Cantonese dub on Big Boss Universe dvd

BlurayStation3

BlurayStation3

I have the Universe dvd of Big Boss and it has a unique Cantonese track that I've never seen on any other dvd. The dubbing is different and it doesn't have Bruce's war cries. It has a few war cries in the final fight scene done by some random person. Does anyone know where this Cantonese track came from and why it's not on any other version?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like everyman and his uncle has had a go at buggering up the soundtrack. Why can't they just clean up the original mono tracks (both mandarin and english) first and then play about with the others!

The Universe DVDs came out in the late 90s and may have been the first Bruce Lee DVDs to hit the market. To embrace the new technology, somebody thought it might be a good idea to redo all the sound effects and remix the soundtrack on The Big Boss in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. It wasn't. These DVDs are horrible, and some of the fight scenes - especially from Way of the Dragon - are out of sync. Extras are very thin on the ground also: only one music score (the rubbish early 80s one) and one trailer (also 80s) for Big Boss.

BlurayStation3

I actually kind of like this version of the dub. It doesn't have the stupid war cries from the later movies which sound out of place. Also, everyone's voice sounds tougher and grittier.

Ugh... I remember that out of synch Way of the Dragon universe DVD. Brings back memories. Damn, I think I paid $40 for that.

Those were the days.

The Universe DVD, while it used the 80s music score (made up of Pink Floyd, King Crimson, and some other rip offs), the Cantonese and Mandarin dialogue tracks were completely re-recorded... right down to someone HORRIBLY trying to impersonate Bruce Lee's war cries on the Cantonese track.

Yes, they might actually have been worse than the "faux-Lee" yells in the US/UK version of Game of Death.

That being said, the Mandarin track was the lesser of two evils, as the voice actor for Lee thankfully didn't try to emulate his yells.

The Universe DVDs in general had some interesting variations on the norm... if you watch their DVD of Tower of Death, while they use the original Cantonese voice track, the music used for the 5.1 remix is from the ENGLISH DUBBED version of the film! It wasn't until I saw the HKL release that I knew what the original music score was like (aka, the score to The Dunwich Horror :tongue:)

i wish they'd left his war cries out as bruce never used any til his 2nd picture Fist of Fury. Even the old rank vhs uk version of boss didn't have his war cries - they had fist of fury trailer on the end after movie. boss trailer on the end of fist of fury tape.

Archived