New Guy Looking For Buying Advice

CyberSteak

So I'm looking through my old Betamax tapes (yes...Betamax and yes...I still have access to a player) and I come across one of my tapes with two of my most favourite childhood Kung Fu flicks Five Deadly Venoms, and Five Masters Of Death. I really haven't thought of these old films in a long...long time. And I wondered why I hadn't looked at replacing these tapes with some DVD upgrades. The thought of having these films remastered in widescreen is just too tempting to pass up. Got to checking around online (really...what did we do before the internet?) and have learnt so much about the genre and these particular films in a couple of days then I ever knew before.

Anywho...onto the purpose of the post. I made a few purchases and am trying to figure out if I got the best releases of these films.

5 Deadly Venoms was my first purchase. I picked up off of ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120650362054 and assumed it was the most recent release. Upon reading the item description, it stated it was full screen not wide. I emailed the seller but the customer service person couldn't clarify what aspect ratio the dvd was but did offer the UPC code 796019814232. Is this the most recent release? Is it in widescreen or fullscreen?

Five Masters Of Death was my next target. Came across a site that had it http://www.kungfumovies.net/17642.html (any reviews from anyone that has dealt with this site would be greatly appreciated). Not entirely sure what version I'm getting with this one (haven't got it in yet). What is the best version of this on DVD? If this ends up being some kind of cheap bootleg, I'm going to want to hunt for a better version.

Now with a little bit of googling I come to find out that the Five Masters of Death was just one part of a trilogy? Is that right? The other two films are suppose to be Shaolin Martial Arts and Death Chamber. Death Chamber is suppose to be a prequel that came before Five Masters but was filmed afterwards (not trying to teach anyone...just regurgitating what I have read to see if I got it right). Not sure where Shaolin Martial Arts comes in as far as the storyline order.

Death Chamber - never seen it before but since I liked FMOD I figured I may aswell check it out. I found it on kungfumovies.net as well and ordered it along with FMOD. Again...not sure what version I got, or which is the best, so any clarfication on that would be appreciated.

Shaolin Martial Arts - Haven't found that one anywhere yet. Was it released in North America? Is it worth purchasing?

A bit of youtubing and I start coming across all sorts of films I watched as a kid but had long since forgotten. Namely...The Kid With The Golden Arms!!! I loved this film and yet somehow completely forgot it's existance. It must have been a while from when I saw this and Five Deadly Venoms because I had no clue these were the same actors (hey...I was young). It's definately my next target but again, I want to make sure I got the best version out there. Did some reading on the forums last night ('til 3 in the morning) and read something about there being an issue with a particular release where an added scene was inserted out of chronological order. Is that the lastest release or has there been another release that took care of that problem?

More youtubing...Five Element Ninjas. Took me a bit to figure out if I had seen this one before. Scanning through some of the videos I found and came across the ninjas in the gold suits and realized...yep...seen this one too. So which is the best version of this one?

And hey if you've read this far 1) thanks for putting up with the noob and 2) if you could only recommend one Classic Kung Fu flick for me to pick up, what would it be?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum. There are several threads that may help you with your purchasing. Please use the Search feature and feel free to explore the board.

For R1 Shaws, go to the second post in this thread:

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6818

This is also an excellent link for Shaws:

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3558

If you have an all-region player, you can pick up many R3 Shaws at a variety of on-line places such as DDDHouse and YesAsia.

5 Deadly Venoms was my first purchase. I picked up off of ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120650362054 and assumed it was the most recent release. Upon reading the item description, it stated it was full screen not wide. I emailed the seller but the customer service person couldn't clarify what aspect ratio the dvd was but did offer the UPC code 796019814232. Is this the most recent release? Is it in widescreen or fullscreen?

This is the Dragon Dynasty release of 5V. It is wide, remastered, dubbed and has a great commentary track by Bey Logan.

70+ views and only one response? Yikes.

Well thanks for clarifying what version of Five Deadly Venoms I've got coming in (assuming of course they gave me the right upc code).

