Angie Mao intereview from 1974

teako170

Here are some scans from "Fighting Stars" magazine which featured an interview with the 24-year-old Deadly China Doll herself.

Part 1 now. Post the rest tomorrow. Enjoy, T

amao1.jpg

amao2.jpg

amao3.jpg

amao4.jpg

Guest Markgway

Not the most flattering of articles. Mao doesn't come across too well (but that may just be the author's perception). And I'm pretty sure The Angry River was filmed in Taiwan not Korea (though she did make several movies there).

And I'm pretty sure The Angry River was filmed in Taiwan not Korea (though she did make several movies there).

Have a piss-poor copy of this on VHS and have yet to watch.

Have you seen it mentioned elsewhere that it was made in Taiwan?

Anyway, final 2 sections....

amao5.jpg

amao6.jpg

Guest Markgway
Have you seen it mentioned elsewhere that it was made in Taiwan?

Now you're asking.... I seem to recall that most of the non-Harvest regulars in the cast were Taiwanese. I don't remember any Koreans at all. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Angela's third and fourth movies (Lady Whirlwind and Hap Ki Do) were filmed in Korea and that's when she worked with Ji Han-Jae and got her black belt. Slight confusion perhaps?

Anyway, final 2 sections....

Thanks for posting the article. Sometimes the less you hear from and know about your heroes (and heroines) the better.

This interview sounds to me as if it were "angled" from a certain perspective and the interpreter acted on part of the studio more so than the actress. This was not uncommon in those days. It's actually one of the details that Bruce Lee was changing with his new-found fame there. By being such an outspoken individual, he represented himself naturally, and wasn't led by the studio moguls.

At least Shaw stars seemed a bit more polished than GH players.

• Like 1

Cognoscente
On 12/22/2010 at 2:11 AM, The Dragon said:

This interview sounds to me as if it were "angled" from a certain perspective and the interpreter acted on part of the studio more so than the actress. This was not uncommon in those days. It's actually one of the details that Bruce Lee was changing with his new-found fame there. By being such an outspoken individual, he represented himself naturally, and wasn't led by the studio moguls.

At least Shaw stars seemed a bit more polished than GH players.

To be fair, the interview chapter in Alex Ben Block's Bruce book was equally awkward.

• Like 1