Dragon Tiger Gate (2006)

Guest Sleepman

doug maverick

donnie lied to us on this one. i remeber reading an interview where he said they were going for a sin city feel. imagaine sin city but a kung fu film with that same noirish style fgucking awesome. what happened to that donnie you would have had a better flick. this flick goes to the bottom of my favorite donnie films. cause although the melkodrama was corny the fights were fucking hot.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone's interested, Tai Seng is releasing Dragon Tiger Gate on HDDVD February 25th I believe. I ordered it from Amazon. Never seen it, but if it does well, hopefully we'll get more HDDVD releases from them...

doug maverick

if they do a part two they should get rid of shawn yue he's useless. get rid of the melo drama shit thats also useless and just stick to kicking ass.

Just curious as to why people find this movie so bad?

I really liked it. I thought the action was really cool, and although there was a lot of wires it really suited the production. Great handwork from Donnie Yen throughout (especially in the finale) and really nice cinematography and lighting all the way through the film.

Story? Well, it's based on a comic book, and anyone who watches HK action movies for the storyline needs a head examination anyway!

So anyway why all the hate? For some reason DTG doesn't just bring out opinions like "It was okay but could have been better" or "it wasn't really for me". Instead it seems to get people foaming at the mouth calling it the biggest pile of cows dung ever produced etc. I just don't get it.

I didn't really like the movie the first time but it has since grown on me. Despite the lack of background on some particular characters (Shibumi, Ma Kun and Master Wong) and somewhat jumpy pacing, it's a really entertaining movie overall and complemented by the great sets, beautiful cinematography/lighting plus economical and attractive use of CG. Donnie's action choreography - though not up there with Flash Point and SPL - ranks among his most creative works to date imo, thanks to the intricately appropriate camerawork/editing, varied display of styles in the choreography and smart use of wirework. The second restaurant fight and the stadium fight are personal favorites as is the Master Wong/Shibumi fight.

I have to admit, the first time I saw it, after seeing it, I was like WTH? Then I watched it a few more times, and I have to admit, I was impressed with the skills of Nicholas Tse and Shawn Yue. Even using some wirework for the more comic book-ish stunts, Tse proved to be quite the superkicker and Shawn Yue just rocked those nunchakus.

I was glad to see these two team up again in Invisible Target where they proved to be impressive again. Get a third film with these two together again and I'm in.

Morgoth Bauglir
it seems to get people foaming at the mouth calling it the biggest pile of cows dung ever produced etc.

I've never seen someone say that.

"It was okay but could have been better" or "it wasn't really for me".

I agree with this. It had its moments (the action scenes with Donnie Yen) but I would never put it in my DVD player a second time.

I've always really liked this film, I have to say.

It's not perfect by any means - the final fight gives Turbo and Tiger almost nothing to do before Donnie steps in for a very one-sided confrontation, there's some awful sentimentality (in a HK film? Surely not!!) and the Tony Wong cameo was interminable.

BUT, those flaws aside, I dig it - the first fight in the restaurant is brilliantly well done - in fact, the other fights in the film suffer because of it.

Now, where's the sequel?! :tongue:

ShaOW!linDude
I've always really liked this film, I have to say.

It's not perfect by any means - the final fight gives Turbo and Tiger almost nothing to do before Donnie steps in for a very one-sided confrontation, there's some awful sentimentality (in a HK film? Surely not!!) and the Tony Wong cameo was interminable.

BUT, those flaws aside, I dig it - the first fight in the restaurant is brilliantly well done - in fact, the other fights in the film suffer because of it.

Now, where's the sequel?! :tongue:

I second everything you say, K.

Well, maybe except for the 3rd statement. It's really good and sets the standard for the rest of the film. And Tse is predominantly a kicker in this and I love a kicker! But the other fights have their own flavor and I find them tasty.

I,too, get very quickly bored with angsty, over-sentimentality. (Oh, just suck on a idling car muffler already!)

And, yeah, about that sequel..........

(Now someone will probably start a "Why all the love for DTG?" thread.)

Okay, the wigs were OTT, but that's just in keeping with the whole style of the comic book characters!

The intro of Donnie Yens' character was superb. There's some majorly cool stuff in this film. Dragonsword, it's worth watching. You may hate it in the end, but then you may end up loving it. I usually hate too much wirework. I love the old school stuff, but I love the way that Donnie is now doing choreography. The thing to remember about DTG is that it is comic book stuff and as such has to work to the original concept. Just like Spiderman or Batman.

2-3 decent fights in movie is nowhere enough

Come, be fair! Even Ip Man 2 only had 2-3 okay fights. The opening fights were really short so don't really count IMO. The market fight was good, but looking at it closely is mainly messing about with props rather than fighting. The fight against Sammo on the table was okay, but ultimately ruined with silliness. The end fight would have been great if not for the over acting of Darren.

In fact I can't think of a single recent film that has more than 3 decent fights. It seems to be the average. Police Story is a prime example. There's only really two proper fight scenes in that one. Pedicab Driver, again only 2-3 stand out lengthy fights. I think you need to go back to the 70's to find films with constant awesome fights. But the trade off is rubbish production value.

Reel Power Stunts
In fact I can't think of a single recent film that has more than 3 decent fights. It seems to be the average. Police Story is a prime example. There's only really two proper fight scenes in that one. Pedicab Driver, again only 2-3 stand out lengthy fights. I think you need to go back to the 70's to find films with constant awesome fights. But the trade off is rubbish production value.

Although I'm sure you've seen it (many times?) Simon, Donnie fans who need regular fight fixes in their films can always check out "In the Line of Duty 4". That film never seemed to be more than 10 minutes away from a (decent) scrap!

Even Ip Man 2 only had 2-3 okay fights.

To each his own. I like all the action (even the boxing matches) in the movie so for me it's one of the best MA action movies in recent years with more than 3 good fights.

Police Story and Pedicab Driver are from the 80s so I wouldn't count them as recent efforts. Besides, both are parts of a bunch of movies produced during that era contrary to your claim. The 80s actually creamed lots of movies with more than 3 good fights from either Jackie, Sammo, Biao, Jet, Donnie and many more (the B-action guys).

Wharever but time between action did go forward like snail and taking it to 2nd hand store was better than keep in collection.

I wouldn't say I hate Dragon Tiger Gate but I really didn't think a lot of it. There was definitely not enough quality action to entertain me personally which is the main reason to watch a film like this. Even after all of this time I can't find any motivation to watch it again and imagine it's going to be quite some time before I finally do

As has been mentioned those wigs were terrible but I suspect their use was to make it easier to double them.

After seeing the previews I had no desire to watch this movie. I might check it out someday but I'm in no hurry.

If that someday never comes you will be all the better for it. Bloody awful movie it is.

Archived