I can't seem to find anything on the site about different versions of movies and how they compare. Is there any place on here or another site where I can compare different releases of the same movie?

And it looks like kungfumovies.net sucks. Read some bad comments on here. Then did some checking myself. The email address that you're suppose to contact regarding your order, does not exist. I sent an email in three times to the address and all three bounced back. So I sent an email to the customer service email which seems to work to clarify what they're sending me and when. Apparently that's an issue with that site also (pictures not matching the product, and product taking forever to get sent out). Haven't had my credit card charged yet so I guess I haven't been ripped off...yet. And it seems these two movies haven't had a recent release like some of the others (5 Deadly Venoms). Should I wait on those or is there no word on whether either will be re-released?

Is there anything noticeably wrong with this version of The Kid With The Golden Arm http://www.redtagmarket.com/i/631595095685_Kid_With_the_Golden_Arm.htm UPC: 631595095685? Is this the one with the messed up added scene that was place in the wrong chronological order or was that an earlier release?

Thanks for any help. I know the answers are likely on here somewhere but there's SO much to route through I'm not having a lot of success finding answers.

Oh and reccomendations are still welcomed. :bigsmile:

I personally wouldn't shop at these random places. You are better off on Amazon. Amazon can be hit or miss, but not as much as eBay. Another good site to look at to check about the authenticity or availability of a DVD is the DVDDatabase, where collectors keep tabs of their collection

http://www.dvdaf.com/search.html?has=shaw+brothers&init_form=str0_has_shaw+brothers

masterofoneinchpunch
...Is there anything noticeably wrong with this version of The Kid With The Golden Arm http://www.redtagmarket.com/i/631595095685_Kid_With_the_Golden_Arm.htm UPC: 631595095685? Is this the one with the messed up added scene that was place in the wrong chronological order or was that an earlier release?

Thanks for any help. I know the answers are likely on here somewhere but there's SO much to route through I'm not having a lot of success finding answers.

Oh and reccomendations are still welcomed. :bigsmile:

I agree that the Panmedia version is pretty terrible (and legally dubious). However, its release is a part of KID history and therefore warrants documentation. This was a determination that I stand by. Plus, I seriously doubt the inclusion of the cover in the gallery of the LEGIT release is going to "promote" Panmedia's release.

Not to come off as (overly) cavalier, but if some customers can't tell the difference between a legit release and a bootleg, then they probably care less about these films than companies like Panmedia do and deserve what they get. Anyone buying a crappy bootleg isn't a lost customer for Media Blasters (or DD or whomever). It is my opinion (and please treat it as nothing more), bootleg buyers aren't interested in quality or legitimacy and therefore were never our customers to lose. However, if they ever get around to doing their research and start caring (particularly after eyeballing their shitty bootleg), there's potential to gain them. But all in all, it's really just one of the primary hazards of the DVD business, particularly those dealing in legit classic kung fu, and totally unavoidable.

@Morgoth:

The Easter Egg for the alternate edit is on the main menu. Hit the left button (I think) until it highlights the title. Hit enter.

So almost all of the Tokyo Shock/Media Blaster's releases are worth getting. Heck I have almost all of the R1 releases (and seen almost all that I have; I refuse to watch Brave Archer and His Mate until I get the previous two :D) at this thread: http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showpost.php?p=75734&postcount=2.

Best bet is to get the official R1 or R3 releases (there are issues, but you have to ask on a case-by-case basis) and get the R1s from sites like amazon.com and deepdiscount.com.

ShaOW!linDude

Welcome, CyberSteak.

As far as one recommendation goes, I suggest:

HEROES OF THE EAST

http://www.amazon.com/Heroes-East-Gordon-Liu/dp/B0010X741O/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1292290117&sr=1-2

I don't think there's anyone on here who doesn't love and appreciate this film. It's a major favorite among most everyone.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Like Teako said, if you have an all region player, the region 3 Shaws released by IVL are about 10$ a piece on DDDhouse.com.

