John Carpenter's... The Thing

Guest teako170

Guest teako170

[ [ [ spoilers ] ] ]

Seen this many times but recently re-watched it in its widescreen glory. I never really gave the ending much thought until this last viewing but then I began to question... is the "thing" truly dead?

Plenty of threads over at IMDb discuss this very question and raise many good points. Even Carpenter and Kurt Russell have said they weren't sure. I have to go with the obvious that Keith David was "it" because you don't see his breath (from the cold) in the end scene.

Thoughts on this chiller (no pun intended) classic?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of my favorite Sci-fi/horror movies, Carpenter and Russell were on a good roll back then, it's been a while since I seen this, but I don't remember ever thinking the thing was still alive at the end, I guess it was very possible, if this is the case, they need to make a sequel!

Guest teako170
I guess it was very possible
Exactly. The ending is extremely ambiguous and opens up all sorts of possibilities. Remember that Blair deciphered on his computer that if the thing made to civilization, it could wipe out all life within 1000(?) days. A definite sequel possibility but not sure if I would want to see them go in that direction. I like the fact that the ending is very unclear, leaving it to the viewer to come to his own conclusion.

I see what your saying, on one hand it's like the Matrix sequels, if the first one is good, just leave it at that, but on the other, Russells still acting, and Carpenter needs a good movie, I haven't been impressed with his latest movies (I think Scream sucked big time). I'd rather see a Thing sequel, than a 7 Samurai remake anyday! Hell I'd rather see a It's Alive sequel/remake!

Guest Markgway

Since there was no sequel (the film flopped because every arse in the US went to see E.T instead :rolleyes ) we have to assume the possibility that one of the men maybe "The Thing" and that once transformed they would kill the other and then freeze to death in isolation during the long winter months. If, however, both escaped "The Thing", they would still freeze to death, but in good company. Dark, indeed. Glad, they didn't do a sequel, because they invariably disappoint.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
This is one of my favorite Sci-fi/horror movies,

Right on.

And Markgway, I agree, if a sequel were made today I think we'd all be thinking it would've been better not to.

Oh ya, It's Alive, silly as it is was an entertaing flick. But I'd still prefer no remakes.

In fact, I f*cking hate remakes! With the exception of the Gamera remakes, well done stuff, totally respected.

Guest moongirl6

This is also a favorite of mine, although I haven't watched it in a while. My reaction to the end was that you don't really know if either one of them is the thing (although I personally always felt that Kurt Russell's character was in the clear). The story this movie is based on is terrific ("Who Goes There" by John Campbell). Has anyone here read it?

PS--Although this movie is a lot different from "The Thing From Another World", I would think it would still be considered a remake.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The Thing is one of the few examples of a superior remake to the original. Aliens is one of the few sequels (I know of) to really deliver justice to the original. Alien and The Thing have got to be a couple of the greatest sci-fi films made along with Blade Ruinner. Today I'm just not sure any of the filmakers or studios are capable of doing the same.

I think the ending is an intentional mystery. However, I've heard on another forum, that there is an alternate ending where Kurt Russell wakes up in a hospital or something.

Or;

"MacReady was drinking whiskey behind some table with the buildings burning about (after he blew the big Thing up) and it seems its gonna end, but then someone comes up from behind him. The figure sits next to him and everyone knows it's the Thing that survived. Then MacReady looks at the figure and sees himself. A copy of himself. He nods at the Thing and pours it a shot of whiskey. That's how it ended, or the way I remembered"

"There was a third ending too, I heard. It has Mac waking up in a South African hospital and the doctor's taking a blood test, which shows Mac was human."

These staements were made by a fellow member at the Temple Of Dagon HPL forum.

Don't know about the accuracy of them.

Me, I like the ending just the way it is.

Guest nickoftime04

i liked the thing, good flick. the video game for playstation is weak tho.

x-files did their version of the thing which was dope as hell for 45min episode. from season one, called....ICE, i think?

Guest moongirl6

The Thing in the guise of MacReady would have been a cool alternate ending.

Has anyone here ever seen "Dr. X"? There is a scene in it that always reminds me of the scene in Carpenter's The Thing where they're doing the blood tests and they're tied to the bench. I've often wondered if the similarity was intentional, if Carpenter was 'inspired' by that scene and did his own version of it in the Thing.:rolleyes

I wouldn't doubt it, even the greats have to draw inspiration from those before them. You can always be surprised by watching older movies, finding just where people got their ideals from.

Archived