Dojo Challengers # 1 & 2

daisho2004

I ordered these 2 movies from Merlin over at SamuraiDVD.com and while these remastered versions are superb as is the subtitles.

Now I don't know why these movies are considered a pt. 1 & 2 pt. # 2 has nothing to do with the 1st. movie at all. I enjoyed both movies but the action in pt.# 2 at the end was more exciting, so I would favor that on over pt. #1, but I did like the storyline in #1 better.

DOJO CHALLENGERS 1: SAMURAI FROM NOWHERE

a20792012c0d30b419e6d2_m.jpg

From "Ame Agaru" the same novel that gave birth to AFTER THE RAIN, comes one of the greatest samurai films of all time. Co-starring Nagato Isamu and Tanba Tetsuro as two wandering ronin who make their living by "Dojo Yaburi" (literally Martial Arts School Breaking) where they challenge and defeat the master of a dojo so they can extort money for not telling anyone what they did. Misawa Ihei (Nagato) is traveling with his wife who abhors the practice of sword fighting for prize money. The ever beautiful Iwashita Shima plays Tae, the daughter of the clan's chief counselor who married the low-ranking Ihei to avoid becoming the clan lord's mistress. Into the mix comes Oba Gunjuro, a mysterious ronin who will do anything for money. This leads to a fitting climax as the forces of hate and love converge while the couple attempt to break through the border!

DOJO CHALLENGERS 2: SAMURAI FROM SOMEWHERE

a20792012c0d34360e77f0_m.jpg

This brilliant motion picture is also based on the writings of Yamamoto Shugoro. It tells the story of Young Lord Takenaka who stands to succeed his father until a series of violent actions lead his retainers to think that he has gone mad with blood-lust. Never offering any explanation, he continues his seemingly unprovoked attacks until he is sent away from his domain. The secondary title "Mondo Muyo" translates roughly as "no need for questions and answers" or in effect "Don't waste your breath asking why". There is superb action throughout and regardless of his bloody actions, Takenaka presents a sympathetic persona. The grand finale brings the reasons for his crimes out as a revelation unlike anything ever seen in a samurai film. This is Japanese cinema at its finest.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlackLamaFaction

I truly envy you. I see both films star two of Gosha's Three Outlaw Samurai. I have heard of a pretty bad bootleg of Samurai From Nowhere floating around, but I never heard of a subtitled version of Samurai From Somewhere. Remastered versions of both!!! I have got to order these right away! Thanks for the heads up Daisho.

Archived