If you don't have a region free player, then:

Five Deadly Venoms (aka Five Venoms): The best Region 1 released version is the one released by Dragon Dynasty. It's widescreen and subbed.

http://www.amazon.ca/Deadly-Venoms-Kuan-Tai-Chen/dp/B00284G2BC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292290648&sr=8-1

The IVL version is Region 3 and just as good: http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=3538

Five Masters Of Death (aka Five Shaolin Masters): There is no legit Region 1 release. The IVL Region 3 version is the only one available. It is a part of Chang Cheh's Shaolin cycle only in the themes but there is no narative connections between the movies.

Death Chamber (aka Shaolin Temple): There is no legit Region 1 release. The IVL Region 3 version is the only one available.

Shaolin Martial Arts: There is no legit Region 1 release. The IVL Region 3 version is the only one available.

Kid with the golden arm: The Region 1 version to get is the Tokyo Shock/Media blasters release. http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.551706/qx/details.htm

The Region 3 released verion by IVL is another good option, but it is the version that has a scene inserted out of chronological order. Frankly, this is the version I own and I never noticed it, never having seen the movie before... I really don't think it's that a big deal.

Five Element Ninjas: Again Region 1 Tokyo Shock, Region 3 IVL.

For your north american purchases, the best sites are Amazon, HKflix and Yesasia. As for asian sites, I prefer DDDhouse. I would be careful shopping on ebay, or lesser known sellers as you can be stuck with bootlegs on your hands. Hope this helps.

So almost all of the Tokyo Shock/Media Blaster's releases are worth getting. Heck I have almost all of the R1 releases (and seen almost all that I have; I refuse to watch Brave Archer and His Mate until I get the previous two :D) at this thread: http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showpost.php?p=75734&postcount=2.

Best bet is to get the official R1 or R3 releases (there are issues, but you have to ask on a case-by-case basis) and get the R1s from sites like amazon.com and deepdiscount.com.

Ok so wait...the recent DVD of Kid With The Golden Arm has the alternate edit, but it's something that has to be selected? Feeling a little confused. What you quoted from me, doesn't seem to match your response.

Like Teako said, if you have an all region player, the region 3 Shaws released by IVL are about 10$ a piece on DDDhouse.com.

If you don't have a region free player, then:

Five Deadly Venoms (aka Five Venoms): The best Region 1 released version is the one released by Dragon Dynasty. It's widescreen and subbed.

http://www.amazon.ca/Deadly-Venoms-Kuan-Tai-Chen/dp/B00284G2BC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292290648&sr=8-1

The IVL version is Region 3 and just as good: http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=3538

Five Masters Of Death (aka Five Shaolin Masters): There is no legit Region 1 release. The IVL Region 3 version is the only one available. It is a part of Chang Cheh's Shaolin cycle only in the themes but there is no narative connections between the movies.

Death Chamber (aka Shaolin Temple): There is no legit Region 1 release. The IVL Region 3 version is the only one available.

Shaolin Martial Arts: There is no legit Region 1 release. The IVL Region 3 version is the only one available.

Kid with the golden arm: The Region 1 version to get is the Tokyo Shock/Media blasters release. http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.551706/qx/details.htm

The Region 3 released verion by IVL is another good option, but it is the version that has a scene inserted out of chronological order. Frankly, this is the version I own and I never noticed it, never having seen the movie before... I really don't think it's that a big deal.

Five Element Ninjas: Again Region 1 Tokyo Shock, Region 3 IVL.

For your north american purchases, the best sites are Amazon, HKflix and Yesasia. As for asian sites, I prefer DDDhouse. I would be careful shopping on ebay, or lesser known sellers as you can be stuck with bootlegs on your hands. Hope this helps.

AWESOME! Ok, thanks for that. THat helped HUGE.

The Amazing Psycho Per

You're welcome.

