Kamui Gaiden w/Free T-shirt (aka Kamui the Lone Ninja)

mpm74

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer
Has anyone seen this movie? Seems to be some positive buzz surrounding it.

This was playing at a friend of mines house a few months ago....although I can't say I was paying 100% attention, the general impression I got was that, as is sadly the case with most Japanese action movies of the last few years, it was an overlong and pretty monotonous affair.

A quick search of any online reviews seem to confirm that this is the case, I guess if you have to get it.....get it for the t-shirt.

On a side-note I also have the directors last movie (he is ethnically Korean), 'Soo', it was pretty bad.

daisho2004: Great minds think alike... it's the Billy Lo syndrome. =D

Cool shirt though. Not so in-your-face.

One Armed Boxer: I feel the same about most period (newer ones, not the old school ones) films... they're kinda.. ehh... but, they're either HIT or MISS in the long run.

BlackLamaFaction

It really wasn't a bad movie at all. Much better than I expected. The ninja effects were not overdone. There is a cool scene right in the first fight where Kamui is being pursued by his old clan, the way they fly through the air as their chasing him looked pretty cool. Not to mention Kamui's special ninja technique where he gives another ninja a super power bomb from the treetops. The story was also pretty good, it reminded me a lot of Okamoto's Waring Clan's. It's certainly worth a T shirt

Just a heads up: DeepDiscount.com has both the Blu-Ray & Standard DVD for release on 12-28-10

BR- $20.39

Standard- $16.99

I'm also assuming no T-shirt is included.

This movie is actually pretty good so far. =D I had to get to bed (it was 2am), but I have yet to see the climax!

“Kamui Gaiden” is the story of a Kamui (Ken'ichi Matsuyama), an ex-evil ninja who turns his back on his evil ways to pursue a peaceful lifestyle. However, everywhere he goes, he is followed and attacked by his former ninja clan, who now consider him a traitor.

“Kamui Gaiden” (not to be confused with “The Dagger of Kamui,” a novel/anime that explores similar themes) is based on the popular manga “The Legend of Kamui,” but don’t let that fool you into thinking you’re walking into a happy-go-lucky, bubblegum tale. Sure, it has its cutesy moments, but mark my word - this flick is bloody, brutal, and surprisingly, downbeat.

The martial arts choreography is swift, simple and easy on the eye. As expected in a ‘ninja’ film, there a bit of jumping and flying around, but it never gets completely out of hand. The cgi effects, which are spotty, somehow work. I enjoyed the brief descriptions of Kamui’s specialized attack moves, which are reminiscent to reading about what a video game character can do.

Not all the action consists of blades flying, dicing and slicing; there’s a brief moment where are Kamui takes on killer sharks, which seems a bit out of place (I’m not sure if this is a scene taken from the manga).

Whether it’s Korean, Chinese or Japanese, I’m not the biggest fan of these newer swordplay/fantasy/period/martial arts movies. These types of films bore me to death. Call me an old geezer, but I’ll take some 1960/1970’s Shaw Brothers shit before the majority of this new stuff any day.

“Kamui Gaiden” is an exception. Together with a brief Manga-style intro, and an opening action sequence (think George Miller’s “Road Warrior,” only without the cars), “Kamui” grabbed my attention instantly. There are some slow-moving, talky instances, but for the most part, the film is never boring.

See if you can spot Hong Kong star Ekin Cheng (“Young and Dangerous”), who has an extended cameo in the film (even in Japan we can’t get away from this guy).

Recommended.

daisho2004

I wanted to revisit this post I forgot all about this movie, has anyone else seen it and what did you think about it?

i own a copy and i liked the flick. fair share of nice action sequences, better than average sets, lame lead actor, solid to very good supporting actors, competent direction, cinematography is a lil better than that of the average contemporary samurai/ninja romp outputs, screenplay`s pretty good with some minor flaws afaiac. same with the production values. doesnt look cheap and shabby at all.

if u want totally serious, deep, atmospheric, go with fighter in the wind, mibu gishi den, gojoe senki and the likes; if u want totally zany, cheesy, over the top, try s/t like sword of alexander, death trance or aliens vs ninja et al. if u want s/t in between (azumi would probably my #1 pick in this regard) its safe to check out kamui gaiden for 2 hrs of decent entertainment.

daisho2004

OK I just finished watching this movie, and I thought it was good. I did like the storyline, but the CGI with the Ninjas flying all over the place jumping from tree to tree was way over the top cheesy. Not as much action as I really thought there would be, but it did have a few good action scenes. More of a drama than an action movie, with Kamui trying to escape his past while constantly being hunted by his clan, when he runs into a female Ninja from 14 years prior who he and his clan tried to Kill for running away also, where she now lives with her family on a small fishing village. And Kamui is trying to to adjust to a normal life. Overall definitely worth a watch.

Archived