Is Along come the Tiger..

kurtz

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

I love it! And im not even a big Wong Tao fan! I have the Rarescope release, and it's most def worth buying! great audio comm With Wong and Toby Russell, decent pic quality, nice looking menus etc.

A flawed film, but definitely worth a watch.

I liked it. When it comes to non-SB/GH fu flicks, Along Comes The Tiger is IMHO one of those that stand out.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

This film is great. Some flaws, but don't they all have 'em. Kao Fei's role is really cool, very eccentric, and great attitude. Bruce Lee's top student does a great job here as well. For the money this is a great buy. Probably one of Rarescopes highest quality releases as well.

masterofoneinchpunch

I'll also state that it is easily Rarescopes best film from a quality standpoint. I wouldn't say it is a great MA film, but I did enjoy it. Easily worth the watch.

Here's some notes I took from the commentary:

Along Comes The Tiger (1977: Taiwan: Rarescope): commentary by Toby Russell, Wang Tao

Can’t always follow what Toby Russell states [sounds a bit garbled] I might want to go over this commentary again. I’m writing this used on notes I took when this release came out (2006).

Finished film in 22 days.

Wang Tao never wanted to produce another film again.

No notes for Tommy Lee’s fighting (Gam Ming).

Wu Ma was also shooting another film angering Wang Tao, stating again he did not like being producer. [not sure which film this would have been, Wu did a few that year]

Wu Ma would drink on set.

Several girls used were models.

No regulation shooting with kids

Wang Tao understand 60 percent of Cantonese

Says Jackie Chan was doing stunts in Hong Kong at this time.

Like HK martial art directors better than Taiwan.

Tommy Lee had outside problems.

Film did OK when released; Wang Tao put up money for it.

Shot a few scenes in Korea.

Loves Once Upon A Time In The West (which this is partially based on)

Tommy Lee left to HK then to USA to cook.

Cheers guys for the replies - much appreciated.

I've seen it for a ridiculously low price (£3) and elsewhere a ridiculously expensive one (£25), as if its about to go out of print or something..

may go for it..

Thanks again..

I agree with whats been said on this one- there's almost an abstract theme to this film in parts- well worth picking up if you can get it cheap- also get fatal needles v fatal fists (should be easy to find) - I was very surprised by how good it was- better than eagles claw and the hot,cool,vicious imo

Morgoth Bauglir

I didn't like this movie too much, but it has some good scenes. As others have said it has a great commentary. It's well worth getting just for that.

It ended up going up to £7 and I held off..a couple of weeks later dropped to £1.99!!

SALE!

I quite enjoyed it, great commentary as you guys said - especial value at £1.99 though... :bigsmile:

Thanks guys

Archived