Dragon Tiger Gate (2006)

Guest Sleepman

Guest Sleepman

whatever happened to Dragon Tiger Gate with Donnie Yen, does anyone know when this film is coming out?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest limubai2000

I don't know how but there is a boot floating around already...

I won't be getting it as it will be showing on the big screen in the Philippines when I go there in Septemeber!!!!

Guest Elhcay

Nice, entertaining summer flick. Nice, elaborate sets. Some dizzying camera-work. Simple, logical story about fighting for justice, with a nice touch of romance between Donnie Yen and Li Xiao Ran (She's the general's daughter in Seven Swordsmen).

Choreography is nice, but camerawork and editing, which are perhaps in some ways exploratory and perhaps to add to a comic-book style feel, make the fight scenes hard to make out at times, with too much close-ups, odd angles, and quick cuts. Nicholas Tse did some nice fanciful footwork in the opening, but the guy is probably a double. You don't see the face most of the time. Donnie moves are lightning-quick and crisp and did some nice exchanges against the main villain who is masked in the finale, but it's a shame that the fight is a little too short.

Wished that Xing Yu and Li Xiao Ran had more screentime.

Guest The Running Man

I would have been more excited about this movie if it wasn't for Donnie and Shawn Yue's hair.

Guest Chen Zhen

word is Yuen Wah completely stole the show with his brief scene. other reviews ive read say that the plot, dialogue and characters are paper thin and that the action is really the only saving grace.

ive never been a fan of the way donnie shoots his action with the closeups and all that, but he seemed to have been improving on it with SPL and twins effect...seems like hes back to his old tricks. well i still want to see it for myself..

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
other reviews ive read say that the plot, dialogue and characters are paper thin and that the action is really the only saving grace.

:lol News flash!!! ;) You just described 90% of the films in this genre!! :rollin

Guest limubai2000

According to the trades the sequel is greenlit and will be in theaters summer 2007 with the original cast returning.

Guest Dragons Forever

Hi all,

It's been a long time...:rolleyes

I watched DTG the week it came out. This film is pretty bad >: I was so disappoionted after watching it.

The plot is crap. You don't feel for any of the characters and there are so many questions about the past that was never answered.

I thought only Shawn Yue's character had a good moment when conversing with Yuen Wah, but that was about it.

I thought Yuen Wah was alright in the film, but I wouldn't say he stole the show.

The fights was nothing special, though they were OK enough to keep you entertained.

The romance was a load of Bull :evil

2 out of 5

Guest Liu chung liang

sup man... :D

is it that bad? so much for donnie yen. he did a good movie to ummm now what? he hit rock bottom with a bad movie?

i still wanna check out this title for myself though, even if you say it sucks lol.

Guest Yi Long

Donnie always makes about 1-2 good movies every 10 years orso...

This movie already looked gay from the get-go. Just look at Donnie's wig for @#%$'s sake...

Plus you shouldnt cast non-martial artists in a supposedly martial arts action flick... unless they can really REALLY fake it.

Guest chen lung

Donnie's wig?

I think that is his real hair... was like that I believe during an interview for 'Stormbreaker'.

Guest W Hong

It looks like that "HK Entertainment News in Review" website has still not been updated just because the guy in charge is still in the hospital. So since I can't use that website for now, can any of you tell me what were the opening weekend box office results for Donnie's "Dragon Tiger Gate" in H.K. theatres? Do you know if it was the #1 movie in H.K. on that weekend?

Do you also have any updates on the health of the person in charge of "HK Entertainment News in Review?"

Guest D1 Ma

Source: CRIENGLISH

"Dragon Tiger Gate", the new martial arts extravaganza from director Wilson Yip and star Donnie Yen has been kicking ass at the box office, earning more than 30 million yuan across Asia since its simultaneous release on July 28th. In just three days the comic book adaptation amassed 5 million yuan in Hong Kong and 12 million yuan on the Chinese mainland. This success comes despite some lukewarm reviews from critics who complained that the film had an overly simplistic plot. Unsurprisingly, there is already talk of a sequel being planned.

Guest 500Fan

I saw it in Hong Kong last week, and I liked it. No, it's not a fabulous movie, but it was entertaining (at least, it wasn't as bad as Ultraviolet, which I rented despite a friend's warnings not to, should have listened to him). I thought Donnie looked great with half his face covered by hair :lol Nic, too. I didn't expect a well-written story, so I wasn't disappointed. I'll probably get the DVD when it comes out, but I'll bet it won't be as fun on a small screen.

Guest sammofan

Can someone tell me if the fight action in this is better than the stuff in House of Fury? (If it's worse than I may give this a miss)

Guest sammofan

I found the action in House of Fury boring but I know that some people thought it was good ("it's Yuen Wo Ping it must be ok!") So I wanna know how Dragon Tiger Gate compares to it.

Guest Chen Zhen

well House of Fury is nowhere near YWP's finest work. a few of the fight scenes i didnt really dig...but the finale caught me offguard...especially considering the capabilities of the popstar cast. still the best popstar movie i've seen, and better than most films of the time, action wise.

cant realy answer ur question...yet...my copy is still downloading :)

Guest Chen Zhen

just skimmed through a few of the fights..

will have to watch the full movie, but the fights were exactly what i suspected. donnie went back to the stuff i hate from him, close ups and flailing arms. thats not to say there isnt some good choreography in there, cuz there is, but after all of donnie's hype, i cant say that this flick blew me away action wise. it was fine, with a few standout moments. personally, i'd take house of fury over DTG. donnie had some great moves tho. and the scene with yuen wah was dope.

Archived