Does CWM have more fans than Wang Yu?

MG Lerox

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Jimmy has more fans! But if it came down to a throwdown of the old skool triads, I think CWM's pitbull-like ferocity would dispense of ole' mr. Swingy arm, pretty damn fast! No One out of the fan circles know who CWM is. Jimmy has had cult hits like MOTFG to reach out to a wider audience!

Oh him! Chan Wai Man will definately kick Wang Yu's arse.

At the height of their powers, it would have been some hell of a scrap!:wink:

Kickboxing Chan vs Brawler Wang......

I also think that Wang Yu is more popular thats why i made this thread. Wang Yu is cult icon like TWC mentioned and quiet a lot of people outside fan circles knows who is Wang Yu, but if there is question about real life fight, Chan would kill Wang Yu.

For those who haven't seen this, enjoy:

I can't imagine Wang Yu holding up long in this fight :wink: But the question is about popularity... between Master of the Flying Guillotine and One Armed Swordsman, I think Wang Yu has CWM beat in that area.

Yeah, Chan Wei-Man was more of a supporting actor throughout his career whereas Jimmy Wang Yu pretty much set the template for modern martial arts films with The Chinese Boxer. Also the whole cult movie thing too with MotFG and Man from Hong Kong - I don't know how many people outside of hardcore kung fu fans are exalting praise for The Club. The disparity is only going to get bigger now with the new Donnie Yen movie too.

btw, every time Jimmy Wang yu gets compared to someone on this board, there inevitably is a post about how so and so person would beat him up in a real fight. I mean, I think Lo Lieh and Wong Yu (both RIP) would have been beaten by a whole parade of people who also worked in kung fu movies, but I'm not about to mention it every time I see their names in a thread.

I wouldn't necessarily take Wang Yu so lightly either, because otherwise, you might have another thing comin':

silver hermit

CWM is big in the middle east, india and africa. JWY had bigger backing at shaws but he stopped filming in the 80's its hard to say. something has to be said for longevity CWM continued filming up to now. i was at a screening of gallants and the crowd exploded for CWM. in much a similar way as they would for sammo. many people know master of the flying guillotine but i think just as much in my country if not more know superninjas. if there was a screening in my city i'm thinking superninjas would sell more tickets. shaw just had better distribution here so shaw based actors seem to have been bigger stars. but thats just my opinion.

i think on this board CWM would dominate JWY.:angel:

ChineseSausage

What are the best films made starring Jimmy Wang Yu? I have only seen a few. By the way I like more Wang Yu as an actor than Chan Wai Man

cooksandkungfoodle
For those who haven't seen this, enjoy:

I can't imagine Wang Yu holding up long in this fight :wink: But the question is about popularity... between Master of the Flying Guillotine and One Armed Swordsman, I think Wang Yu has CWM beat in that area.

that carter wong in the red?

What are the best films made starring Jimmy Wang Yu? I have only seen a few. By the way I like more Wang Yu as an actor than Chan Wai Man

Invincible Sword,Trail of the Broken Blade,The Assassin,Return of the One-Armed Swordsman,The Sword of Swords,The Golden Swallow,One Armed Boxer are all very good.

Not as enjoyable but still OK at least I think are The Chinese Boxer,The One-Armed Swordsman,The One-Armed Swordsman,Beach of the War Gods,Killer Meteors...

Some his movies set in modern day I did not like but forgot titles already:squigglemouth:

And then there is very good tournament movie which features yoga guy but I have forgotten title,been awfully long time since saw it:sad:

And last I have not seen Return of the Chinese Boxer but few sources have convinced me it`s better than original Chinese Boxer

ChineseSausage

Thank you Shawoholic. I have only seen The One-Armed Swordsman and The Chinese Boxer in bits and pieces. I only have some of his cheapy's (Screaming Tiger, Blood Of The Dragon).

No Master Of The Flying Guillotine as one of his best???

Here are some of Jimmy's best:

Beach of the War Gods

One Armed Boxer

Master of the Flying Guillotine

The Man From Hong Kong

Tiger and Crane Fists

Four Real Friends

King of Boxers

Blood of the Dragon

Golden Swallow

The Tattooed Dragon

Zatoichi & the One Armed Swordsman

The Iron Man

etc, etc,etc......:)

ChineseSausage

Hi Carl, you sure know your JWY films!

"Four Real Friends". I've heard some good remarks about this one, and MOTFG as well.

"Four Real Friends". I've heard some good remarks about this one, and MOTFG as well.

Watched this one a month or so back. Quite good. And yes, MOTFG is a must-have classic.

Of course, Jimmy made some clunkers as well - they all do.

As you can see Ed, I'm a big fan of Jimmy's!

Yes he has made some trash as well!

kungfusamurai

I'm one guy who cannot get into Jimmy Wang Yu. I used to like his movies as a kid, but later when I became a bit more finicky with my fight choreography, I just can't get past Wang Yu's style (or lack of it). And if it's all about the way he acts, there are plenty of guys who act tough like him, plus they look great fighting on screen. Chan Wai Man definitely is a lot more easy on the eyes for kung fu fighting and acting.

KFS

kungfusamurai
that carter wong in the red?

Yeah, that's Carter Wong in his corner. That looked like a fake fight. I mean, the guy he was fighting looked like they pulled him off the street just for that fight. He had no form or technique, and for a kickfighter, he had terrible looking kicks.

The fight in the clip below looks much more brutal. I'm talking about the second where where he gets a leg to the head.

Rg0wfyACzCQ

And the fight below between Jimmy Liu and Chin Kar Lok is even better! :D

FU9dMFqsCF8

KFS

Thank you Shawoholic. I have only seen The One-Armed Swordsman and The Chinese Boxer in bits and pieces. I only have some of his cheapy's (Screaming Tiger, Blood Of The Dragon).

No Master Of The Flying Guillotine as one of his best???

I have not seen it:cry:..it`s way too expensive in my shop and when order movies by mail there is plenty of other stuff also so been ignoring it so far:nerd:

Archived