Profile in Anger (1984) - Opinions?

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I've been on an 80's kickboxing movie kick (no pun intended) lately....having recently watched 'Angry Ranger', 'Hong Kong Godfather', 'A Bloody Fight', & 'Naughty Boys'.

I was really looking forward to checking out 'Profile in Anger', now that it finally has a decent DVD release from Joy Sales, unfortunately though I came out dissapointed with this one.

Perhaps my hopes where too high, but with a cast of Leung Kar Yan, Chan Wai Man, Ko Fei, and Chang Yi, I thought it would be impossible to go wrong. I think 'Hong Kong Godfather' was just on another level, and I wanted more of the same, but with 'Profile in Anger' the fights really didn't deliver for me.

Particularly, without going into spoiler territory for anyone who hasn't seen it, I was let down with the final confrontation between Leung Kar Yan & Chan Wai Man, I was certain it was going to be more of a one-on-one deal!

That said, the movie does have it's bizarre moments to keep some entertainment value, such as the motorcycle pirate complete was a parrot on his shoulder, and Chan Wai Man casually running over the pregnant mother of a child he's just beaten...but these moments of random insanity that HK cinema was so well know for back in the day are sadly too few and far between in this movies case.

I plan to watch 'Killers Nocturne' next, so hopefully it will be an improvement and a return to the mayhem of the movies I mentioned earlier!

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Agreed the fights could have been better. But it’s a weird movie full of great performances. Definitely one worth owning. Keep your expectations way down for Killer’s Nocturne. Not a lot of action, but there’s a few good scenes, including some really intense crazy action at the end.

One Armed Boxer
But it’s a weird movie full of great performances

Yeah it is pretty weird...it almost goes off into 'Mad Max' territory when he goes off to confront the junkies, who all act like zombies, in their underground lair.

& the final freeze-frame! A before and after shot of Leung Kar Yan with and without his beard, or is it supposed to be a comparison between his happy and angry face?....ahhh, now I get it, it's his 'Profile in Anger', right now it's clear.