80`s.

I don't know what it is about the gore in all these recent splatter flicks, but the only word I can think of is "fake". But it's weird, because most gore isn't very realistic. Maybe it's because of the plasticky way in which it's done; when I see it just screams out "Aha! See THAT? We're totally KUH-RAY-ZEE".:sad: It's almost the same feeling as when some films exposit a bunch of characterization really awkwardly ("well, as your mother I..."). Or maybe it's just because I'm so used to the traditional syrup/red paint-looking blood that this variety is so strange. Weird.

Because it does have moments of brilliance amid the chaos, I do have a love/hate relationship with Azumi. That old master tearing the place up like nobody's business was amazing. The ninja ambush also stands out. I have to admit, it was one of my first chambara-type films and there was a lot to sink my teeth into. Coming back to it however, the nostalgia is still there but now I know what good fights look like. And Ueto couldn't combat a caterpillar. :tongue: The film also slowly succumbs to some kind of disease as it goes on; maybe Kitamura caught some Foxkill off of Kojima. If only he used protection.

I think you'll like Black Belt. It starts really strong and delivers the realistic sort of combat you'd expect of a period piece. I was glued to the screen; genuine karateka make all the difference. I did feel more than just a little cheated with that ending, however.:crossedlips:

ShaOW!linDude
I think you'll like Black Belt. It starts really strong and delivers the realistic sort of combat you'd expect of a period piece. I was glued to the screen; genuine karateka make all the difference. I did feel more than just a little cheated with that ending, however.:crossedlips:

Agreed. I felt the end fight turned into more of a slugfest (in a sense) than a duel between karatekas.

One Armed Boxer
Agreed. I felt the end fight turned into more of a slugfest (in a sense) than a duel between karatekas.

Interesting....I actually enjoyed the finale for precisely the reason you & John didn't enjoy it. The fight was realistic in tone with the rest of the movie in the sense that both fighters became increasinly exhausted, and as the fight wore on in real time it became less and less about technique and skill, and more about just 2 humans trying to overpower each other, despite having barely enough breath to stand.

Beautiful use of black & white photography as well.

I sometimes like these realistic touches to movies....like the scene with Sammo Hung during the final fight of 'Enter the Fat Dragon', when he stops the fight simply so he can keel over and get his breath back....very different movie, but it still adds that touch of realism to the proceedings.

I didn't have a problem with the fight, I just thought it was a retarded conclusion to the story. They would have all been shot. Yeah, I know what you mean about realism; movie Jackie Chan can fight for 20 minutes! LOL.

ShaOW!linDude
I didn't have a problem with the fight, I just thought it was a retarded conclusion to the story.

My bad. Sorry. I didn't mean to misunderstand or misrepresent your post.

No worries.:smile: I think we're doing alright for an internet forum.:bigsmile:

Don't worry. I'm sure I'll manage to insult someone in no time :angel:

I don't know what it is about the gore in all these recent splatter flicks, but the only word I can think of is "fake". But it's weird, because most gore isn't very realistic. Maybe it's because of the plasticky way in which it's done; when I see it just screams out "Aha! See THAT? We're totally KUH-RAY-ZEE".:sad: It's almost the same feeling as when some films exposit a bunch of characterization really awkwardly ("well, as your mother I..."). Or maybe it's just because I'm so used to the traditional syrup/red paint-looking blood that this variety is so strange. Weird.

I don't think there's anything strange in people enjoying splatter films. People like kaiju and tokusatsu films, too, largely for the same reasons, too. Because they're fun, exciting, imaginative, and surprising. I love handmade special effects just like I love Jackie Chan stunts (and I hate anything done with cgi, be it gore, stunts or anything).

But of course splatter is not for everyone. Some people don't appreciate blood and special effets, just like some people don't understand what is so cool about "mindless macho violence" (that is, the entire martial arts movie genre). "Acquired taste", as my friend put it recently.

The new wave jp splatter is admittedly an "insider genre" to some extent. It's always the same actors (often with references to their real life insterted into their characters), and with constant references to other genre films, and re-use of characters from other movies, and of course all the spin off short movies. Not to mention that Nishimura especially is quite a political guy in the sense that his films are always full of pop culture and social phenomena satire that may no work so well of people not familiar with subjects like ganguro, kawaii, japan's foreigner policy etc. All this stuff won't make a splatter hater suddenly change his mind, but it does add a lot of fun for the genre fans...

... assuming the films are good. Nishimura is great. Noboru Iguchi is not. He's never made a single good film. But I do sympathize him. He’s a very funny guy live, much more so than his movies.

Based on what you`re saying you enjoy, I`m not sure how much you`ll get out of `Black Belt`.

Ok, watched this one last night. It's not bad... but not that good either. The film starts out well once you get over the terrible introduction texts. Realistic karate is always a feast. The storyline is what it is, but works well enough cause you don't have to take it too seriously...

...until after halway. Then the film starts sinking deeper into pretentious b-grade drama. Zero vision from the director, but instead an attempt to prove they are making "a serious movie". The use of b/w image came out as a terribly prenetious attempt to be artistic. The wise and philosophical speeches at the end are also embarrasing...

