The Last Rites Of Ransom Pride

daisho2004

OK I just watched this movie tonight and I do enjoy a good western, that being said this movie had a lot going for it. Good storyline, great cast, good action. the only thing I wasn't to keen on was the flashbacks, and rewind effects it had that I could've done without. But overall a damn good movie that should have a cult following in years to come.

synopsis:

The Last Rites of Ransom Pride is a tale of bad bitches and despicable bastards who cuss and kill each other. It all starts when Juliette Flowers swears to bring the body of Ransom Pride home to Texas after he s gunned down in the streets of Mexico. But to do so, she must battle a murderous Reverend, a wicked outlaw, two savage bounty hunters and a vicious Mexican Bruja. With the help of opium smoking Siamese twins, a shotgun-toting dwarf, and Ransom s crackshot younger brother, Juliette spills blood on the border to honor her oath to Ransom Pride.

Below was a review on Amazon.com that I thought was pretty good so I post it:

A Surrealistic Masterpiece for the Modern Age, October 16, 2010

By

William Amazzini -

This review is from: The Last Rites Of Ransom Pride (DVD)

Every so often, a director takes a genre and rips it inside and out to create a vision which is totally his own but has respect for the works which already preceded it. Jodorowsky did it with 'EL TOPO', David Lynch with 'BLUE VELVET' , Quentin Tarantino with 'RESERVOIR DOGS' all come to mind. What director/screenwriter Tiller Russell has done is a variation on the revenge western but with touches of Salvador Dali and Sam Peckinpah. A lone woman gunslinger goes to Mexico to claim the body of her dead lover who was involved with a shooting of a priest who was the brother of a powerful shamanistic witch who runs the town and has a bone to pick with the lone woman. If it seems complicated , wait till you experience the other story which co-mingles with it. Add a pair of killer siamese twins and a gun toting midget and you have the genesis of a cult classic in the midst. A great cast which includes Kris Kristopherson, the brilliant Dwight Yoakam, and creepy Cote De Pablo (Ziva from the TV series NCIS)in an extraordinary performance as an ageless Mexican Bruja round out the mix but the scene stealer is Lizzy Caplan as Juliette Flowers, the gunslinger girlfriend. Recommended to lovers of bizarre cinema and those wishing to have a fresh view of the western genre, "THE LAST RITES OF RANSOM PRIDE' is a true masterpiece and probably will not be truly appreciated for many years to come.

61Fa3LBckfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived