How about 668 HD SB movies in a box?

Tosh

@ SadShawFan, thanks for your insights about the screwed-up corporate politics at work here… As for me (and I guess many others) I heard what I was desperately hoping to hear: That the picture quality is good, that all the movies are subbed and that the weaker earlier titles issued by IVL are looking better than they did before (the latter I honestly didn’t expect from Celestial…) I would have made the purchase for less reasons, actually… I mean, the box contains a sizeable number of films that I’ve never seen, movies that were never available in any halfway acceptable condition before. That alone would have induced me to part with 600-plus bucks.

SSF, are there any reasons that make you hint at the possibility that the box might be distributed in France or Germany ? And Germany as a “Shaw hot spot”…? Hmm, must have missed out on something here all these years…:squigglemouth:

@ Markgway, the five titles you mentioned weren’t approved for distribution because of Singapore’s censorship laws, is that what you mean ? So Celestial should be honest about that ?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
odioustrident

So the newly available titles in this box that a lot of us would like to see are which? Say we're not including crime, drama or exploitation, although I know a lot of you are looking forward to some of those.

Big Fellow

Thunderclap

TKAM

Well of Doom

Na Cha and the Seven Devils

Curse of Evil (is that even on here I forget)

Any more?

@ odioustrident: There are plenty more movies in the box which, for fans demand collecting and DVD ownership for your/their viewing pleasure (like THE BLACK ENFORCER, THE BLOODTHIRSTY DEAD (aka. Revenge of the Corpse), THE GAMBLING SYNDICATE, MURDER ON THE WEDDING NIGHT, I WILL FINALLY KNOCK YOU DOWN, DAD! etc).

@ all: I went through my catalogues and some items I have collected at a time the relations and interactions with Celestial (either per e-mail or at their offices) were perfect and - just to show you a couple of interesting items - I came across these: They are official Celestial Pictures photo index sheets of the available images (to be picked by designers of local and foreign distributors) which - back in the good old days - came along in a stack of promo CDs (to help potential customers to make their choices) with trailers and other materials included:

THE KILLER & OPERATION LIPSTICK:

001ogl.jpg

odioustrident

Nice... Know nothing about Gambling Syndicate; looks excellent from the images on hkmdb. Any other titles that may contain martial arts (or related niche value, e.g. horror/fantasy) outside of those listed above then?

Rough that The Villains and Lover's Blades didn't make it on.

• Administrator
@ Bobo: Yes! TKAM is in the box and yes... all 668 movies have proper English subs. Therefore the fan project (mentioned here in November/December 2010) for TKAM is totally obsolete to say the least!

Not really, since the subs produced by FuSubs are undoubtedly worlds better than the ones Celestial slapped on there. Once someone takes the FS subs and adds them on to this new version of TKAM it will make this boxed set version... well... totally obsolete to say the least! :wink:

Well I have over 400 HK SB remastered DVDs in my collection, and not one of them have what I would describe as "proper" subtitles. Most are Engerish at best.

Guest Markgway
@ Markgway, the five titles you mentioned weren’t approved for distribution because of Singapore’s censorship laws, is that what you mean ? So Celestial should be honest about that ?

That's the implication. But given that there's no reason for those 5 films (out of 673) to have been singled out for banning it looks more like an oversight. I know Singapore has very tough censorship but if this were a censorship issue then there are loads more films that would be viable candidates for cutting and banning. You could start with titles containing nudity and go from there.

odioustrident

Been waiting for The Villains for so long, ever since I saw The Bastard. Is this all the newly available (on this label) kung fu/ action on there?

Black Enforcer

I Will Finally Knock You Down Dad

Mission Impossible

Revenge of the Corpse

Big Fellow

Thunderclap

TKAM

Well of Doom

The Villains (???)

Gambling Syndicate

This Man Is Dangerous

Can we get a real list going?

Not really, since the subs produced by FuSubs are undoubtedly worlds better than the ones Celestial slapped on there. Once someone takes the FS subs and adds them on to this new version of TKAM it will make this boxed set version... well... totally obsolete to say the least! :wink:

Agreed - since the Celestial version of TKAM is only available on the ZiiEagle, for now the FuSubs version is still the best way to get it on DVD. For 99% of us, that's the only way to see it right now.

Not approved for distribution could mean that there is a rights issue, not a censorship one. I hope we see these films on the Ziieagle 2.0!

tantao3-son of tantao2

@sadshawfan

is The Villains in the box? as you told us by your "to wet our appetite" post?

Is Black Magic Part 2 in the ziieagle box?

I think there are more than 12 "No official Shaw productions" like Cosmopolitan, United, Power, etc. in the ziieagle box?

These celestial decisions make absolutely no sense: why is The Big Fellow in it? this is more a Taiwanese movie...same for New Game Of Death, 1975...which is a Taiwan movie too...there are many many more in the remastered catalogue...

Chemical Lemon

I would love to pick this up, it's a steal at that price. I'm not die hard enough to fly to Singapore for one though. Hopefully it will come out in HK and show up in China Town here in the states.

At the very least it renews my confidence that they're still trying to find a way to release these.

Guest Markgway

I'm guessing Shaws inherited the rights to The Big Fellow as part of their co-production deal with Kuo Hwa.

New Game of Death is a mystery to me.

tantao3-son of tantao2
I'm guessing Shaws inherited the rights to The Big Fellow as part of their co-production deal with Kuo Hwa.

New Game of Death is a mystery to me.

New Game Of Death was distributed by Shaw in Hong Kong in 1975. My guess is the "Celestial restauration crew" found it in the "Shaw vaults" and remastered und released it...

Guest Markgway
New Game Of Death was distributed by Shaw in Hong Kong in 1975.

I didn't know that... Wonder what made them pick up that piece of dreck for distribution?

My guess is the "Celestial restauration crew" found it in the "Shaw vaults" and remastered und released it...

Yeah, who needs The Killer, when we have classics like NGOD get priority.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Damn I need to go to singapore next year... If anyone is going during the summer let me know, I'll join you guys....

The price would be inflated yes, but I imagine it wouldn't be 3X and would be negligible compared to the expense and inconvenience of traveling to Singapore.

Creative wrote to me that there will be no warranty if I take the box back to Malaysia where I live. That makes me hesitate to purchase it. Wouldn't want to end up with a defective set even though Singapore is only 1 hour flight time away.

Archived