ROCKY V (1990) - Directors Cut/Screener Online

Karlos

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoyed R5 -- though many I've spoken with over the years did not.

For me, Balboa's journey came full circle and it was perfect closure.

Then... he had to make R6 and it ruined it for me :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Cool! An early work print. I would like to see this but no way can I watch a whole movie in this quality and online. Gotta lay down in bed and watch it otherwise I'm not comfortable. :bigsmile:

I will hunt for a file of this. :bigsmile:

I honestly love R5, it's probably my favorite of the whole series.

It seems to be unloved because it's such a come down, vibe wise, from the bombastic part 4 - ironically, this is part of why I love it!!

Even Stallone has pretty much disowned it.

Guest Markgway

I have no problem with Rocky V. I accepted that it was a different kind of movie from Parts III and IV. An attempt to revisit the gritty street quality of the original. It's not perfect but it's a long way from the turkey many critics (and eventually Stallone himself) would have you believe. I think I actually prefer it to the acclaimed Rocky Balboa. I've never understood the vitriol poured on this film and it's sad that Stallone turned against it given he was more than happy to take the sizeable cheque he got for writing and starring in it. I'd have more respect for him if he came out and defended the movie.

ShaOW!linDude

I've always liked Rocky 5. That movie has one of the best street fight/alley brawls committed to film.

3 notes of interest about Tommy Morrison for those who may not know:

1) He was considered boxing profession's the Great White Hope and once broke both his hands on an opponent.

2) He's a distant relative of The Duke (John Wayne) hence his nickname.

3) Shortly after this movie he contracted HIV. Gotta watch those boxing groupies, man.

I really enjoyed R5 -- though many I've spoken with over the years did not.

For me, Balboa's journey came full circle and it was perfect closure.

This sums it up perfectly. V is every bit as entertaining as IV is. Paulie's drunkenness comes full circle in this one too.

VI was totally pointless and unnecessary.

I've always liked Rocky 5. That movie has one of the best street fight/alley brawls committed to film.

"my rings outside"

ShaOW!linDude
That ended up being a misdiagnosis which is very messed up. He is healthy though, and last I heard he was trying to get into MMA.

Really? I didn't know that. Well, I'm glad that's the case. He was a fantastic boxer IMO. I think he'd make for a good opponent in MMA.

And make believe --- I forgot about that line. I loved that line in the movie.

Guest WuxiaFan
I really enjoyed R5 -- though many I've spoken with over the years did not. For me, Balboa's journey came full circle and it was perfect closure.

I always thought Stallone should have ended it after ROCKY III. To me, that was perfect closure. R4 - 6 ruined it for me. :ooh:

I always thought Stallone should have ended it after ROCKY III. To me, that was perfect closure. R4 - 6 ruined it for me. :ooh:

You're right, R1-3 would've made an excellent trilogy. R4 was too short IMO. Best part was training in Russia. Glad they made R5 to compensate for R4's shortcomings but then R6 killed it for me. Maybe they can do a prequel (R7) and fix it again -- haha.

Guest Markgway

Rocky III is my favourite - a great blend of drama, training sequences and boxing action.

Rocky IV all but dropped the drama and plays like a 90m MTV video - but damn it's sooo entertaining.

I must say I love all the Rocky movies. Rocky 4 still makes me want to get out and work out everytime he starts training!! But then again Rocky 2 may be my favorite. Rocky 3 was fantastic with how Rocky had to deal with his fear and overcome a great loss. I know I know everyone has seen it but on the chance someone hasn't don't want to ruin it!! :tongue:

In order: Rocky 3, 2, 1, 6, 5, 4

I actually like 6, can't believe not a lot of you do. I also think 4 was out of place, and with the love I have for Dolph Lundren's films, I didn't like his character at all. Maybe it is because he followed Clubber Lang, but he just seemed like a pointless opponent. The whole movie seems out of place, I guess it is a decent movie, but I think it was the worst of the series.

Also, I loved the final fight of 5.

Oh, so now ROCKY BALBOA is a bad movie? Fuck that noise.

I'll take ROCKY BALBOA over ROCKY V any day. Hated that film. Even more sitcom-ish than ROCKY IV. The whole Rocky-ignores-his-son was like a goddamn episode of THE LOVE BOAT. "Hey that's great son, now wait while I work with Tommy over here." Where were Isaac, Gopher and Doc to show Rock that he was ignoring his son? Oh, that's right, Adrian gave him the big ass-chewing, for the fourth film in a row.

And that street brawl rivals the finale of KARATE KID 3 as the worst fight ever committed to celluloid. Couldn't tell what was going on at all. Makes the finale in LETHAL WEAPON look comprehensible.

And I dare you to listen to the songs on that soundtrack for longer than 30 seconds. Aural strychnine.

