Shaw Brothers films that reference Shaw Brothers

panku

I've seen a few non martial arts SB films recently and noticed quite a few that made mention of Shaw Brothers either visually or in the dialogue. I guess this was partly fun, partly free advertising but I was wondering if this a regular feature in lots of "modern" day SB films or just a few. Here are the ones I've seen that had some mention. Are there others?

Singing Thief (1969) There is a chase through Shaws sets.

Ghost Eyes (1974) References the main theme from the Shaw film Love Without End.

Killer Snakes (1975) There's a scene at a Shaw Brothers theatre, Illicit Desire is playing.

The Criminals (1976) Lo Lieh works as an extra.

Gambler's Delight (1981) A girl mentions titles of films during a phone call.

Hex After Hex (1982) Lo Meng goes for stunt work.

• Like 1

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (1983) - Guy comes rushing out the street ripping his suit off, revealing a light blue SB shirt, superman style.

Oh gawd, I want a tee like that.

• Like 1

"Susanna." Li Ching goes on a movie date and its a SB film.

You don't see the actual film but you hear the trumpet blast for the Shaw intro.

I also want to say "Duel Of Fists." Wasn't there a SB poster/billboard somewhere in here? Might be wrong.

• Like 1

"Susanna." Li Ching goes on a movie date and its a SB film.

You don't see the actual film but you hear the trumpet blast for the Shaw intro.

Notably, the Shaw fanfare runs longer here than the one most of us are accustomed to. Anyone know if this version was made lengthy for the timing of the scene or an actual (rarely heard) earlier version of the intro?:ooh:
  • Like 1

In Chinatown Kid, as Fu Sheng is working the orange juice stand with his grandfather, the wall behind them is plastered with Shaw movie posters.

post-1078-144191888701_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I just saw:

Angel Strikes Again (1968) The main character, Angel, has a meeting in a Shaw Theater that is showing Susanna:

zIZTjQS.png

pqTcKVk.png

Then when she is leaving there is an ad for the Ivy Ling Po film Forever and Ever (1968)

CaMtRoo.png

Susanna was showing in mid October 1967 and Forever and Ever was to show in January 1968. Angel Strikes Again came out in May 1968.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I must be getting old, I can't believe this thread is almost 4 years old.

• Like 2

just looked at my notes and another one I saw was

Passing Flickers (1982) which the entire movie is a behind the scenes look at Shaw Brothers with interviews of some of the directors, a great look at the wardrobe department and storage rooms among other things. Shaolin Prince is shown on a marquee.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the movie where the bad guys visit the movie set of a Yueh Hua movie (Period piece) - I think they are bothering his real life wife or something - I think It is one of the Criminals or a modern day crime story.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Does anyone know the movie where the bad guys visit the movie set of a Yueh Hua movie (Period piece) - I think they are bothering his real life wife or something - I think It is one of the Criminals or a modern day crime story.

Thanks!

You are right, that is the third segment from The Criminals (1976).

• Like 1

You are right' date=' that is the third segment from The Criminals (1976).[/quote']

Excellent. I'm gonna take another look at that today. thank you!

• Like 1

Cognoscente

It's a shame that Shaw didn't make The Chinese Stuntman or a film like it because the final fight scene on a film set would have been one big meta meltdown.

• Like 3