.. which is a very amusing paradox. The 1970's karate cheese burgers might have had some similar speeches, but those films were unashamedly fun b-films... those speeches were just cool... and after the film, you sometimes might even think that hey, that was an awesome silly movie, but that quote had a point to it... more so than the filmmakers ever intended. Call it giving inspiration.

Black Belt... that was so far up its ass you don't want to learn anything from it.

Ok, exaggerated for the sake of making a point. Please no one take offence. As I said, the film wasn't bad. But I do wish more Japanese filmmakers would have balls to do real, explosive action movies and worry less about the critical and intellectual reception. Make something like Versus, for instance...

... well, one guy at least is trying his best:

"...our films don't have love affairs or crying scenes. Instead, we've got nothing but assholes & violence!" - Yoshinori Chiba, Sushi Typhoon producer

ShaOW!linDude reviewed these in his thread "My Many MiniReviews"

- http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showpost.php?p=165302&postcount=60

Double feature!

HARD REVENGE MILLY (2008) Running time: 44 mins.

Stars: Miki Mizuno, Mitsuki Koga Dir.: Takanori Tsujimoto

Yokohama is a wasteland (for whatever reason; who knows; doesn't matter). Milly's a woman out for revenge against the Jack brothers who killed her husband and child and left her for dead.

1st fight ---- Very brief. Nothing more than a bloodletting actually.

2nd fight ---- 3 assailants. This isn't too bad. 2 of the assailants are pretty easily and gorily dispatched. The last one, the leader Jack, is not. There's a good amount of MA in this and the choreography is not all that bad. There's a bit of wire-work at the end but it's not overused and doesn't look too shoddy. The fight has a really good flow to it.

The movie is pretty gory and bloody. It's actually sort of comical really, in a campy sort of way. It's not gore that will gross you out but it will make you say "what the.....!"

Milly's kind of a cool character (to me anyway). She's obviously cybernetic. She uses a sword attached to her wrist, a shotgun inside her right leg she cocks with a low kick, and some mechanical tentacles wielding Ginsu knives in her chest. I love how in apocalyptic movies where necessities are a luxury, crazy-cool cyborg parts are an affordable commodity. (No, we can't figure out an alternate source of fuel but, by gum, we can slap a shotgun in your leg. Careful with that. Don't want to shoot yourself in the foot.)

HARD REVENGE MILLY: BLOODY BATTLE (2009) Running time: 75 mins.

Stars: Miki Mizuno, Nao Nagasawa, Kazuki Tsujimoto, Ray Fujita, Masahiro Koumoto, Mitsuki Koga

Dir.: Takanori Tsujimoto

A woman, Haru, seeks out Milly because she desires revenge and wants Milly to help her get it. Soon some old friends of Jack, brothers Ikki and Hyuma, are after Milly, too.

Opening fight is waaaaaaaaaaay cool!!! Seriously! Never knew nunchuks to the back of a guy's head could knock his eyeballs out. (I know, right? Makes you want to run right out and try it on somebody.)

2nd fight ---- Starts off with Milly and Haru doing a little sparing with tonfas in a parking deck. Hyuma and Ikki show up along with some gratuitous goons who will die. There is a nice duel between Hyuma (using a katana) and Milly (using nunchuks). But then Ikki steps in and rips the mecha-tentacles from her chest with his own cybernetic-enhanced right fist. Oh, and he hacks off her right arm.

Then while Milly is being treated/repaired (?), Ikki and Hyuma kidnap Haru. Of course Milly comes to the rescue. She takes out the henchmen (anyone know what these guys' pay-rate is? I need a job) with a set of machine-gun nunchuks. Pretty cool. Got to get a set of those. (On second thought, think I'll skip on that henchman gig. I bet they don't have any medical coverage.)

The Big Throwdown --- Milly vs Ikki

This is, without a doubt, one of the best sword fights I've seen in ages. Great choreography that segues into a really good MA fight. It is just a superb end fight. And that's all I'll say about that 'cause you need to see it for yourself.

Oh, the plot has a nice little twist, too.

Everything I've read is true. This is the better film than the 1st one (which I think is a fun 40 min. watch). This has a greater plot, better characterization (Ikki is such a great villain), and far better action/MA. It's still got some laugh-out-loud, gory, bloodletting moments. Got to love it though. I'm actually hoping for a third installment.

I got this as a double-feature dvd. Don't know that it comes any other way. Both movies together run 120 mins. I watched the 1st on one evening and the 2nd the next. You could sit through both. But you really ought to watch the first one just to get the flavor and it'll also give you a greater appreciation for the 2nd one which is a major step in the right direction for a sequel. (And ain't that a rarity these days!) Get this!!!!

blue_skies

s:

I agree CGI splatter looks nothing but completely fake and takes me out of the movie. I haven't seen this film yet but my experiences elsewhere annoys me so much. As you say it could be I'm just used to seeing the traditional practical blood spurting. But it's not just the look of it as its spraying, it's the costumes or their surroundings getting bloody, it's the subtle expression as it hits the actor's face even if it is ludicrously over-the-top. It just looks so much better than the sterile CGI blood which of course leaves our hero/heroine looking so artificially clean.

Archived