Ninja Scroll-like Flicks?

loempiavreter

loempiavreter

Can anyone recommend me any japanese movie that's like a live action version of Ninja Scroll, complete with super powered well equipped ninja baddies and monstrosities? The obvious ones are the film versions of Futaro Yamada pulp novels which was a heavy influence on the Ninja Scroll animation, I've listed them up but don't know if there's a reliable release for everyone of them (although I listed some), and if somebody saw any of these films how Ninja Scroll or Kouga Ninja Scrolls-like where they (except for the names in italic, I've seen those):

Ninjutsu gozen-jiai/Torawakamaru, The Koga Ninja (1957) Kurotogaki?

Yagyû bugeichô/Yagyu Secret Scrolls (1957) Kurotogaki?

Yagyu bugeicho - Ninjitsu/Yagyu Secret Scrolls 2: Two Secret Swords (1958) Kurotogaki?

Gedō Ninpōchō (1962)

Ninja Tsukikageshō (1962)

Edo Ninpōchō (1963)

Kunoichi Ninpōchō (1964)

Ninpō Chūshingura (1965)

Fūrai Ninpōchō (1965)

Fūrai Ninpōchō (1968)

Shinobi no Manji/The Secret of the Fylfot (1968)

Ninpō Sōden 73 (1969)

Makai Tenshō/Makai Tensho: Samurai Reincarnation (1981)

Iga Ninpōchō/Ninja Wars (1982) US? THAI? HK version? Which is best

Kunoichi ninpô chô (1991)

Kunoichi ninpô chô II: Sei shôjo no hihô (1992)

Kunoichi ninpô chô III: Higi densetsu no kai (1993)

Kunoichi ninpô chô IV: Chûshingura hishô (1994)

Kunoichi ninpô chô: Jiraiya hishô (1995)

Makai Tenshō/Reborn from Hell: Samurai Armageddon (1996)

Makai Tenshō: Madō-hen/Reborn from Hell II: Jubei's Revenge (1996)

Kunoichi ninpô chô: Ninja tsukikage shô/Lady Ninja: Reflections of Darkness (1996)

Kunoichi ninpô chô Yagyû gaiden: Edobana jigoku-hen/Kunoichi: Lady Ninja (1998) Tokyo Shock

Makai Tenshō /Samurai Resurrection (2003)

Shinobi: Heart Under The Blade (2005)

Other potential flicks:

Jipangu/The Legend of Zipang (1990)

Genma Sappocho: Shensengumi Hishou/Kunoichi: Deadly Mirage (1997) Futaro flick?

Azumi 2: Death or Love (2005) This one had more Ninja Scroll-like villains

Taitei no Ken/The Sword of Alexander (2007)

Geisha vs ninja/Geisha Assassin (2008)

Samurai purinsesu: Gedô-hime/Samurai Princess (2009)

As you can see Im more familiar with the newer non-Futaro flicks , so im missing out a lot I guess.

And if there's an american ninja flick like this point me out in thsoe direction as well :P

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some suggestions:

Basilisk the anime series (it's about a trillion times better than Shinobi Heart Under Blade)

Samurai Reincarnation with Sonny Chiba (I believe it is based on a Futaro Yamada novel as well)

Renegade Ninja/Shogun Assassins (if you can find it)

Shadow Warriors TV series (there aren't many superninja per se, but there is magic and stuff and Sonny Chiba bein' all badass)

BlackLamaFaction

Shadow Hunters 1&2 (Toshio Masuda 1972)

Demon Spies (Tsuboshima Takahashi 1974)

17 Ninja (Yasuto Hasagawa 1963)

Red Shadow Akai Kage boshi (Shigehiro Ozawa1962)

Castle of Owls (Eiichi Kudo 1963)

Shoguns Shadow (Yasuo Furuhata 1989)

Hattori Hanzo (1979 Eiichi Kudo Film)

On Patrol & Purple Killer (Yasuto Hasegawa 1963 & 1964)

I have to agree with Michael, Basilisk is the best ninja anime series I've ever seen. I think all of these have been remastered except for the Yasuto Hasegawa films.

loempiavreter
Samurai Reincarnation with Sonny Chiba (I believe it is based on a Futaro Yamada novel as well)

Completely forgot Makai Tenshō, thanks for reminding me, yes it as Futaro based flick. And also big thanks for the suggestions.

I have to agree with Micheal, Basilisk is the best ninja anime series I've ever seen. I think all of these have been remastered except for the Yasuto Hasegawa films.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I have seen Basilisk which is a good adaption of The Kouga Ninja Scrolls and definately better then Shinboi Heart Under The Blade. Although I'm more partial to Kōga Ninpōchō: Aratame another manga version of The Kouga Ninja Scrolls even in it's unfinished state (but the story is all the same anyway, like the character designs better).

BTW, have you seen the Ninja Scroll TV show?

Thanks for Shogun's Ninja recommendation! It's becoming a pretty big list now :xd: The more the merrier :nerd:

Yeah I've seen the Ninja Scroll TV series, liked it as well.

Anyone any ideas if there DVD releases for the Futaro Yamada based movie stuff from 1962-1969? I can find most past that (although in it's native japanese release, without subs), but I'm having a hard time tracking these early stuff.

http://www.kurotokagi.com/

This guy is also selling TORAWAKAMARU, THE KOGA NINJA (1957), YAGYU SECRET SCROLLS (1957), YAGYU SECRET SCROLLS 2: TWO SECRET SWORDS (1957). based on Futaro Yamada's The Kouga Ninja Scrolls and Yagyu Ninja Scrolls, I have not heard about these late 50s versions. Is there a site like this selling the 60s work based on Futaro Yamada?

And is Tokyo Shock planning to release more from Kunoichi ninpô chô series? Apart from Kunoichi Lady Ninja?

Iga Ninpōchō/Ninja Wars (1982) US? THAI? HK version? Which is best

The US edition is better than the HK release. Same print with slightly more remastering, and far better encode. Pretty much all IVL Kadokawa releases are terribly compressed. I don't know how they do it, because I can do better myself, with free software and no tech understanding whatsoever...

Does it have to a Japanese flick? Because Duel To The Death (Hong Kong) kinda fits your needs.

Duh! That is so true and it is 100% awesome. I can't believe I missed that because I think I had just recommended it to someone else in another thread right before I wrote my original reply here! Even though I think it is out of print, I think we'll have to cover it on my podcast. I just caught Damian Lau in the Royal Tramp movies and was reminded how much I like him.

loempiavreter
Does it have to a Japanese flick? Because Duel To The Death (Hong Kong) kinda fits your needs.

Not really, but I don't really have much experience with japanese movies which is a whole new territory for me, japanese comics and such I know some stuff but live action-wise I only know Sonny Chiba.

Archived