20,000 dollar action feature... BLOOD TIES

Kely McClung

Hi all!

Like a lot of you, I train hard in many martial arts, but never dreamed I'd actually get the chance to be in one... much less someday make one...

After training for over 30 years in a dozen martial arts, winning the international championship in Full Contact Stickfighting, fighting and training in Thailand, living and training in the Phillippines, I got the chance to see what filmmaking was all about.

My first film as an actor was working as stunt double for Michael Dudukoff and David Bradley, and playing the lead heavy on American Ninja IV, and I was hooked. I then trained for the movies and choreography with Karate legend Mike Stone; got to work mainly as a stuntman in films with people like Don Wilson, Olivier Gruner, and again, with David, as well as work as an actor on non action films. I also wrote and rewrote scripts, designed movie posters and helped edit several features while working in Hollywood, did hair and make up, lighting, camera work... anything I could do to learn more and be on set.

With nearly no money, my film partner (Vampire Diaries Robert Pralgo - Mayor Lockwood) and I bought a consumer video camera, hired a crew of one, and I convinced him to come with me to make a movie in Bangkok.

That small amount - for a movie budget - paid for our travel (I ended up making 4 trips), paid the Thai actors and stuntmen, built my editing system, and let me also add Washington DC, Miami, Atlanta, and mountains in Virginia to the shoot. I was able to bring in Erik Markus Schuetz - a German actor living in Thailand who had done stunts in Ong Bak and others... too bad he hasn't been able to do more - he's a really fine actor and one hell of a tough guy!

BLOOD TIES has won a few nice festival awards - "Action Film Of The Year" at the Action on Film International Film Festival, "Best Director," "Best International Film" and others... We were able to show it during the Bangkok Film market and are getting ready to screen in Germany.

BloodTiessml.jpg

Though I can't begin to compete doing the amazing stunts we all love (half my stuntmen were local taxi drivers!) and with multi million dollar budgets, I can still push for good stories, believable fights, and strong acting.

On my last trip to Thailand, I was able to sit down and show Prachya Pinkaew a big part of my movie... he ended up bringing in all of his studio heads and watching it back and for a couple of hours!

I just finished my second feature, KERBEROS, more violent, intense drama than action (think Resevoir Dogs - with a lot more action and it's already winning awards), and am getting ready to start production on ALTERED - a horror thriller, and may get the chance to direct my friend Michael Dudikoff in it...

We've had some nice reviews, but no one outside the festival circuit has seen it... we finally are starting distribution on Feb 15th...

Here's a bit amount MAKING A 20K FEATURE FILM that might make you laugh and give some insights into making a movie..

And here's the new BLOOD TIES trailer...

kJO1oWisjZ0

Contest, screenings, and more on FACEBOOK

respects to all - happy movie watching! :bigsmile:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a bad looking trailer, dude. I'd watch that.

Thanks... I know this is gonna be the most demanding board for movie action - so I'll take it!

I see you are in Birmingham... I'm not sure what the distributor is up to, but I know they are planning a premiere here in ATL... I'll make sure you get an invite for sure

thanks again - kely

20K? I envy you. I recall spending 10K on my first (and only) feature and only got 1/5 of it in the can.

I agree about what you said about "lighting." My biggest headache by far.

I'm in Macon, so I'll try to make it up for your premiere.

DeathFuMaster

Very awesome looking trailer. I love the rise of the indie action movies as of late! It also cool that the premiere is in Atlanta.

ShaOW!linDude
Thanks... I know this is gonna be the most demanding board for movie action - so I'll take it!

I see you are in Birmingham... I'm not sure what the distributor is up to, but I know they are planning a premiere here in ATL... I'll make sure you get an invite for sure

thanks again - kely

Dude, I truly appreciate that sooooo much but the skinny is I've been out of work for, like, 9 months. My wife, an RN, is working 2 jobs so I'm "Mr. Mom" to 5 & 3 yr. old girls. Never been to a premiere and would love to come but you might want to extend the "invite" to someone who will definitely be able to make it (teako170 might be your man).

Seriously, I do appreciate the offer. Thank you.

Kely McClung: Let me know when you put it out there for sale I'd support you, it looks really cool. One of my Partners at work did an Indie movie last year it was a short film about 40min. but it was pretty good. I'll post the name of the movie later, I cannot remember it off the top of my head.

I really appreciate the support guys! I've got a long way to go... but I've already made another film (Kerberos) which is just starting to get out there... it's a bit bigger but Blood Ties just has a 'cool factor' - and will always be my first movie!

Here's a link to an extended trailer of KERBEROS

I am guessing we'll have some kind of Atlanta premiere for BLOOD TIES early Feb...

ShaOW!linDude - please hit us up on our facebook page and stay in touch. We have friends in Birmingham who might be planning on coming over and if we can help arrange something for you, I'l do my best...

Thanks again to everyone... bigger and better movies to come... but I promise Blood Ties has some pretty cool suprises... :)

And here's an early review from Mediasaurs on Blood Ties...

respects

ShaOW!linDude

Way cool! Thanks, KM.

The 'Mediasaurs' review is really good. Makes me want to watch the movie even more.

Looks good Kely...I remember seeing you in American Ninja 4 and Kickboxing Academy. Glad to see you're still working. Definitely will check out Blood Ties :)

Looks good Kely...I remember seeing you in American Ninja 4 and Kickboxing Academy. Glad to see you're still working. Definitely will check out Blood Ties :)

Thanks so much! Wow am I getting old?

The difference is that even though we only had peanuts to make it with.. I was in control within our resources... I can't compete with the big budget stunts and fx, but I always wanted to see better stories and acting - that still had some kick ass action...

Hopefully, we deliver some of on all levels...

Archived