Chinatown Kid

I agree, I thought Rocky Balboa was better than 4 and 5. This is the order of the series from best to worst overall movie imo:

Rocky

Rocky 3(although this one has the best fight scenes of the series)

Rocky 2

Rocky Balboa

Rocky 4

Rocky 5

froffeecoffee

I'll take ROCKY BALBOA over ROCKY V any day. Hated that film. Even more sitcom-ish than ROCKY IV. The whole Rocky-ignores-his-son was like a goddamn episode of THE LOVE BOAT. "Hey that's great son, now wait while I work with Tommy over here." Where were Isaac, Gopher and Doc to show Rock that he was ignoring his son? Oh, that's right, Adrian gave him the big ass-chewing, for the fourth film in a row.

And that street brawl rivals the finale of KARATE KID 3 as the worst fight ever committed to celluloid. Couldn't tell what was going on at all. Makes the finale in LETHAL WEAPON look comprehensible.

And I dare you to listen to the songs on that soundtrack for longer than 30 seconds. Aural strychnine.

Finally, a voice of reason. I hated V. Went in expecting Rocky and Tommy to settle it in the ring, but instead get a brawl that felt more like a, "let's end this movie now."

I agree, I thought Rocky Balboa was better than 4 and 5.

Rocky Balboa gave Rocky the send off he deserved.

Chinatown Kid

Rocky Balboa stirred up the sentimental feelings and that's what made it better than 4 and 5 to me, those seemed more artifical. But hell, everybody doesn't have the same taste so it's all good. :nerd:

Jesse Smooth

Wow, that's one way to put it...

Guest Markgway

3> 4> 1> 5> 2> 6

That might be my order of preference... but it seems to change everytime I watch them... lol

I'm not saying that 4 is a better film than 1 just that it's more entertaining.

My problem with 6 is that it was a disappointment (after the critical hype).

There just didn't seem to be any real point. Rocky V - like it or not - brought the series full circle.

I'm not sure we needed to go back and retread old ground - and especially not with such a weak setup:

A video game reckons Rocky is a better boxer than a current champ so he challanges him - a man pushing 60?

And he accepts?

And this is allowed?

What does it prove?

We know in his prime Rocky would kick this mofo's ass.

His beating of the gigantic piece of iron Dolph Lundgren was the ring fight to end all ring fights.

I love Rocky 4 and 6, I have to give V another viewing but recall not liking the Timmy Gunn angle all that well.

3> 4> 1> 5> 2> 6

That might be my order of preference... but it seems to change everytime I watch them... lol

I'm not saying that 4 is a better film than 1 just that it's more entertaining.

My problem with 6 is that it was a disappointment (after the critical hype).

There just didn't seem to be any real point. Rocky V - like it or not - brought the series full circle.

I'm not sure we needed to go back and retread old ground - and especially not with such a weak setup:

A video game reckons Rocky is a better boxer than a current champ so he challanges him - a man pushing 60?

And he accepts?

And this is allowed?

What does it prove?

We know in his prime Rocky would kick this mofo's ass.

His beating of the gigantic piece of iron Dolph Lundgren was the ring fight to end all ring fights.

Do you follow boxing? Boxing fanatics live for this crazy, over analysis of every fighter's ability. Could Sugar Ray Robinson beat Tyson? Could Ali beat Lennox Lewis? Rocky Marciano and Ali even participated in a bizarre, "computer designed" simulated fight in the 60s.

As DS noted, Foreman's 90s career was also a big influence. We laughed about his age, but there are stories out there in boxing lore that Tyson was ducking him! I followed the sport at the time and I believe it.

BBC1 showed them back to back a while back every consecutive week. I think that was the first time I saw the original film. Was pretty blown away by it and thought it was a great movie.

The 2nd tried to continue in the same vein and was still pretty good but didn't quite have the grittiness and sincerity of the 1st but still good.

I though the 3rd film was where it started to change tone, Sly now has this super ripped 80's muscle physique and has a celebrity wrestling/boxing bout with Hulk Hogan but the training scenes are awesome and liked the Rocky/Apollo friendship and death of Mickey, still a great film but different tone to the original.

The 4th film, one of my favourites as a kid, the one with the best ring fight and training montages, the one you would get hyped up to see.. when watched that time just didn't do it for me like it used to. It just seemed a bit superficial compared with the others. Apollo dies and that's pretty shit and Rocky gets mad and trains to whoop his ass. Pretty cool but didn't have much else, just seemed a bit superficial and one dimensional compared to the other films. Product of the 80's? Of course it's still fun and Ivan Drago has to rank as the classic Rocky opponent for me.

I liked 5, it was an attempt to return it back to the 1st films tone. Didn't understand all the hate it recieved and thought Mickey's return hit the right spots, no Rocky 1 or 2 though.

Finally Rocky Balboa, saw this at the cinema and it was one of the best experiences I've had at one. In the UK it's really rare for people to get psyched up and loud whilst watching a film but literally the whole place was buzzing, people were chanting 'Rocky! Rocky! Rocky!' and cheering and whistling when Rocky was onscreen putting punk kids on their place, cracking jokes, training or fighting his last fight, it was pretty amazing. Maybe that added to my enjoyment but I left the place on a real high. Agree with Markgway about a slightly flaky premise with the computer simulation and all but I like its dramatic tone "It's not about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep on moving forward!" I like that.

Archived