Game of Death (Snipes, 2010) - Review

Karlos

Hi all

It was only recently that this was mentioned afresh on here, so imagine my surprise at the timing when my old friend, Don Load (ahem), passed me a copy along today for a view.

This offering from Snipes puts him in the role of a CIA man, tasked with keeping an eye on Robert Davi, a very rich and powerful man indeed, and all goes smoothly until Gary Daniels and Zoe Bell enter the fray.

OK, the plot is super slim (and I've not gone into all of it, as a) I don't want to completely spoilt it for anyone wanting to see it, and B) within ten minutes you'll have guessed it anyhow.)

It's sad to see Snipes seemingly trapped in this endless churning out of sub-par DTV films and GoD is no exception.

Flatly shot, perfunctorily scripted, this Die Hard in a hospital wannabe shows that no-one here is having any fun, and that includes the viewer.

Anyone hoping - and with this cast it'd be perfectly reasonable - for some kick ass action will be hugely let down: there's are a small amount of brief skirmishes, and to be fair, Snipes moves faster and smoother than I've ever seen him move before, but they're all over before they've begun.

The fight between him and Daniels, a fight which should've been the absolute highlight, is literally two minutes long.

Granted, Daniels is as fast as ever, and it threatens to be a good scrap, but quickly Snipes' character starts pulling off some nasty MMA moves and pow, it's over.

Bell fares as poorly, given little to do, apart from grimace and spout heard-em-all cliches.

Davi and the always watchable Ernie Hudson have almost nothing to do, too.

I really wanted to say, hey, what a pleasant surprise this was but sadly, this is yet another nail in the coffin that is Snipes' reputation.

This is due out to buy on DVD/BR February 15th - needless to say, save your cash.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Was wondering about this.

What a waste of a re-used title.

The way you explained it is exactly what the trailers looked like.

ShaOW!linDude

Wow.

You know, K, you rarely ever say anything harsh so this really speaks. That sux, dude. I was so psyched for this movie. I still want to watch it at some point but I sure won't be running out to get it when it hits the shelves. I'll just bide my time and wait for a super cheap used copy, the day will come.

Thanks for the heads up but now I'm just disappointed.:cry:

i wished the end fight was a slight bit better like u said.

but i liked the movie it was way better then all his latest Dtv movies!

well i mean, i havnt watched them only seen the posters/covers/some trailers , they all looked so week and bad i didnt wanna see them lol, but this one had a nice trailer, and a nice cast ,Snipes/Daniels/Zoe Bell, i loved her in Death Proof,it was ok not the best movie i ever seen not the worst, but i liked it lol..

Archived