Dragon Tiger Gate (2006)

Guest Sleepman

Guest JinMode
I thought Shawn Yee was pretty good, Donnie went out of his way to downgrade him self as usual

Shawn didn't much beside using his nunchucks which was lame. Nic, however, impressed me in the first fight (I'm sure it was a double most of the time).

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest W Hong

I know that it's been about four weeks since its opening date in H.K., but did "Dragon Tiger Gate" turn out to be a box office hit there? And do you know what is its box office total in H.K., and if it's still showing there?

Guest punt44

I saw it in china on the big screen. I thought it was a solid film. I recommend it. Yeah, but thank god they gave Shawn LIu a weapon...because I can't imagine him actually doing any martial arts.

I heard this is going to be released with three different versions (Standard, Collector's and Limited Edition).

No. of Disc: 2

Audio Features:

# Cantonese Dolby Digital 6.1 EX, dts ES

# Mandarin Dolby Digital 5.1 EX

Subtitles: Chinese, English

Special Feature:

Theatrical Trailer

Deleted Scenes

TV Spot

Photo Gallery

~ On the set (Pre-production, shooting diaries, Making-of)

~ Star Interviews

~ Cannes Night & Hong Kong Gala

Color: Color

Video System: NTSC

Rating: IIB

Guest Liu chung liang

Saw it. Wouldn't watch it again. |I I almost fell asleep on the flashback scenes.

The movie didn't stink up that much, the end fight was ok. I like how they ended it closing the comic book, just to remind the viewers that it's fictional etc. etc.

The main story is simple, it goes like... 2 brothers Dragon (Yen) & Tiger (Tse) defending their school Dragon Tiger Gate, along with a Turbo (Yue), who wants to join the academy.

Who is the master of the DTG school? a very old Yuen Wah. We get some side stories, and one of them is a crappy love story. I say it's more like a drama, because it doesn't play out like a love story. We see Donnie with a bad actress killing time, and then it flashes back to them when they were kids. This is where you start to find the film more lame. We see Donnie as this kid. Right? and well :lol he still has that same hair style even as a kid haha. It reminds me of Final Fantasy 7, a rpg game. You only see @#%$ like this in a comic book or a video game. For this film, I found the actresses doing a bad job. And it's usually the guys who can't act very well. Some of the sequences they did, it looked like the females weren't really giving an effort. Because of this, and how the movie moves along... you don't really care about the characters. The only thing you might actually care about is Dragon's issues, and his connection with Tiger I guess.

DTG is shot like how you would see it in a comic book. I'm sure you know what I mean. I didn't mind that, but for the fight scenes, especially with Donnie's fight in the beginning. It looked so bad. I've seen better in certain Wuxias. I know it's from a comic book, but at least try to make the fictional fight look believable.

I like how Nicholas Tse fights in Gen-X Cops, but for DTG he stunk. At least in the end fight, he gave a better fighting performance, unless he was doubled.

Someone said Chen Kuan Tai is in the film. I didn't see him. Who does he play?

Anyway, for this movie. It sucks, but the thing is... if you watch it with a kid's point of view or if you're someone who loves comics and video games. You might enjoy it... a little. I think if the movie was a japanese anime, it could possibly be better. The movie is forgettable. I don't recommend it. I really did wanted to enjoy it, maybe because it's directed by Wilson Yip, but sorry.

Dragon Tiger Gate did well in the box-office? I heard that it did. Hard to believe, maybe a lot of kids went to see it.

......... They are going to make a sequel to this :x and I think it's a bad idea.

Guest Riceboy2000

This film was decent. The first half was nothing special, but I think as soon as it got to Yuen Wah the fights were better. From then to the end they kept me entertained.

Oh and Chen Kuan Tai is the triad boss with white/gold hair (I forgot) that got killed in the park.

Guest limubai2000

Wow lots of bad word of mouth on this one amongst the community.

I saw it on the big screen with burnt subs in the Philippines last week. I liked it for being a popcorn comic film and it was better in some ways than some of the recent US comic book films.

I did like the fighting style of the characters that I'm assuming DY adapted from the comic, I'm referring more specifically to the stances which I thought were unique, I thought that gave it some decent flair. The fight scenes weren't great and they weren't bad either. I did like the first big bust em up in the beginning.

The film was slow at times and felt like it was dragging during some of the subplots but I've seen far worse.

I wasn't expecting alot so I wasn't letdown like alot of other folks appear to be. I thought House of Fury was better but again I think alot of folks here hated that.

Guest Liu chung liang

hmmm i said they were defending the school... i dunno, we find out that donnie's character left the gates long ago in the beginning. the movie is kinda like about gangs, and this plaque that's important because it has the power to demand the full cooperation of this one evil organization. then @#%$ happens and the DTG master gets killed, and the guyz take revenge. so it's pretty much about 2 gates, 1 good, 1 evil. the guyz get injured by the main villain named something i forgot, and the girl who plays chen kuan tai's daughter i believe, takes tse and yue to this one master who heals them and teach them these new techniques it looks like. donnie is like elsewhere in the woods maybe, and i don't know what he's doing. he lays on the ground, then later his so-call lover gives him medicine. next thing that happens, tiger and turbo are training. but the way they shot this scene, it didn't look like a training sequence haha. they did it with a lot of fade-ins and fade-out, and with a lot of cuts. they cut to dragon as well, but it doesn't look like dragon is training. he's like under water. very strange. it's still cool though LOL, because it looks like a scene from a video game. after this, our heroes go take revenge and we see the final fight.

