Recommend me a good Kung Fu movie that involves weapons

Crossblades

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good modern Kung Fu movie that involves the use of weapons in fight scenes.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the best weapon fight in recent memory was in SPL, the alleyway fight between Donnie Yen and Wu Jing. Fatal Move had a weapon fight between Sammo Hung and Wu Jing, but unfortunately it wasn't all that good of a fight. both Dragon Tiger Gate and Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen feature nunchaku sequences, and Ong Bak 2 features the use of more weapons than I can count.

Good ones mark187

I'll Add

HERO-donnie yen vs jet li sword/ bladed spear

Once upon a time in china 2 yen vs jet li / staffs

and thats all i can think of at the moment lol

ShaOW!linDude

Ong Bak has some weapons fighting towards the end and it's just brutal.

Ong Bak 2 makes me salivate with the weapon display. Jaa just segues from one to the other in it. For me, it's one of my favorites.

You pose a good question because most recent MA movies don't feature a lot of weapons-based fighting. (And I'm sorry but it's hard for me to count wuxia type films. I find that to be very flashy, more show than substance. The exceptions {to some degree} being CT/HD and Hero.) I long for more stuff like the old days: Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu, Heroes of the East, Shaolin Temple, and almost any early stuff with Chan or Hung.

Drunken Master 2. A sweet but short Dao vs Spear between Jackie and Lau Kar Leung. Then Jackie took on an entire axe gang with bamboo pole.

Masked Avengers, Flag of Iron. Fine example of Venom mob goodness.

I like Duel to the Death a whole bunch (it fits the constraints of this forum). And I like 36 Chambers of Shaolin... who here bought a three section staff because of that movie? 'Fess up! The fight under the train in Drunken Master II stands out as well.

I watched something not too long ago and was really impressed by one of the actor's weapon play, but I can not think of who it was or what the movie was...

I think a few of these recommendations don't fit the criteria for "Modern Martial Arts Cinema" but I'm probably splitting hairs.

I think one that gets looked over is Blades of Fury. There is some amazing weapon work on show and despite the ridiculous under-cranking throughout, it's a hell of a film.

Tsui Hark's The Blade is a pretty good choice, too. After all, it is called "The Blade."

Duel to the Death is one of the best recommendations in this thread. Pretty much nothing but sword work.

Ong Bak 2 has some of the best modern weapon work I've seen.

Dragon From Russia has some pretty heavy blade use and a pretty nifty nunchaku fight, though I am aware it's a "love it or hate it" film.

Good recommendations, guys! Although I have some of these already(see list below)

Already seen

Fearless

Martial Arts of Shaolin

Iron Monkey (1993)

Wing Chun

Seven Swords

Dragon Tiger Gate

Drunken Master

Ong Bak

Hero

A Man Called Hero

The Duel

Stormriders

Legend of Zu

Legendary Weapons of China, Ong Bak 2, and Odd Couple sounds epic though. I may give them a look. What about the 2nd Stormrider movie I heard about? Is that any good?

Legendary Weapons of China and Odd Couple are both must sees, you can't go wrong with either of them.

Five Element Ninja - if you're looking for some looking for something a little more bizarre.

ShaOW!linDude

Dude...........if you want truly fantastic displays of weapons fights, you have to see this and it is not on your list: Heroes Of The East!

Dude...........if you want truly fantastic displays of weapons fights, you have to see this and it is not on your list: Heroes Of The East!

I just saw a trailer for this. It's definitely worth a look.

Is the odd couple even available on DVD apart from the out of print Hong Kong Legends release?

I have the Mei Ah DVD, it's fairly good and not that hard to find, or copy. :)

It's the first movie I thought of when I saw this thread. It has to be the best weapons movie ever; Sammo's spear work is unrivaled.

Archived