Most unforgettable Japanese movie Images ..?

Athena

Hello everyone !

Japanese Classics are usually full of stunningly beautiful & unforgettable images ...Even the almost " too slow " movies are often breath taking visually ...It is hard to choose only one as the BEST!! But here is on of my favorite Images of Japanese Classics .. From the totally kick ass movie LADY SNOW BLOOD !

2122952707_41bddf5545.jpg?v=0

It is my theory that this is the true inspiration for this scene in the not "so good " but stunningly beautiful MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA !

154367_1238379536951_1753156524_432062_6331677_n.jpg

What are the other MOST unforgettable Japanese movie Images ??

Take care, Athena ..♥

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Japanese cinema produces the most visually striking movies in the world. These are all dvd screenshots, not promotional stills:

Sukida

JPkirei1.jpg

How to Become Myself

JPkirei3.jpg

Nerawateta gakuen

JPkirei2.jpg

Shiki-jitsu

JPkirei4.jpg

Tattoeed Life

JPkirei5.jpg

I'm going to go with images from Lone Wolf & Cub, these are some pic's that just give you that WOW factor.

This one is with Daigoro when he is lost from his Father and is being followed by one of the ex Yagyu clan members who has been hunting Ogami Itto for years. and he comes across Daigoro who picks up a stick and shows him his Father's Sword Style:

Ogamidaigoro1.jpg

This next pic is when they are reunited and is really one of the true senses of how much love he has for his Son. I thought this was a great scene in the movie:

shogun_01.jpg

And the classic opening scene pic:

lonewolfandcub7sd.jpg

BlackLamaFaction

ubik-tbavi_snapshot_011228_20101207_110411.jpg

Here it is. The one and only Raizo Ichikawa taking on no less than 500 men at the end of The Betrayal. This scene made me an Ichikawa fan for life.

Always liked this one

throne-of-blood-21.jpg

But I have to agree with peringaten, that scene in Ran is unreal and is probably my favorite of all time.

masterofoneinchpunch

Kurosawa has so many great images from so many great films. I need to make more snapshots from Japanese film.

Kagemusha (from DVD Beaver):

Dang it Beaver prevents the image from coming through. I'll try another:

1670_4.jpg

One of the most iconic images I recall is from "Sonatine." The image is spoilery but I hope every has seen it anyway...

2idk0.jpg

harakiri.jpg

Hard to top this one for me. Although, the scene where Nadakai is mesmerized as Mifune cuts down the entire ambush while billowing snows bluster around them in Sword of Doom, is pretty darn close.

One Armed Boxer

So many to choose from, but I`ll have to go with the horror genre based on the fact that it was this genre that got me into the Japanese movie scene, or more specifically, these 2 movies, `Ringu` & `Audition`.

post-203-144191888254_thumb.jpg

post-203-144191888255_thumb.jpg

post-203-144191888256_thumb.jpg

post-203-144191888656_thumb.jpg

post-203-14419188866_thumb.jpg

Guest WuxiaFan
I'm going to go with images from Lone Wolf & Cub, these are some pic's that just give you that WOW factor.

This one is with Daigoro when he is lost from his Father and is being followed by one of the ex Yagyu clan members who has been hunting Ogami Itto for years. and he comes across Daigoro who picks up a stick and shows him his Father's Sword Style:

Ogamidaigoro1.jpg

:yociexp57:YES!!

Out of all of the LWC movies, THAT scene is probably my single most favorite scene! Especially the look Daigoro gets from the other samurai! I get chills just looking at that screne shot!

masterofoneinchpunch

How about images from Japan you will never see again (it is all city now). From Mr. Thank You (1936) and the great underrated director Hiroshi Shimizu.

mr-thank-you-1.jpg

mr-thank-you-bus-500.jpg

Kwaidan had some stunning images, especially the backdrops to Lady in the Snow and the ocean battle scene in Hoichi the Earless, along with the music played on the Biwa, the Tale of the Heike .

Kwaidan_TopTen.jpg

kwaidan-400-x-300.jpg

imagesCAW6N43U.jpg

kwaidan202.jpg

Stuntman Jules

Kwaidan is the best example, its production values are so good and its imagery is so lush it easily rivals anything the West was doing at the time including Kubrick and David Lean's work, Masaki Kobayashi's films definitely are rather similar to both. Ironically Kwaidan was a massive box office bomb in Japan but won acclaim and success abroad. Kurosawa and Kobayashi were both accused of making films "for Western tastes".

Too lazy to post screengrabs or stills, but the scene where Hoichi the blind minstrel is painted from head to toe (but sadly not, wink wink, ear to ear) is pure distilled visual stun.

Japanese cinema, indeed, is quite visually accomplished. Chinese cinema with a few exceptions such as King Hu, Tsui Hark, Zhang Yimou, Ching Sui-tung, John Woo at his best, etc, is so often below it in production values. Japanese cinema also often has a thematic depth that Chinese cinema, which is often more commercial, is rather devoid of.

The music in Kwaidan melt perfect with the images, I've come to love traditional Japanese music through these films, along with traditional Chinese and Thai music, but the Japanese have a way of almost perfecting these things, here's the link, the song of Heike starts at the beginning of Hoichee about half way through, the Biwa is such a strong beautiful instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHYjs_CSL9o

Couple more images that come to mind, Throne of Blood speaks for itself, the master of the full moon cut, and I'll never forget the first time I saw the beginning of LWaC -

kurosawa-throne.jpg

smallquare8sh.gif

fullmooncut250xe0.jpg

lone-wolf-and-cub-1-02.jpg

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Very few films are as beautifully filmed as Ugetsu (1953)

ugetsu23.jpg

mizoguchi-ugetsu.jpg

I love this film. Haven't put it in for a while.

masterofoneinchpunch

I feel Dodes'ka-den (1970) is Kurosawa's most underrated film. Beautiful use of color throughout the film.

4795129708_97932c2d54_z.jpg

Archived