The Descent (aka Crawlspace)...

Guest sevenhooks

Guest sevenhooks

Anyone check this yet?

I know it's been out for a minute in the UK/Euro market, but it just opened theatrically stateside yesterday.

Copped a boot dvd from a friend last week and finally sat down to watch it.

About halfway through and so far so good.

Creepy.

A cross between "Alien" and "Picnic At Hanging Rock".

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest teako170

Hey 7 - How's this compare to "The Cave?"

Don't know the backstory but its funny how two cave scripts came out around the same time - but then again that's Hollywood for you. Someone pitches a cave theme and bingo, multiple scripts emerge. Same thing happened several years ago with "killer asteroid on collision course with Earth" pitch gave us both "Armageddon" and "Deep Impact." And of course there's "let's make a Mars film" and we had "Red Planet," "Ghosts of Mars," and "Mission to Mars" - all within a year of each other.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Just got back from watching The Descent on the big screen. Very good stuff, I liked it alot. Very dark film , not for the faint of heart. Not a Hollywood style supper popcorn flick. Lots of tension, plenty of gore & great atmosphere. Plenty of jump in your seats moments. My only complaint was that the camerawork in some of the "action' scenes was too shakey. But on the other hand, maybe it was intentional to make them seem more pannicked/frenzied. I read that the US release was a different edit of the film than the UK/Euorpean version (suprise!). With a different ending than the uncut UK version. Can anybody who's seen the UK cut comment on this? I give it 4.5/5.

Forgot to mention the entire cast is just 6 hot (mostly) chicks. The chick who played Juno was damn hot!!

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Nevermind, I found some spoilers online revealing the original UK ending. Totally different from the US cut's ending. UK cut is darker (IMO). I dont see why the f*#k they changed it!? Either way its still deffinitely worth a watch.

Hey 7 - How's this compare to "The Cave?"

It has maybe 1/4 of the budget of "The Cave", and "The Cave" is "The Descent's" bitch!!

i feel that this movie is among the best horror films to have come out in the last few years, along with house of a thousand corpses, devils rejects, silent hill, and dead and breakfast (also a comedy).

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
i feel that this movie is among the best horror films to have come out in the last few years, along with house of a thousand corpses, devils rejects, silent hill, and dead and breakfast (also a comedy).

I agree with "The Descent" and "Silent Hill'. But "House Of 1000 Corpses" was one of the most dissappointing films Ive seen in years. And I thought "Dead & Breakfast" was retarded (imo). Anybody interested in a copy of "Dead & Breakfast" Ill give you mine for free!

Guest limubai2000

I liked the UK ending better. It made the film more creepy that she never got out.

Over at Rotten Tomatoes there are some good threads about this film and the allusion that it is about someone descending into madness, oh gee like the main character!

Archived