Do you think that Wu Jing("SPL"), instead of Jay, should've played Kato in "G Hrnet"?

wackiechan

Do you think that Wu Jing, of "SPL" and "Legendary Assassin", should've played Kato in the upcoming "The Green Hornet" movie, instead of having Jay Chou play Kato? Or do you think that Wu Jing would've been the wrong choice to play that character, because of any particular reason?

If it's true that Jay is more known for being a singer, then does that bother you, because maybe a HK kung fu actor would be a better choice?

If you think Wu Jing would be the wrong actor to play that character, then do you have any suggestions for any other actor, especially if it's a HK kung fu actor? Maybe Tze Miu(Jet Li's co-star in "My Father Is a Hero") or the young kung fu actor from "Dragon From Shaolin" if "DFS" had an actor like that?

Here are some trailers and other info about "The Green Hornet" movie, including the official website:

http://www.greenhornetmovie.com/?hs308=GRN6186

http://mightypekingmansbar.yuku.com/topic/4071/t/Green-Hornet.html

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, originally Stephen Chow was to have played Kato and direct the movie as well. However, he had "creative problems" with Sony and left. They had a worldwide search. Korean actor Kwon Sang-Woo (Volcano High) confirmed he auditioned for the role of Kato, but Jay, who did martial arts in the short film DOUBLE BLADE and CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER (weapons work), ultimate got the role.

ShaOW!linDude

I've stated my qualms with Chou having this role in another thread and the fact that this irks me to no end. Would I prefer having any martially trained actor as Kato as opposed to another pop-star trying to further an acting career? My answer is a definitive yes!

However, as I was pleased with Rain's turn in NINJA ASSASSIN, will I (for the moment) give Jay Chou (whom I have not seen in either movie AlbertV mentioned) a chance in the role of Kato? Again my answer is a definitive yes.

But it's hard to do when people keep reminding me that Chou is playing Kato!:tinysmile_angry2_t::cry::tongue:

i dont know if Wu Jing can even speak english but i would have prefered him just because he needs something of a break like that....

Jay Chou did decent in True Legend so we will c

Of course we would prefer Wu Jing because he's proven himself as a high-level screen-fighter, but Jay Chou was a more obvious choice for American producers because of his big-screen success and pop career. Even in Asia, Jay Chou would be the more appealing choice. As others have also mentioned, Jay Chou held his own during the fight sequences in True Legend, so there could have been far worse choices.

To tell the truth, I lost all interest in this project once Stephen Chow left, and Hollywood usually screws up the editing for martial arts choreography,so any good martial arts in this movie is icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

DeathFuMaster

Wu Jing would have been cool, but so woud Jet Li or Stephen Chow. Although I think it would have also been cool if they got a recent Bruceploitation Actor to do it.

ShaOW!linDude
Wu Jing would be good but I wish it was Vincent Zhao playing Kato.

I don't think I ever thought of him. I could see that. He would be great!!!

I think Jet Li would be to old for this part, his age is showing, I think they went with the right choice in a younger actor. Sure we would prefer a real M.A. over a singer, but he may surprise us.

Chou did okay in TREASURE HUNTER and some wire work in KUNG FU DUNK. kato is wearing a mask, so doubling should be no problem. Chin kar Lok anyone (he did it in Lam Ching Ying's GREEN HORNET film).

I've already raised this point post # 86... http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6086&page=3

Even Chow would have been a bad choice, if he were going for laughs.

There is a bit of history to Lee's portrayal of Kato, bringing the character, originally Japanese, into a modern world for Asians. Lee's Kato was given equal ground with (Van Williams') Britt Reed... Even though he was employed as his servant-there was never any subservient qualities in Lee's approach to playing him and he fought for that with FOX Studios. Whenever he addressed Reed he was like "yes boss...", but he listened in on "the bosses'" meetings and conversations, made suggestions that he followed, sat on his desk!, arms folded... None of which minority servants from those days did. And he kicked major ass. When the fan mail rolled in, it was primarily for Bruce Lee-not Van Williams, whom the studio thought they'd turn into the next heartthrob. So, after 30 episodes and Lee's popularity, FOX canceled the show, Lee went on to international stardom, and Van Williams became trivia.

The fact of the matter is; they absolutely, positively, undoubtedly, don't want an Asian actor/action star, to outshine their boy, Chubsy-Wubsy-Seth Rogen, (a joke with-in a joke) WTF?! Green Hornet?! Bottom Line. It's the same, age-old story that even Bruce had to contend with over 40yrs ago. The machine won't change. Ever.

And, you can quote me on that.

:nerd:

The fact of the matter is; they absolutely, positively, undoubtedly, don't want an Asian actor/action star, to outshine their boy, Chubsy-Wubsy-Seth Rogen, (a joke with-in a joke) WTF?! Green Hornet?! Bottom Line. It's the same, age-old story that even Bruce had to contend with over 40yrs ago. The machine won't change. Ever.

:nerd:

It will when China eventually takes over the US's place as the Major nation. Unfortunetely it'll still be run by money so things will only change but by China's agenda.

Archived