Secret of the Urn! Spring 2011

waywardsage

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest I'm puzzled by Animeigo's skill to pick up the least great Hideo Gosha films. The Secret of the Urn is good of course - a solid and surprisingly violent for its time chanbara adventure, and featuring a legendary character - but it's really the weakest of Gosha's 60's movies. Another 60's Gosha film out in the US, Sword of the Beast, is his second weakest 60's movie.

The Secret of the Urn worth a purchase if you don't own it yet (I've already got the French box set, so I won't bother again) but I do wonder when US companies start picking up Gosha's great movies from the 60's and 70's... Hitokiri (one of the all time best samurai films), Samurai Wolf 1 & 2 (superb samurai spaghetti westerns), Cash Calls Hell (awesome noir film and possibly Gosha's best movie), Violent Streets (Fukasaku meets Argento meets Peckinpah in one of the coolest yakuza films ever made), Three Outlaw Samurai (later remade as a far inferior HK film The Magnificent Trio)... At least Media Blasters released Goyokin.

I would LOVE to see all of Gosha's work release in the US. Its sad that this amazing director is practically unknown.

To be honest I'm puzzled by Animeigo's skill to pick up the least great Hideo Gosha films. The Secret of the Urn is good of course - a solid and surprisingly violent for its time chanbara adventure, and featuring a legendary character - but it's really the weakest of Gosha's 60's movies. Another 60's Gosha film out in the US, Sword of the Beast, is his second weakest 60's movie.

The Secret of the Urn worth a purchase if you don't own it yet (I've already got the French box set, so I won't bother again) but I do wonder when US companies start picking up Gosha's great movies from the 60's and 70's... Hitokiri (one of the all time best samurai films), Samurai Wolf 1 & 2 (superb samurai spaghetti westerns), Cash Calls Hell (awesome noir film and possibly Gosha's best movie), Violent Streets (Fukasaku meets Argento meets Peckinpah in one of the coolest yakuza films ever made), Three Outlaw Samurai (later remade as a far inferior HK film The Magnificent Trio)... At least Media Blasters released Goyokin.

I think it's been confirmed that Criterion owns some of his films. I just wish they would release them already.

BlackLamaFaction

The French through Wildside and Metropolitan have released mostly all of Gosha's best films: The Wolves, Hunter in the Dark, Samurai Wolf, Hitokiri, Goyokin, and Three Outlaw Samurai. I have customs of these that are good but that is tragic if Criterion has them and won't release proper English versions. This guy is one of the quintessential Japanese directors.

Right on Takuma, Cash Calls Hell is a magnificent film.

You have to give AnimEigo credit. At least they are releasing Gosha on the R1 format. Plus they released my personal favorite Gosha film Onimasa. The Wolves and The Geisha were also pretty good films.

I know Criterion has the rights to Three Outlaw Samurai as well as Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron, but for whatever reason they haven't released these films even though they have had the rights for a really long time.

What we really need is a R1 of Hunter In the Dark and Tenchu which are some of Gosha's best works.

Archived