Sonny Chiba: Magician?

Michael L.

I know there is a movie where Sonny Chiba plays a detective undercover as a magician, but I recently ran across an article that referred offhandedly to the fact that Sonny Chiba started his career doing live stage magic shows. Being in the magic industry myself, I was a bit surprised by this statement. Trouble is, I can't find anything else to back it up. Anyone know if it is true?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea, but the movie is Roaring Fire aka Hoero Tekken. It's a fun watch, but not that great. There's a nice fansub available, too. I forget who did the subs.

• Administrator
No idea, but the movie is Roaring Fire aka Hoero Tekken. It's a fun watch, but not that great. There's a nice fansub available, too. I forget who did the subs.

Diagoro did the excellent subtitles.

Never heard that Chiba-san was a magician before- but it's certainly possible. He did a good job in those scenes in the film. Interesting.

Michael L- are you a full fledged magician? Do you do shows and all?

I actually make a substantial part of my living from magic so I guess so but I don't have white tigers or anything like that. I make promotional videos for performers (I've also directed three DVDs and another double disc caught up in legal hell). I also write and consult for a couple of guys. I am not in love with performing like a good performer should be so I prefer to stick behind the scenes. Usually I spend this time of the year performing as a (very expensive) Santa who answers kids' questions using magic and mentalism but I've been sidelined by a strep-like throat infection. I used to promote my martial arts school with a Chinese weapon twirler act (like when movie characters demonstrate their skills on the street to earn cash or attract jobs) that combined real kung fu, sideshow strongman stuff and geek magic.

Archived