Celestial/Shaw movie deal ?'s

nectarsis

Does anyone have a good place to check out details of Celestial buying the Shaw library?

I am interested in:

The total paid..

Why only (aprox) 760 of the 1,000 movies were to be released...

Any additional details how the deal came about/was handled...

Thanks for any info/links :nerd::xd:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

Total Paid is easy since it is on their website:

By the time the studios wrapped production in the early 80s, Sir Run Run could claim credit as the producer of the largest Chinese language film library in the world. The 800 title library was sold in 2000 for US$84 mil to a multi-media company, Celestial Pictures.

Go to http://www.shaw.sg and search for Celestial (the query string is quite long and ugly) or check here

I am actually thinking that they lost a few films over the years. Happens to all studios (especially since film of that time is quite flammable) unfortunately.

Most film isn't actually lost to fire (although they would burn up like crazy if they ignited... usually they melted first) but to the film stock just plain breaking down. When I used to run movie theaters we'd do revivals and show vintage copies of films. If it smelled like vinegar and cat piss, then the film itself was starting to breakdown and would be very brittle. There was a chemical treatment (Renovex, I believe it was called) that would do a huge amount of good, helping to restore some of the suppleness to the film but it made baby seals grow arms out of their foreheads or something and the EPA banned it like 15 years ago.

When film breaks down, it not only becomes unsuitable to run through a projector but it slowly loses the image on frame making restoration near impossible in many cases.

Plus, they used to melt down film stock so even if hundreds of copies existed at one time, many were deliberately destroyed... kind of like the BBC erasing video tapes in the '70s.

Archived