dragon wong helps tiger and turbo after them two get their asses kicked. he doesn't pop up till then. donnie fights the main villain and beat the guy without help. he then goes back with his brother, and joins the gate again... it goes something like that.

i was watching it eating popcorn as well... sorry but it really bored me out. i didn't really care about dragon and tiger's past or the stupid love story between dragon and the main villain's adopted daughter. thats who she is right? i forgot. i didn't even care when yuen wah was getting beat to death.

our main heroes looked good, but not everyone else. the guyz look 'cool' or 'cute' or whatever and the sets looked great i suppose. everything looks nice, but has nothing going. i didn't even notice Chen kuan tai. man i thought he looked more like Ng Man Tat hahahaha. he looks really bad with that colored hair man... seriously lol.

2 scenes i like from the movie:

1. shawn yue turning music on his nokia cell phone. the film is promoting nokia cell phones LOL. everyone has a nokia cell in the movie haha. anyway, yue ask yuen wah to practice with him, then they fight. yue loses and comes back later with something to say. as this ends, wah lets him join the gates by letting yue do chores. small scene but i liked it.

2. is during the love story moment HAHAHAHA... yep. we see a flashback of them 2 lovers, then after that donnie's bitch says she's there to kill him or something. next scene, we see... it looks like she dropped dead into the pool where they were at. then they cut to donnie with him in one of the dragon stance and wind is blowing in his hair. i like this scene because it made me picture it as a japanese animation, and i've seen scenes like these in animes before.

i guess you can say the movie is decent. just don't compare it to SPL. if you're a fan of the comic 'dragon tiger gate' you might actually like this film.

I think the alley scene in spl was way better than the final fight with sammo..

I think after watching spl, since it was the last movie donnie came out..tat dey were expecting alot more in dtg..

I was wondering if anyone like the wall fight in seven swords..cause if u didn't..u can't tell me u have seen that fight in any other movies..

I think donnie is very creative in his movies..he does alot of fight scenes that you have never seen before..yea sometimes his shots are a little close..but I think thats his intention..maybe he was tryin to focus on a certain movement..who knows..

anyways...awaiting for the release..

Guest The Running Man
I was wondering if anyone like the wall fight in seven swords..cause if u didn't..u can't tell me u have seen that fight in any other movies..

I actually wanted to bring that fight up into discussion one day for a while now and I just kept forgetting. That is, IMO, the most under rated fight of the year and the single best moment in that lousy film.

And it lasts just a minute long in a movie that is about 156 minutes. :|

But yeah, thanks for bringing that one up. Funny how two of the best fights in the year involve Donnie Yen in an alleyway.

The wall fight in SS seems like parts of movies that I've already seen. If you've ever seen Treasure Hunt with Chow Yun Fat, there is a pole fight between Kuo Chui/Philip Kwok and Gordon Lau/Liu. If you have... Of course there is the alley fight from the end of Martial Club.

To me it just came off as rehash of the OUaTiC gimmick stuff.(OUaTiC 1/ladders...OUaTiC2 the table alter OUaTiC3 oil on floor fight/lion dance fight on the wood tower)

Guest limubai2000
That is, IMO, the most under rated fight of the year and the single best moment in that lousy film.

I just watched SS today and I'm inclined to agree. I can't believe Tsui produced such a horrible film. I don't think the director's cut can save this piece of junk.

Guest The Running Man
The wall fight in SS seems like parts of movies that I've already seen.

It isn't about how many things new you see...but how it's all put together.

I just watched SS today and I'm inclined to agree. I can't believe Tsui produced such a horrible film. I don't think the director's cut can save this piece of junk.

And here's the kicker...Tsui Hark announced not long ago that IT is his director's cut. :|

The shorter UK version actually makes it less embarrassing and a better film to my surprise. Although not a better film to the point that it's actually "good".

Guest Sleepman

I have to say the only two movies ive seen of Donnie Yen i like were Hero and Iron Monkey, i havent seen him in any other films that i like, Wing Chun was kind of cool

but yeun wo ping i wish he wold stop with the maniacal paced kung fu scenes.

I am ordering Dragon Tiger Gate tommorow from DDDHOUSE or whenever it is i am able to access the site

it seems i am unable to get to it today,

Dragon Tiger Gate there are more editions of this than for any movie i have ever seen including the bootlegs

on ebay i think i counted 7

And here's the kicker...Tsui Hark announced not long ago that IT is his director's cut.

Wow, for real? I guess my disappointment on that film will stay.

Strangely on IMDB boards, people seemed to hail SS, even calling the present cut version "perfectly enough".

I saw some of the fights of DTG on youtube, good but not great.

i havent seen him in any other films

You should check out 'Drunken Tai Chi', 'Tiger Cage 1-2', 'In The Line of Duty 4', 'Legend of The Wolf' (you might not like this movie) and 'SPL'. All those are great movies.

Guest tigerstyles

got this yesterday watched it straight away,.. realy enjoyed it some outstanding fights/ set peices... Donnie done some great work with these two guys,.. great Nunchaku battle at the end.. the comic style and costumes stoodout! great bootwork and weopon work from some of those badguys...

go get it.. better than SPL for action.

Guest Chen Zhen

DTG better than SPL in action? ya right...

to each his own...but theres no contest there. there were only 2 fights in DTG i thought were better than avg. SPL owns DTG in every way. imo of course.

Archived