What's with 'The Association' (1975)?

kungfuandcoffee

kungfuandcoffee

Strange Kung Fu/exploitation hybrid. It looks like something went awry in production. Tien Ni is soooo gorgeous (prudish as always) but her part is shoehorned in. Angela Mao's part is small. Carter Wong comes in and tells everyone that Rosebud is a sled and a symbol of his lost childhood innocence. Simon Yuen has a ONE SECOND cameo in a flashback. What's with the Go-Go Satan Abortion Style? My favorite part is when the hero decides that the best way to protect the woman is to hide in her closet and wait for the bad guys to come in!!!!

Golden Harvest was voted the best studio here. Is this their worst film? It's more entertaining than sloppy, but sloppy nonetheless.

• Like 2

• Administrator

Dude, any chance you could edit your post and write ***SPOILERS AHEAD*** before your text? I haven't seen it yet, and well... that really sucked to read that. :crossedlips:

• Like 1

Dude, any chance you could edit your post and write ***SPOILERS AHEAD*** before your text? I haven't seen it yet, and well... that really sucked to read that. :crossedlips:

Good news here, KFB and make believe...

The film is still worth a peek. There are some good fights and Wong Ing Sik is his usual bastardy self.:wink: The film looks like it's trying to crossover into another Shaw-like genre;

Flesh and Kung Fu.

What was mentioned earlier will not spoil your viewing.

• Like 2

Good news here, KFB and make believe...

The film is still worth a peek. There are some good fights and Wong Ing Sik is his usual bastardy self.:wink: The film looks like it's trying to crossover into another Shaw-like genre;

Flesh and Kung Fu.

What was mentioned earlier will not spoil your viewing.

True...I have the VHS version lying in my garage. I saw it maybe twice. The star is another Korean martial artist who I thought did pretty well, Byong Yu.

• Like 2

• Administrator

Thanks for the above edit kungfuandcoffee. :wink:

Dragon and Albert- I'm glad to hear that. And to both of you guys, and kungfuandcoffee, thanks for sharing your enthusiasm about the film. I have it, but never got around to checking it out. But you've got me intrigued.

• Like 1

A bad HK attempt at blending "Pinku Eiga" with gung fu.

You've just made me want to watch it more. I'm going to move it into the 'have to watch soon' pile.

• Like 2

Haven't seen it yet either. Most of what I've heard is pretty bad, but it was directed by Chen Chang-ho (Heads For Sale, King Boxer, Broken Oath) so it can't be all bad, can it?

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer

I recently got through watching this one as part of Shout Factory's 'Martial Arts Movie Marathon' set. It's a pretty fun movie if you watch it partially inebriated, as any 90 minutes would be that contain go-go dancing abortionists, exploding skulls, naked lesbians, and horny old men having their crotch energetically stomped on. I posted a review for it here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/association-the-1973-review/

• Like 4

This film was the main reason why I got the Shout set. Not bad, although I was maybe expecting a bit more

The Association (Hong Kong, 1974) [DVD] – 3/5

“She was from a good family, but she was not a virgin. Look at those huge nipples.” This line, spoken by the film’s hero, sort of summarizes what’s wonderfully wrong about this sleazy kung fu film about a detective determined to bring down a woman trade association. One moment he’s giving a moral lecture to a lecherous old man exploiting women; the next, he’s attaching electric wires to a female suspect’s nipples to interrogate her. Messy plot and relatively standard execution keep this from being great, but it does move at a good pace and offers some fun to be had. There are quite a few (naked) Caucasian ladies in the film, and as typical to Asian films of the era, they are no beauty pageants, to put it kindly.

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 4

Killer Meteor

I notice early on a fight between Sammo and Wilson Tong is interupted by a wipe to another scene, and at the end it's looks as though Wong In-sik is going to jump out of a window and fight Angela but a freeze frame and dubbed over gun-shots change that. Carter Wong's only scene is non-fighting. Was Byong Yu ensuring no-one else got to have a proper fight sequence?

• Like 3

ShawAngela
9 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I notice early on a fight between Sammo and Wilson Tong is interupted by a wipe to another scene, and at the end it's looks as though Wong In-sik is going to jump out of a window and fight Angela but a freeze frame and dubbed over gun-shots change that. Carter Wong's only scene is non-fighting. Was Byong Yu ensuring no-one else got to have a proper fight sequence?

I don't remember that, it seems that I have to rewatch it. I have the Joysales dvd and a Mandarin with French subtitles dvd, i'll compare both in order to see if something is cut, but...in a while, I guess, since I have a lot of work...

• Like 2

Cognoscente
9 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I notice early on a fight between Sammo and Wilson Tong is interrupted by a wipe to another scene, and at the end it's looks as though Wong In-sik is going to jump out of a window and fight Angela but a freeze frame and dubbed over gun-shots change that.

Maybe he didn't want to lose to a girl, so they had to improvise.

• Like 2