Dragon Tiger Gate (2006)

Guest Sleepman

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Simon Wyndham
pulls a character from nowhere

Which was actually a cameo by the guy who did the original comics.

The film was great. It based on a comic book. It is rather hilarious when people are complaining about the comicbookness of the films styling as a result.

Anyone who hasn't seen this film, ignore the naysayers.

Guest The Running Man
Which was actually a cameo by the guy who did the original comics.

Yeah....and?

How does that improve the fact that the character he plays is introduced totally out of nowhere and totally for convenience of the film which ultimately means nothing in the end since the character get whooped real nice?

The film was great. It based on a comic book. It is rather hilarious when people are complaining about the comicbookness of the films styling as a result.

Bad characterization, poor development, and weak structure are not requisites of comic books. Have you ever read comic books? Comic books wouldn't have survived so long if all of them suffered from those things.

And on the film front, defending those "flaws" as if it's on purpose is quite naive. Spiderman 2 was a movie that was based on a comic book and it is far better than this movie because it didn't have any of those flaws present in this movie.

A bad movie is a bad movie.

If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a poor adaptation of the comic because that's what it feels like. And if it is a 110% perfect adaptation of it, then I guess the comic sucked as well.

Guest Simon Wyndham
How does that improve the fact that the character he plays is introduced totally out of nowhere and totally for convenience of the film

Why is any character in any film there if not for the convenience of the film? She was told to take the characters there if anything happened to them.

A bad movie is a bad movie.

Of which this isn't.

Its pure popcorn entertainment. I've spent most of my HK film watching career watching films from the mid-70's - mid-80's. Nearly all of them without exception suffer from shitty scripts, bad acting, and extremely poor production value. Yet people enjoyed them to the hilt.

DTG is a hark back to those films, but with brilliant cinematography and lighting, and very high production value.

While I liked the Spiderman films, and to a lesser degree the latest Superman film, I didn't find any of them anywhere near as entertaining as DTG.

Have you ever read comic books?

Yes. I find them silly and overrated and I find the stories just as shallow as a popcorn movie.

Guest The Running Man
Why is any character in any film there if not for the convenience of the film? She was told to take the characters there if anything happened to them.

Who was never mentioned anywhere in the film before and then suddenly this character exists that can fix her problem just like that. That's something purely for convenience of the film and not good storytelling.

Its pure popcorn entertainment.

Popcorn entertainment does not equal bad storytelling and poor character development.

I've spent most of my HK film watching career watching films from the mid-70's - mid-80's. Nearly all of them without exception suffer from shitty scripts, bad acting, and extremely poor production value. Yet people enjoyed them to the hilt.

I certainly take a stand on you calling ALL of HK films bad movies like you just did and wouldn't be the only one that would take offense. People enjoyed them because they were good movies...not cause they were bad.

If you see ALL of mid 70s and 80s HK films as bad then that's your problem and it seems you don't really know a good movie then.

DTG is a hark back to those films, but with brilliant cinematography and lighting, and very high production value.

It's only a hark to bad movies...not ALL of 70s and 80s HK cinema which you just called bad.

While I liked the Spiderman films, and to a lesser degree the latest Superman film, I didn't find any of them anywhere near as entertaining as DTG

Alright...so you like bad movies. :b

Yes. I find them silly and overrated and I find the stories just as shallow as a popcorn movie.

That statement says that you obviously have not really read any comics to a real degree (certainly none of the good ones).

Guest Liu chung liang

this thread is going to hit 100 soon lol.

right, nothing to rave about. nice to hear everyone's thoughts on the film. i still say it sucks. i give it a 2 1/2 or 3 out of 5, only because if you're a fan of the comic, and you think that they did a some what decent job then ok.

don't compare DTG to the spiderman movies, because it's not even a good enough movie to equal to this hollywood successful film. i really like spiderman 2, and in my opinion it's hell of a lot better than the gate lol.

Guest MacLeod613

I didn't have my hopes set too high, given the mixed reviews I read, but I rather enjoyed the movie. The fights weren't anything special, but still fun. Worth the money for the DVD.

Guest dyenboy

k..finally saw this movie..and dun care wa anyone thinks..i liked this movie..over the week i had off..i watched it three times so far..

yea..there were some parts are kinda lame...but didn't care..the movie is purely a popcorn movie..i was entertained the whole time..

probably gona watch it more..

Guest Beat TG

the finale is the best part in the whole movie, lots of great GCI destruction and some neat shots of great choreography.

The movie script is so-so, but I liked the fight scenes on the baseball field and in the end with Donnie Yen. :D

I'll watch those scenes again and again!

Oh, and the hair? The style was cute and youthful looking. :b Besides, Donnie was supposed to resemble a character from a comic book, so I think that he looked great for the role!

Guest The Running Man
the finale is the best part in the whole movie, lots of great GCI destruction and some neat shots of great choreography.

Man I need to watch the movie again.

I need to watch that "GCI destruction" that I missed the first time around. :P

that is terrible movie,kept me yawning more than about anything I have seen lately...before final only good scene is where shibumi kills teacher of tiger...final has some nice action&special effects.But when Dragon Wong shows up you are expecting good duel but no,he takes care of shibumi in almost world record time.

I took it to 2nd hand shop without bothering to check extras on disc#2:rolleyes:

a good mix if wires, special effects and ground-based choreo is always nice (didn't mind Donnie beating crap outta the villain... that is until they went diving underground!;)).

I finally got around to seeing this last week. Despite all the negativity surrounding it I was sure I'd love it. I was very wrong. I don't hate it but, wow, it's pretty annoyingly boring in places. Even the fights bored me in places.

The Running Man
apart from Meyer's commentary (is it even good?), how does it compare to the HK disc?

Yeah it's very good. Anamorphic, DD 5.1 and DTS Cantonese tracks and a Mandarin DD 5.1 track. Biggest deal about the release is that they retranslated and improved all the English subtitles for the film and extras.

Plus, it includes a pretty well done English dub.

but the script wasn't.

I could say that about every single action film ever made. Particularly with regard to 70's HK films! ;-)

Archived