If you like Five Venoms, here are a couple movies starting the same cast, known as the Venoms that are mostly as good and some i think better:

Crippled Avengers (aka Return of the Five Deadly Venoms, not a sequel)

Rebel Intruders

Shaolin Rescuers

Flag of Iron

Invincible Shaolin

Magnificent Ruffians

Masked Avengers

The Daredevils

Two Champions of Shaolin

House of Traps

Legend of the Fox

Sword stained with royal blood

Not all are pure Venoms movies, but they all star, part or all the actors. There are a couple others but those are the ones I think are the best.

masterofoneinchpunch
Ok so wait...the recent DVD of Kid With The Golden Arm has the alternate edit, but it's something that has to be selected? Feeling a little confused. What you quoted from me, doesn't seem to match your response.

Yes the recent DVD release of that film has the alternate edit and yes it is an easter egg.

And stay away from the Panmedia version.

Yes the recent DVD release of that film has the alternate edit and yes it is an easter egg.

And stay away from the Panmedia version.

Ok. I suspected that was the case so went ahead and ordered it last night. Looking forward to this one coming in.

Go to hkflix.com, they have different releases and comparisons

Cool. Thanks for that info. Going to bookmark that one right now.

Ok so just to clarify some things.

IVL=Celestial

R3=NTSC (always thought only R1 was NTSC)

Now I'm trying to purchase Death Chamber and Five Masters Of Death next. But it seems that the IVL version of FMOD doesn't have english audio (haven't checked Death Chamber yet)? Is that true? Is there no DVD version of the film with english audio? I LOVE the cheesey english dubbing of these films and can't stand subtitles (if I wanted to read, I'd pick up a book). If there's no english audio, that really puts a damper on things.

Also there appears to be two different covers of FMOD online...

The IVL one (?)

5ShaolinMasters_IVL_SC36.jpg

And this one...

33image11230307691.jpg

What version is this one? I've seen it on a few sites like kungfumovies.net and this site here... https://www.kungfuvision.com/item/5-Shaolin-Masters-33.html This claims that it's remastered, english dubbed and wide screen. Which sounds perfect...but it's not the IVL version. So what is it?

Oh and an updated on kungfumovies.net. Been emailing them for 4 days straight now. No response from them whatsoever. They haven't charged my card yet either so I'm not quite sure what to make of them.

Morgoth Bauglir

The bottom picture is a Panmedia/Red Sun bootleg with a really crappy sounding English dub. The IVL is the way to go if you have an all region player.

But there's no english audio in the IVL version right?

No, IVL discs typically don't have the english audio track.

Also, I wouldn't worry about it being R3 or R1. As long as it's NTSC you can always rip the disc and burn it to a dvdr and play it in any standalone player (assuming you don't have a region free player).

No, IVL discs typically don't have the english audio track.

Also, I wouldn't worry about it being R3 or R1. As long as it's NTSC you can always rip the disc and burn it to a dvdr and play it in any standalone player (assuming you don't have a region free player).

Sometimes the obvious escapes me. Thanks for reminding me. Any word on if FMOD is going to be released by one of the better company's with english dubbing?

When I first watched the movie years ago it had english audio. I'm guessing the Panmedia doesnt have the same audio track.

It has the same English track but it's poorly customized.

Poorly customized? How so? There's got to be a in depth discussion on this somewhere. Anyone care to point me in the right direction as I don't seem to be having any luck on finding details. Don't want to be "that new guy who's such a pain".

If you really need those in english dubs,find a place to download them.Or maybe someone in forum can help you out.There is no point in supporting bootleggers.

Update on my order from kungfumovies.net.

Checked my credit card today and noticed a charge from Masterkiller.com. Apparently the two are connected. Ordered on the tenth and am only now (the 20th) getting notice through my credit card statment that my card has been charged. Worse yet is that they charged an addtional $4.16 from what was originally quoted on the invoice. So I'm on the phone with my credit card company to dispute this.

Morgoth Bauglir

Looks like a dubious site. Taking a quick browse through their movies I couldn’t find a single kung fu movie released by a legit company. I wouldn’t trust a site like that.

Archived