Early Golden Harvest titles: Quick opinions please!

mpm74

Which of these are worth getting?

Big Boss Of Shanghai

The Challenger

The Chase

Chinatown Capers

The Fast Sword

The Himalayan

The Invincible Sword

Lady Whirlwind

The Tattooed Dragon

Slaughter In San Francisco (any difference between the U.S. version?)

The Lady Killer (with Bruce Lee’s brother in the lead)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bruce lee's brother in the lead? robert lee?

himalayan was good from what i remember. bl the legend clip of the pagoda before the outtakes was from that movie.

Morgoth Bauglir

Big Boss of Shanghai and The Challenger are good but they aren’t Golden Harvest. The Himalayan is ok but I wouldn't rewatch it.

None of them are all that great. The Himilayan is probably the best of them and that one is just pretty good. Depends how deep you want your collection to go.

bruce lee's brother in the lead? robert lee?

Yes. This one is a comedy (I think), so it's not an action movie. He did about three films in the 70's.

Big Boss of Shanghai and The Challenger are good but they aren’t Golden Harvest. The Himalayan is ok but I wouldn't rewatch it.

Thanks. I guess I just assumed they were, since they were with the Joy Sales silver label.

None of them are all that great. The Himilayan is probably the best of them and that one is just pretty good. Depends how deep you want your collection to go.

I watch them more for historic purposes. Sometimes I get more entertainment value from sucky movies with lots of trivia than with all-round good movies. I'm strange like that. =D

I want to get a hold of a lot of these before they go OOP.

Surprised by the lukewarm reaction, because I consider the Himalayan and the Chase as must-see movies. The Himalayan has the great Tibetan setting, with Chen Sing as possibly one of the most vile villains in kf movie history, and Angela Mao and Tao Liang both coming coming correct with the kicks. Also factor in Sammo Hung in a supporting role, unique Tibetan Buddhist training sequences, and a young Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, and Corey Yuen as part of the nameless extras that make up Chen Sing's goons, and you have an A-Level production all around.

Watch the Chase to see James Tien in what I consider his finest role, and for a nice meshing of more traditional chinese swordplay choreography with japanese techniques. It's also a Wong Tin Lam flick, so have no qualms about the plot there.

I also just noticed Fast Sword on the list.. you have to see that one too. Really, there's lots of good films on that list (not even counting the non-Golden Harvest productions like The Challenger) that I'd just pass on the Robert Lee flick and Slaughter in San Francisco.

Thanks. Himalayan is on its way.

I've come to the conclusion that even though some of these movies may suck, there's always something trivial about them that's worth watching.

The Himalayan is great, Linn used to call that his favorite GH title. Lady W. is with Angela Mao, which makes it essential viewing in my books. The Fast Sword is a good little flick. Invincible Sword is with Wang Yu, and is cool. Slaughter is a not so hot, and VCD only, I think.

I've come to the conclusion that even though some of these movies may suck, there's always something trivial about them that's worth watching.

I feel the same!! DVD collection is way out of hand.

Guest Markgway

These are worth watching...

Big Boss Of Shanghai

The Challenger

The Chase

The Himalayan

The Invincible Sword

Not so keen on these...

Chinatown Capers

Lady Whirlwind

The Tattooed Dragon

Slaughter In San Francisco

Never seen...

The Lady Killer

Have seen but can't remember off hand...

The Fast Sword

The Fast Sword is with the lead from Touch of Zen & has a very Spaghetti Western feel to it. It was also released in Germany on a nice DVD. It's not a terribly well known film, it seems, but it has a dedicated following. Chinatown Capers is kinda sorta sequel to Backalley Princess. If you liked the one, you'll find the other okay.

Guest Markgway
The Fast Sword is with the lead from Touch of Zen & has a very Spaghetti Western feel to it. It was also released in Germany on a nice DVD. It's not a terribly well known film, it seems, but it has a dedicated following. Chinatown Capers is kinda sorta sequel to Backalley Princess. If you liked the one, you'll find the other okay.

I remember Chang I was in The Fast Sword and that it was a Golden Harvest pick up made by an indie company. I'd have to dig out my review to see what my opinion was or what the story was about.

Chinese Enforcers isn't a patch on Back Alley Princess, so unless your a die-hard Polly fan I wouldn't rush to buy.

I remember Chang I was in The Fast Sword and that it was a Golden Harvest pick up made by an indie company. I'd have to dig out my review to see what my opinion was or what the story was about.

Where can I read your reviews anyways?

Archived