Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

ShaOW!linDude

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Really? I'm cool with that. There's plenty of seafaring history and folklore to tap into for source material. As long as the writing and action is good I could stand another trilogy of Capt. Jack Sparrow.

The Pirate films have always been entertaining though the third one was the weakest of the trilogy; bit too convoluted though I've only viewed once. Glad to read Bloom & Knightley are not returning. Not that they were bad (quite good actually), its just that their story line was wrapped up at the end of "At World's End" and I think its time to go into a new direction. Hope the scripts are well developed and they can pump out another trilogy.

I think it looks really good, and if you remember that's how the last one ends where he is looking at the map for the Fountain of Youth.

Knightly grew one me some towards the end but unfortunately by part 3, I was thinking enough of these movies. The second and third part go from mediocre to just plain bad. They're going to run the Jack Sparrow character to the ground if they keep at it. I'll admit, the mermaid thing does look like it would be cool. The zombies should have looked more like..zombies.

The movie's probably not going to have much in common with it, but the book it's based on, On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers, is very good, as are his The Drawing of the Dark, The Anubis Gates, and The Stress of Her Regard.

daisho2004

OK I just seen this the other day, and to be really honest I should've waited for DVD! It was OK but really it lost its appeal & fizzle that the other ones had, there really wasn't anything all that great about this nothing that made the CGI SP/FX anything like the previous one so good, even though I was disappointed with the last one the Villians were really good. Now Ian McShane is in this as Black Beard and he was great, I aslo enjoyed Penélope Cruz but again this should've went straight to DVD. The 3D was horrible it just didn't look right. Overall if you really want to see this movie see it without the 3D.

Johnny Depp returns to his iconic role of Captain Jack Sparrow in an action-packed adventure. Crossing paths with the enigmatic Angelica (Penélope Cruz), he’s not sure if it’s love—or if she’s a ruthless con artist who’s using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the “Queen Anne’s Revenge,” the ship of the legendary pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane), Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn’t know whom to fear more: Blackbeard or Angelica, with whom he shares a mysterious past. The international cast includes franchise vets Geoffrey Rush as the vengeful Captain Hector Barbossa and Kevin R. McNally as Captain Jack’s longtime comrade Joshamee Gibbs, plus Sam Claflin as a stalwart missionary and Astrid Bergès-Frisbey as a mysterious mermaid.

I really adore Johnny, so I ran to watch in theaters Pirates 4. Here in Argentina was a complet succes, two months on screens and 2 million spectators, a record, literally, Pirates broke down the box office in all the country.

Few words about the film

I am very happy for the definitive farewell of Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom of the cast, they bored me to the top of my head.

I don't know why Verbinski do not directed Stranger Tides, Rob Marshall is a different type of director and I noticed some changes in the movie (not too much pirates on the water and more on earth thing)

Glad to see again the great actor Geoffrey Rush as Captain Hector Barbossa, he is a genious. And glad too for Kevin McNally as Mister Gibbs.

Concerning Ian McShane as Captain Blackbeard, his acting do not convinced me completely, I do not say he is bad, no, IMO Blackbeard is a strong character that he not gave the "blood" on him.

Penélope Cruz: she, as spanish one, spoke a weird english and I don't understand why the director do not took advantage of her origins and make to talk her a little more in spanish for make her character more sympathic. She is good in the film but not killed me.

Astrid Bergès Frisbey is the mermaid, well, a young lady, nice body, the perfect Hollywood bomb

One of the Mermaids group was argentinian, a model, Jorgelina Airaldi, look this link some pics of her and with Johnny

http://www.sanjuan8.com/espectaculos/La-sirena-argentina-de-Piratas-del-Caribe-20110519-0033.html

The plot? Nice, searching the Fountain of Eternal Youth, funny scenes with Jack (giant Johnny Depp), adorable Keith Richards returning in a short scene, the great scene of the furious mermaids in the bay attacking the crew...I watched in 3D, was good but I got my eyes tired, worth the pain.

Maybe I desired more water and galeons action... Verbinski style? Perhaps.

Great movie, fantastic.

Archived